Sign in to follow this  
Parkdaddy

“Seeing” Effect Rule

Had a specific question that I thought may have been answered before, but couldn’t find it, so I hypothesized a general question that becomes more relevant the more that new interactions and special upgrades are released, which also answers the question I want to ask. 

I will 1) pose the current state of effect resolution as I see it, 2) give an generic better illustrate the question, and then 3) pose my question.

Timing, effects, and resolution queue. 

When a timing hits (ie, end of round, during an attack, etc...), upgrades with that timing get put in the queue for resolution and are resolved according to initiative, as each player sees fit.

1) In Armada, this is currently simple because the board state does not often change as a result of resolving effects in the queue, WHILE those effects are being resolved. All modifications to an attack are resolved before the attack resolves, and therefore no squadrons or ships are removed from the board during the resolution of effects with a “while attacking” timing ...currently

2) to better illustrate, I’ll use a generic sequence of events followed by specific example from Star Wars Destiny. 

*Timing Alpha occurs

*Queue generates: Effect 1, Effect 2...

-Effect 1 resolves

-Effect 2 resolves

*as a result of Effect 1, Effect X was put into play, which has Timing Alpha. However, because it was not in play to “see” Timing Alpha, it does not get to resolve, even if other effects with the same timing are currently resolving. 

This is how FFG has ruled with other games, and it has come up in Armada via Raddus/Bail, and Pryce/Hyperspace Assault, etc... other upgrades where a set-aside ship forgoes the opportunity to use an effect.

A “seeing” rule is consistent and easily applied within this context  

3) The “seeing” rule becomes tricky, however, when effects get put in a queue and then the board state changes as a result of those effects, before the timing is over, and in a manner that significantly alteres the way other effects still in the queue would resolve. 

Specific example to follow, and then I’ll shut up. 

Fighter Coordination teams allows you to move squadrons after you move, provided they are in range. Flight Commander allows you to perform a squad command after you move. Say you end your movement out of range to move any squads, but still in range to command squads.

They both have the same timing, so they both get put in the queue, and you choose to command squadrons first. You move the squadrons into range of FCTs, then use FCTs to move them an additional 1. FCTs “saw” the timing and therefore got put in the queue, but it did not “see” the squadrons until during the resolution as a result of the board state changing, while it was in the queue. Is this legal?

1 hour ago, Parkdaddy said:

Fighter Coordination teams allows you to move squadrons after you move, provided they are in range. Flight Commander allows you to perform a squad command after you move. Say you end your movement out of range to move any squads, but still in range to command squads.

They both have the same timing, so they both get put in the queue, and you choose to command squadrons first. You move the squadrons into range of FCTs, then use FCTs to move them an additional 1. FCTs “saw” the timing and therefore got put in the queue, but it did not “see” the squadrons until during the resolution as a result of the board state changing, while it was in the queue. Is this legal?

Just to point out (since I'm sure somebody is gonna ask), FCTs is written as "at close-medium range", so this scenario is possible with Boosted Comms. 

But yeah, that would be legal.

They're two effects with the same timing, same as deploying a MC75 with Raddus and then deploying a CR90 from that ship with Profundity. The MC75 wasn't even in play until Raddus fully resolved, but you can still resolve Profundity because you're still at "the start of any round". 

Svelok has the right of it.

this question was asked (and answered) in regards to Raddus and the Raddus bomb in particular:

Effects generated at a timing window may be resolved as long as they share that exact timing window, even if they did not exist to be chosen as an effect when you started resolving effects of that timing window. 

As svelok said, Armada doesn't follow that said "seeing" rule.

We also have Demolisher, who was rewritten to specifically avoid attacking after the ET's maneuver, while, before that, it was allowed to attack after ET's maneuver and in between maneuver.

So, no matter how weird this sounds, it would be legal, at least from the precedence we have.