Smutpedler

1.0 fatuige

Our local X-Wing night and events have really dropped off in attendance recently. I know it's summer over here in the UK and people are enjoying the 2 weeks of sun we get per year but even so it seems really quiet. A number of players I've spoken to have said they're pretty much over 1.0 and have no motivation to play until 2.0 comes out. I'm very much the opposite myself, so many lists and pilots I've never actually put on the table i want to get them all out before they become a footnote in history.

What I'm wondering is; are you finding a similar situation locally? Or is my locale just an anomalous pit of apathy?

12 minutes ago, GLEXOR said:

All of the guys in my area that are going to Gen Con are done with 1.0 as soon as they get back, that would include me if I had the dough right now. I think almost everyone is done with the mess that is X-wing First Edition.

Our small gaming group is in much the same position. If it wasn't for a new player or two we would all say see ya until Sep 13. The balance that 2.0 brings, just makes 1.0 a giant mess that I don't really want to play anymore. 

There's been a little bit of a drop locally, although at least some of that is down to the World Cup - turns out there's a bit more of a football/Star Wars geek overlap than I expected!  That said, we've also got some people heading down to give their 1.0 stuff a send off, so it's a bit of a mixed bag.

I'm still pretty hyped, but it takes a lot to dampen my X-Wing enthusiasm! ? 

We are seeing similar issues in my local area.  Summer coupled with 1.0 angst has a lot of people looking to 2.0 in September.  Store championships are getting lower than expected attendance as well.  It is expected to pick up after 2.0 launch.    

I’ve seen drop off because folks see a light at the end of the tunnel.

At the store champs I played, there was only one meta squad (and an older one at that- trip wooks made a last showing) and the rest of us were doing whacky ideas because why not.

I am done playing OP events now until 2.0 :) I’ll play another epic game and I may get some funsy stuff in on the side with family but I’m good to wait until 2.0

I personally feel that way myself.  In my case, it is a combination of :

1 - Fighting Nym and Myranda is getting old (people are playing it as much as possible while they can)

2 - I have a counter that works against most known archtypes, but after winning a few tournaments with it, I am starting to find it boring to play

3 - Most of the prizes will not be as useful when version 2.0 comes out.

4 - Also, summer vacation, family and all that good stuff

So yeah, like many others, I either play wacky stuff in the interim or pass on tournaments entirely.

Looks like this is a pretty common situation then. Can't say I'm surprised at all. It's just a bit of a shame I have so many stupid lists to play at least once and no one to play against :) 

I tried running an epic day at the FLGS to give the old doorstops a send off but no one showed up and we only had 4 players at a tournament this weekend. I guess I'll just have to keep nagging people until they play my Imperial Kath and Krassis list :P 

Yeah, nationals is a thing, obviously, but everything else is just marking time until 2e I feel. E: store champs are on too obviously but I managed to get what I wanted out of the one I went to thanks to a friend making the cut who didn't want his Krennic, so I'm probably not going to bother with any more.

Edited by thespaceinvader

Not really. I just won my first Store Championship, and have about 6 more to go to. Attendance at my local stores seems about the same.

While 2.0 is X-Wing Miniatures first major edition change, I've played too many versions of other games to really care that much. They'll fix some stuff and break some other stuff, and the game will go on.

I see a little bit of it at my local store, but most of the core player base is still in it. The addition of the t-65 buff and the Reaper have given most of the guys something fun to chew on while waiting for 2E. We have been doing some experimenting with letting known medium base ships in 2E use it for 1E games, let us get use to the way it moves.

Edited by SabineKey

Our community grew a little in the months just before the 2.0 announcement and has maintained.  People are still interested in doing well at store champs, so there's plenty of attendance at regular nights. 

Me, specifically...I can't attend any of the local store champs before GenCon, and won't care about 1.0 after GenCon, so I have one 1.0 list with me to practice for GenCon and some 2.0 proxy stuff.

It varies in my area:

One group is still playing strong for store champs and gencon, but I expect we'll keep playing 1.0 at normal summer levels until the full 2.0 files are available (gencon?) then it's looking like all proxy play until the actual release.

Another group has dropped to a core of people who fly jank for fun where we're just trying to get it all out before everyone switches over. 

4 hours ago, Smutpedler said:

Our local X-Wing night and events have really dropped off in attendance recently. I know it's summer over here in the UK and people are enjoying the 2 weeks of sun we get per year but even so it seems really quiet. A number of players I've spoken to have said they're pretty much over 1.0 and have no motivation to play until 2.0 comes out. I'm very much the opposite myself, so many lists and pilots I've never actually put on the table i want to get them all out before they become a footnote in history.

What I'm wondering is; are you finding a similar situation locally? Or is my locale just an anomalous pit of apathy?

I done with 1.0. After my store championship I won my first 2 matches but got tabled my the cancer that is NymMiranda with TLT, BOMBLET, HARPOONS, ETC. Basically every thing wrong with 1.0 was in this list. 

For me, it's more like 2.0 fatigue.

We just had 4 guys start XWM; now the game is belly-up.  Each player has less than a 1/2 dozen ships, and since they are spread across all factions, the conversion kits make no sense economically.

For my brother and me, it's exactly the opposite; we have way too many ships to convert.  And the dials the other guys would want are the same dials we would keep (Ghost, for example), so sharing kits still makes no sense.

And in any event, we mostly play Epic, so the whole change-over is a big "what about us?"

Our favorite online builder has gone south, and Voidstate is disinclined to fix it thanx to 2.0.

Lastly, statement like this:

5 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

The balance that 2.0 brings,

are just hyperbole, since no one has any real idea how 2.0 is going to pan.

Not much new is in the pipes thanx to rereleasing all the ships, a retooled X-Wing is still just an X-Wing, and these boards have become nothing but speculation about a game that is not even on the market.

Any creativity I used to have about the game is gone since A). I can't be creative about a game I don't know, and B). Anything I would do for 1.0 is DOA for this audience.

The new guys have turned to other games because they don't want to get invested in something that is dying, and 2.0 is too much of an unknown to be of interest for them.  So, for my group, 2.0 has killed playing the game rather than revitalized it.

Thus, for me, I'm tired of hearing about a game no one has played, I'm not able to play until September, and unlikely to play for years after that.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Scum who?  The only list that sparkled recently was "Joustero". But now with jam and double if not quadruple jam being a thing... Good luck with that.  It's a token dependent list.