haritos

Reading new ship articles has become pointless for me without point costs

Does anyone here get excited about reading new articles any more?

This is the first time this happens to me, I see new 2.0 ship announcements and don't even bother clicking. What's the point, with so much information missing? Great, you gave this X pilot this cool new ability. Or you made interesting changes to a 1.0 upgrade. So what? I don't know their cost. I don't even know where I can slot some of them!

The whole points-in-the-app thing is something I find positive for the game, but man they should at least find a way to make these articles interesting, or just dont release them at all until the app is out.

Update: Please don't justify this new approach by saying that in 1.0 people used to build lists months ahead of release. FFG's idiotic article release schedule is to blame for that. And instead of changing it, they will keep bombarding us with articles months ahead of release , only now they will be completely point-less! 

Edited by haritos

it's more pointless right now because the conversion kit spoilers have spoiled literally all the upgrades - but yeah, I agree, it's a little pointless to do the spoiler articles.  I'm hoping that the aggressive release schedule they're planning lowers the lead time significantly going forward so we on more like 2 or 3 weeks before release for spoilers, rather than months.

It means that things aren't played out when they're released - but it also makes the discourse around those things un-freaking-bearable because nobody knows how they will actually work without the points aand/or slots.

39 minutes ago, haritos said:

Does anyone here get excited about reading new articles any more?

That‘s your own and our all fault though. We as community pressed the information out of leaks, movies and chats, compiled it into handy documents and overanalyzed every tidbit we could.

Otherwise we definitely would be excited for every article.

Thus we - people who took part in the described behavior, actively or passively - are not the target audience of these articles and have no grounds to complain.

I am extremely glad and thankful that the point costs are not spoiled in advance anymore!

16 minutes ago, Rodrigo Istalindir said:

I'm glad.  I'm looking forward to tournaments where every combination hasn't been tweaked to death in Vassal for six months before stuff hits the streets.  

Yep.  Wouldn't it be great if the app wasn't updated with upgrades and point costs until the day of release?

16 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I am extremely glad and thankful that the point costs are not spoiled in advance anymore!

I'm quite sad they're not - while I can understand why (and the rebalanacing possible via the app is great), it's really hard to get any sense of how a given pilot or upgrade will fit into a list.  I understand that's not for everyone, but I really enjoyed musing over potential list building for forthcoming releases, and I'm confident I'm not alone in that. ? 

Edited by Jarval

You don't want points costs spoiled now.  You think you do, but you don't - it almost killed AGOT LCG to have all the info out months before release.

It meant when the game finally came out everyone serious had been playing it for months, had solved the meta and were bored of it.  It also meant any new casual players got annihilated because the serious players had solved the meta, so they left the game.

The later the points come, the better.  I'd be fine with them being released a month AFTER the ships.

14 minutes ago, Jarval said:

I'm quite sad they're not - while I can understand why (and the rebalanacing possible via the app is great), it's really hard to get any sense of how a given pilot or upgrade will fit into a list.  I understand that's not for everyone, but I really enjoyed musing over potential list building for forthcoming releases, and I'm confident I'm not alone in that. ? 

I am too. But think about the ‚Reaper is DOA‘ and ‚Genius is broken‘ threads. And imagine how many more we would see if all we had were head simulations and small scale anecdotes. Some fall more for it than others. And based on the repeatedly demonstrated predominant behavior on these forums, those who fall for it are either a majority or a loud minority. In either case they shape the perception of the game, and not for the better.

Additionally what SOTL just wrote.

Taken together, I am a bit bummed that we don‘t have points yet. But way stronger is the realization that it is for the better, and that is why I am happy and thankful for the lack of spoiled points cost and upgrade slots.

3 minutes ago, CapitanGuinea said:

if tournament will be played with the Quick Builds cards, Points are coming to be less and less important. One should concentrate on the Quick Build now.

If.

There's been no indication of this whatsoever.

And it would be super questionable given that they don't exist at all for some ships, particularly Saw/Reaper.

7 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

If.

There's been no indication of this whatsoever.

And it would be super questionable given that they don't exist at all for some ships, particularly Saw/Reaper.

Not true - it's specified as one of the three events supported by the Deluxe Wave Kits.

The perfect complement to the first wave of expansions, the Deluxe Wave 1 Kit contains 50 patronage cards to reward customers who purchase X-Wing products in your store, as well as a range of custom prizes to support three different events – a Quick Build Party, a Themed Tournament, and a Wave Championship. 

51 minutes ago, SOTL said:

Not true - it's specified as one of the three events supported by the Deluxe Wave Kits.

Oh, so it is.

Cheerfully retracted.

I do wonder about the lack of quick builds in the Reaper and Saw even more now, than, especially as they mean that Scum will be overrepresented in W1 thanks to Lando's falcon being in there.

yeah i hope in the future once we got the app it updates with the spoils.

People are going to be hesitant to buy a ship blind. Knowing the dial and abilities is really minor. If they gave us a ship with 14 greens, 5 different turnaround moves, a 4/4/4 statline, and amazing abilities but it was literally your list was that one ship people would be rather pissed they bought it expecting it to be pricey, but not THAT pricey.

21 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Oh, so it is.

Cheerfully retracted.

I do wonder about the lack of quick builds in the Reaper and Saw even more now, than, especially as they mean that Scum will be overrepresented in W1 thanks to Lando's falcon being in there.

Reaper and Saw aren't in Wave 1, surely, they're Wave 14?

16 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

People are going to be hesitant to buy a ship blind. Knowing the dial and abilities is really minor. If they gave us a ship with 14 greens, 5 different turnaround moves, a 4/4/4 statline, and amazing abilities but it was literally your list was that one ship people would be rather pissed they bought it expecting it to be pricey, but not THAT pricey.

If a ship had all that and you didn't expect that to take up all your list then I think you need to adjust your expectations of power levels.

2 minutes ago, SOTL said:

Reaper and Saw aren't in Wave 1, surely, they're Wave 14?

Well... if they're not wave 1 but some wibbly interim between 1e and 2e, then there's a potential balance problem given that Scum will have 4 ships to choose from in W1 where the other factions only have 2.

I mean, theoretically it shouldn't be a balance problem per se, but at the very least Scum will have a lot more variety.

20 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

We should all have learnt by now that pre-ordering is a mistake - unless you void your right to complain about your purchase.

For those not pre-ordering nothing will be different, nothing at all.

I preordered a core set because I am 100% certain I will buy it. Everything else can wait the week or two until I go get it, and I won‘t suffer any disadvantages in any form. Highly recommended!

1 minute ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

So you jumped ahead to the last 5 pages of a mystery novel and now somehow the book is unreadable. The author will not be able to help you with that. 

I'd view it more as I saw the trailers for the movie and they spoiled everything that was remotely cool about the movie.