Hrathen

Forums are for speculations, so let’s speculate, what is “Something Big”

2 hours ago, Crabbok said:

I would easily buy a space station expansion.  

Though to be perfectly fair, what I REALLY want is Deep Space 9.   Trying to find that old Wiz Kids version isn't easy though. 

Whole kit, dials and all or just the model? Because I have both the retail and prize ones, and I am about done with that game.

3 hours ago, MerryVulture said:

Whole kit, dials and all or just the model? Because I have both the retail and prize ones, and I am about done with that game.

Really just the model.   Though to be perfectly honest I don't really have room for it.... but I'd love to run custom scenarios with it.   Of even set it up with some ISD's docked up against it.   Would look slick.  

2 hours ago, Crabbok said:

Really just the model.   Though to be perfectly honest I don't really have room for it.... but I'd love to run custom scenarios with it.   Of even set it up with some ISD's docked up against it.   Would look slick.  

Who does? Yet we find a way, don't we??

On 7/23/2018 at 9:40 PM, Nostromoid said:

Namby-pamby guesses that are disclaimed by maybes and dunnos are for protocol droids and Rebel scum. 'Round here we make strongly worded predictions and stand by them.

A second edition? Absolutely not. Gen Con won't announce Armada 2.0, I predict. (I would be happy with it, though.)

• Reason 1: The development cycle is too long. X-Wing 2.0 interrupted the cash flow on their most lucrative game, and I'm sure the last thing FFG wants to do with their flagship minis game is to use it to subsidize its smaller games while they stop putting out expansions and instead undergo repairs to the rules. Expect FFG to stabilize things before they overturn another game.
  • Reason 2: Armada doesn't need 2.0 as much as X-Wing did, both in terms of how rough some of the design was (X-Wing was wholly unexpected in its success, and some of its best ideas were implemented halfway along its lifespan, and still took several waves to iron out) and in terms of how ancient the rules are (X-Wing is about twice as old as Armada at this point).

Prequel factions? Not happening. Gen Con also won't announce prequel content for Armada.

• Reason 1: X-Wing will always get the good stuff before other games, and X-Wing hasn't had prequel factions announced. And X-Wing won't have prequel factions announced any time soon, as FFG continues the rollout of 2.0 stuff. The X-Wing pipeline is going to be 2.0 rollout for a long time now, and no one should expect Armada to get prequel stuff until X-Wing gets prequel stuff. Armada isn't going to jump ahead of X-Wing in getting new eras of play.
  • Reason 2: It's really hard to introduce new factions that can go alongside seven waves of Rebels and Empire. Consider what FFG would have to do. A Core Set with CIS and Republic, followed by an all-prequel wave, followed by years of pouring expansions into the new factions while still keeping the GCW era factions from rotting away from power creep and neglect. What about FFG's handling of Armada over the past year and a half makes you think we're about to see that?
  • Reason 3: It would dilute an already small gaming community. We love our game, and we know it's rightfully the greatest minis game out there. But there aren't as many of us as there are players for other games, and FFG doesn't make as much money from us as they do from other games. It would be silly for them to make a business decision that splits the community into smaller sections. FFG would have to produce more products (Empire, Rebel, CIS, Republic), while expecting that many players wouldn't buy everything. It's a money-losing proposition.

"Something big" is the Executor. Whether you like it or not. I'm not gonna get into exactly how they should implement it, but simply the reasons why they would.

• Reason 1: We will buy it. FFG is in the business of making money, and they will sell a lot of it. Yes, even a lot of people who swear they won't. It's gonna be pretty and shiny and new.
  • Reason 2: It's important to the game. We play fleet battles from Star Wars, and yet we don't have a key battleship that was lavished with Original Trilogy screen time, and we don't have a highly recognizable admiral as commander. The Executor-class was even more important in the EU novels, and we know that the Armada team likes to acknowledge those books when designing expansions.
  • Reason 3: We have been waiting on it for a long time. If you've read the tea leaves with enough mad obsession over the past year or two, the signs have been there. SSDs sneaking into artwork for Entrapment Formation and TIE Defenders, Corellian Conflict leaving the door open to ships larger than Large, SWM20, the Eclipse being teased in the new novels, and the endless rumors from that guy who knows a guy who knows playtest Bothans.
  • Reason 4: It doesn't have to be effective within organized play. The Executor could still be a welcome addition to the game even if it only truly shines in a special campaign format, if it only shines in a brand-new Epic format, or even if it is hot garbage on the table and can't actually defeat highly optimized Rieekan aces. It would still sell well just by virtue of being an awesome model, and being cool and new for the game, and by drawing in new players. The one thing I'm sure is that they won't make it unbeatably  overpowered for 400 point play (they almost couldn't, even if they wanted to). Not saying I want it to be a bad ship, I'm just saying we can expand our imagination beyond the assumption that FFG is designing this exclusively with tournament play in mind.
  • Reason 5: Every single argument against it comes down to "I don't think FFG is creative and there's no way they could reconcile a gigantic ship with the rules system that they have, no matter how they choose to do it." Too strong, too big, too slow, too shooty. The people who invented this game can figure it out. Either it will dwarf other ships and be a fleet-killing terror in a new Epic format, or else it will be a semi-abstraction that packs as much SSD power into a digestable platform that the game can accommodate. But they've spent a lot of time tweaking it, so I wholly dismiss any argument that it's just impossible.

When Executor happens, I'd like to wish for an end to Arvel Crynyd memes and suggestions that those ten seconds of RotJ become somehow enshrined in the game, but I know I'm asking for the impossible.

Sir I say sir. I challenge you to a duel.

I am pretty confident that our next wave is Clone Wars factions.

Dave Filoni told me personally that Armada's next wave is Clone Wars factions with an Essentials Box (Cheap Starter) and 8 expansions - 3 Ships per for CIS, 3 for Republic, and 2 squadron packs.    Starting Commanders are Ahsoka, Anakin, and Obi Wan, for Republic, with Dooko, Grevious, and Assaj Ventress for CIS.   

Also, I sometimes totally make stuff up.   Is this one of those times?   

1 minute ago, Crabbok said:

Dave Filoni told me personally that Armada's next wave is Clone Wars factions with an Essentials Box (Cheap Starter) and 8 expansions - 3 Ships per for CIS, 3 for Republic, and 2 squadron packs.    Starting Commanders are Ahsoka, Anakin, and Obi Wan, for Republic, with Dooko, Grevious, and Assaj Ventress for CIS.   

Surely the great @Crabbokwould never lie to us.

1 minute ago, Crabbok said:

If that's true, I kind of fear how much money I'll have to spend on battlefoam again...

9 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I wish I had the balls to start a post with “David Filoni told me personally...”

... true or not, I don’t thibk I actually could...

David Filoni told me personally to tell you that "you need to be more confident Dras". Then he gently held me while he brushed my hair. At least I hope that was David Filoni.

I really hope its not Clone Wars because I'd rather have more stuff for the game I already play than have to buy a new fleet or two for what iseffectively a new game. Also I didn't enjoy the prequels that much and never watched the Clone Wars series so I really have very little interest in that era of Star Wars. So probably a pass from me. I would rather see an Armada 2 or an Executor.

40 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

And of course we find ourselves on opposite sides again.? I am with @Battlefleet 01 Studios.

@Nostromoid, @Battlefleet 01 Studios, Gentleman your seconds have been chosen. When shall the dueling commence.

GenCon at dawn! 

Crud that doesn’t work. 7 PM next Wednesday then!

6 minutes ago, Plessiez said:

I really hope its not Clone Wars because I'd rather have more stuff for the game I already play than have to buy a new fleet or two for what iseffectively a new game. Also I didn't enjoy the prequels that much and never watched the Clone Wars series so I really have very little interest in that era of Star Wars. So probably a pass from me. I would rather see an Armada 2 or an Executor.

Agreed, I really don't want another faction.  I am actually souring on the SSD as well because I think it will be gimmicky and/or more of an objective for campaign or a special scenario.  I want something I can play to add to standard 400 point lists.  I'm getting quite worried that next Wednesday will come and go and we will get nothing, or something we really didn't want or need.  I'd put Armada 2.0 in that pile, we don't need a 2.0 the game is in a great state, don't mess with it.  I just want a new ship for each Faction with an optimistic release of mid December but probable release of Q1 2019 plus a commitment for more attention to the game (I won't hold my breath on that one).

Very well @Battlefleet 01 Studios, a duel it is! An elegant dispute resolution mechanic, from a more civilized age. Blasters at dawn?

Next Wednesday might be the day that two forum users murder each other over a Clone Wars core set.

Or it might be the day that @Drasnighta eats a TIE fighter squadron.

Or it might be the day that Admiral Nelson rises from the grave to exact his unholy vengeance.

27 minutes ago, Nostromoid said:

Very well @Battlefleet 01 Studios, a duel it is! An elegant dispute resolution mechanic, from a more civilized age. Blasters at dawn?

Next Wednesday might be the day that two forum users murder each other over a Clone Wars core set.

Or it might be the day that @Drasnighta eats a TIE fighter squadron.

Or it might be the day that Admiral Nelson rises from the grave to exact his unholy vengeance.

What if we get......

ALL THREE (dun dun dun)

Edited by Battlefleet 01 Studios

This forum when FFG finally reveals something for Armada:

maxresdefault.jpg

4 hours ago, Crabbok said:

Pft, no wolves FAKE LEAK 0/10. :P

Edited by Animewarsdude

On 7/24/2018 at 11:40 AM, Nostromoid said:

Namby-pamby guesses that are disclaimed by maybes and dunnos are for protocol droids and Rebel scum. 'Round here we make strongly worded predictions and stand by them.

A second edition? Absolutely not. Gen Con won't announce Armada 2.0, I predict. (I would be happy with it, though.)

• Reason 1: The development cycle is too long. X-Wing 2.0 interrupted the cash flow on their most lucrative game, and I'm sure the last thing FFG wants to do with their flagship minis game is to use it to subsidize its smaller games while they stop putting out expansions and instead undergo repairs to the rules. Expect FFG to stabilize things before they overturn another game.
  • Reason 2: Armada doesn't need 2.0 as much as X-Wing did, both in terms of how rough some of the design was (X-Wing was wholly unexpected in its success, and some of its best ideas were implemented halfway along its lifespan, and still took several waves to iron out) and in terms of how ancient the rules are (X-Wing is about twice as old as Armada at this point).

Prequel factions? Not happening. Gen Con also won't announce prequel content for Armada.

• Reason 1: X-Wing will always get the good stuff before other games, and X-Wing hasn't had prequel factions announced. And X-Wing won't have prequel factions announced any time soon, as FFG continues the rollout of 2.0 stuff. The X-Wing pipeline is going to be 2.0 rollout for a long time now, and no one should expect Armada to get prequel stuff until X-Wing gets prequel stuff. Armada isn't going to jump ahead of X-Wing in getting new eras of play.
  • Reason 2: It's really hard to introduce new factions that can go alongside seven waves of Rebels and Empire. Consider what FFG would have to do. A Core Set with CIS and Republic, followed by an all-prequel wave, followed by years of pouring expansions into the new factions while still keeping the GCW era factions from rotting away from power creep and neglect. What about FFG's handling of Armada over the past year and a half makes you think we're about to see that?
  • Reason 3: It would dilute an already small gaming community. We love our game, and we know it's rightfully the greatest minis game out there. But there aren't as many of us as there are players for other games, and FFG doesn't make as much money from us as they do from other games. It would be silly for them to make a business decision that splits the community into smaller sections. FFG would have to produce more products (Empire, Rebel, CIS, Republic), while expecting that many players wouldn't buy everything. It's a money-losing proposition.

"Something big" is the Executor. Whether you like it or not. I'm not gonna get into exactly how they should implement it, but simply the reasons why they would.

• Reason 1: We will buy it. FFG is in the business of making money, and they will sell a lot of it. Yes, even a lot of people who swear they won't. It's gonna be pretty and shiny and new.
  • Reason 2: It's important to the game. We play fleet battles from Star Wars, and yet we don't have a key battleship that was lavished with Original Trilogy screen time, and we don't have a highly recognizable admiral as commander. The Executor-class was even more important in the EU novels, and we know that the Armada team likes to acknowledge those books when designing expansions.
  • Reason 3: We have been waiting on it for a long time. If you've read the tea leaves with enough mad obsession over the past year or two, the signs have been there. SSDs sneaking into artwork for Entrapment Formation and TIE Defenders, Corellian Conflict leaving the door open to ships larger than Large, SWM20, the Eclipse being teased in the new novels, and the endless rumors from that guy who knows a guy who knows playtest Bothans.
  • Reason 4: It doesn't have to be effective within organized play. The Executor could still be a welcome addition to the game even if it only truly shines in a special campaign format, if it only shines in a brand-new Epic format, or even if it is hot garbage on the table and can't actually defeat highly optimized Rieekan aces. It would still sell well just by virtue of being an awesome model, and being cool and new for the game, and by drawing in new players. The one thing I'm sure is that they won't make it unbeatably  overpowered for 400 point play (they almost couldn't, even if they wanted to). Not saying I want it to be a bad ship, I'm just saying we can expand our imagination beyond the assumption that FFG is designing this exclusively with tournament play in mind.
  • Reason 5: Every single argument against it comes down to "I don't think FFG is creative and there's no way they could reconcile a gigantic ship with the rules system that they have, no matter how they choose to do it." Too strong, too big, too slow, too shooty. The people who invented this game can figure it out. Either it will dwarf other ships and be a fleet-killing terror in a new Epic format, or else it will be a semi-abstraction that packs as much SSD power into a digestable platform that the game can accommodate. But they've spent a lot of time tweaking it, so I wholly dismiss any argument that it's just impossible.

When Executor happens, I'd like to wish for an end to Arvel Crynyd memes and suggestions that those ten seconds of RotJ become somehow enshrined in the game, but I know I'm asking for the impossible.

10 points to House Nostromoid! I hope you’re enjoying the well deserved satisfaction of being thoroughly correct.

On 7/22/2018 at 5:52 PM, Darth Lupine said:

I've been playing since original game release, always tourney rules, except occasionally more points. Even at a tourney, my games usually go the full six rounds and end before anyone else's. But I'm personally a lightning fast player; I always know exactly what I'm going to do next, and I execute at lightning speed...lol. But that's just me. I'm ok with the current tourney time frame. 

Full 6 rounds were my experience too but I am old and rusty. Dodonna is going to take some time to get used too... 

In all seriousness. Just check distances and arcs when you. Can learn measuring tricks for movement (sounds like cheating but it's not, you use the range finders to gauge the movement and turn ranges. It's pretty easy but not 100% accurate.) 

Once you. Get used to the format the game speeds up