Hrathen

Forums are for speculations, so let’s speculate, what is “Something Big”

7 hours ago, Nostromoid said:

A second edition? Absolutely not. 

Prequel factions? Not happening. 

"Something big" is the Executor.  

Agreed on predictions 1 and 3, but I believe the prequel factions are inevitable for Armada, for almost all the same reasons that you called out for the Executor. 

I say we get Clone Wars factions before X Wing.

-It will sell. The ships are beautiful, iconic, with lots of screentime, and a lot of people want them. Not as iconic or desired as the Executor, perhaps, but the demand will be there nonetheless.

-Someone pointed it out earlier; rebooting of the Clone Wars. You want fuel for campaigns, unique squadrons, future life for the game? Plenty of cannon material within that series which will appeal to Millenials who grew up with the prequels. We don’t necessarily dominate the miniatures scene at this point in time (because some of our pocketbooks aren’t exactly that big), but a few years down the road and Millenials/Generation X will be the target audience. 

-Lastly, from a thematic standpoint, the Clone Wars era lends itself more towards the “Armada-style” battles that SWA is supposed to encapsulate. There were far more full fleet conflicts during this era than during the GCW, and there is plenty of material to draw from. This game was designed for the CWE, and FFG would be crazy not to play into that. 

1 hour ago, Parkdaddy said:

...but a few years down the road and Millenials/Generation X will be the target audience.

What... right now you think baby boomers are the target audience? I think you have your generations crossed. Millennials = Generation Y. It looks to me that Millennials are already the target audience, and have been since the game came out. Sure, there are still a few of us GenXers (roughly 1965 to ````1980) around, and we do have more spending power, but we're not the bulk of the player base. Also, the creators of the game are Millennials.

While Millennials did grow up with the prequels, they grew up with the OT as well. While I do see calls for Clone-war era ships on these forums, most older Ys seem to have been taught the disdain for the prequels by the fans of my generation. I think there might be a intra-generation divide between older Ys and younger ones - not those who grew up with the prequels or not, but those who grew up with the Clone Wars cartoon. (By the way, I liked the cartoon, but I'm still not exceptionally enthused for CW-era content, unless its brought in as refurbished military surplus.)

Some of us are Xennials, a microgeneration broadly described as having an analogue childhood and a digital adulthood.

I pretty much feel like this game is for me, personally. Which is why I feel aggrieved that I'm not much better at it. :D

"Anna Garvey describes U.S members of this group as having had an "AOL adolescence" and as being from "the last gasp of a time before sexting, Facebookshaming, and constant communication".[2] Marleen Stollen writing for Business Insider described Xennials as term for people who don't feel like a Gen Xer or a Millennial, using birth dates between 1977 and 1985.[15] The Dickinson Press describes those born in the early 1980s as having early adulthoods which were impacted by the events of the September 11 attacks and the Iraq War.[16]

According to Australian Sociologist, Dan Woodman, "The theory goes that the Xennials dated, and often formed ongoing relationships, pre-social media. They usually weren't on Tinder or Grindr, for their first go at dating at least. They called up their friends and the person they wanted to ask out on a landline phone, hoping that it wasn't their intended date's parent who picked up.." Woodman also says "the 'Xennials' must be taken with several grains of salt. There isn’t yet any strong academic evidence for the grouping, although clearly the idea resonates with a lot of people who felt left out by the usual categorizations."[17]"

Edited by ManInTheBox

2 hours ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

What... right now you think baby boomers are the target audience? I think you have your generations crossed. Millennials = Generation Y. It looks to me that Millennials are already the target audience, and have been since the game came out. Sure, there are still a few of us GenXers (roughly 1965 to ````1980) around, and we do have more spending power, but we're not the bulk of the player base. Also, the creators of the game are Millennials.

While Millennials did grow up with the prequels, they grew up with the OT as well. While I do see calls for Clone-war era ships on these forums, most older Ys seem to have been taught the disdain for the prequels by the fans of my generation. I think there might be a intra-generation divide between older Ys and younger ones - not those who grew up with the prequels or not, but those who grew up with the Clone Wars cartoon. (By the way, I liked the cartoon, but I'm still not exceptionally enthused for CW-era content, unless its brought in as refurbished military surplus.)

I would consider a millennial anyone who wasn’t alive when the OT came out/younger than 30. From reading the forum rants against including prequel stuff over the past 2 years and some, admittedly, ubiquitously derived assumptions, it would appear that most opposition comes from those who grew up with the OT. 

But yes, I do believe you were correct in some of my misconceptions, though I have definitely met multiple baby-boomers who absolutely love the models and only buy the expansions for the hobbyist aspect. The game appeals to a younger crowd, but the nostalgia appeals to the more affluent crowd. 

13 minutes ago, ManInTheBox said:

Don't they already have a prequel ship in X-Wing? That proto X-Wing? (Sorry, nerd club fail: I don't know what it's called as I haven't engaged with the prequels much).

It’s called the ARC-170 (you uncultured swine. ?)  It’s painted as refurbished surplus, but definitely a prequel ship nonetheless.

I don't see the prequels happening.

Making new, separate factions is going to be difficult to impossible.  You'd have to launch a wave of at minimum 1 large, 1 medium, and 2 smalls, a flotilla along with a squadron pack all for that 1 faction.  Even with that, you'd have a very small set of things to work with compared to the Imps and Rebels giving you big disadvantages.  And that's just for 1 faction.  If you do 2 new factions, you're talking 2 large, 2 medium, 4 smalls, 2 flotillas and 2 squadron packs.  That is literally years worth of expansions for armada, and all rolled out at once?  That seems unlikely.

Beyond that, all that new content is likely to contain new things that Rebel and Imp players would want, and they'd be upset at having to buy new stuff they don't plan to use, along with being pissed off that they are being ignored for new releases.

On top of that, the new factions would need dedicated waves of releases while continuing to ignore the old factions to get them caught up in numbers and options of ships further continuing the problem.

With the extremely slow release schedule of Armada, this would mean 2 or 3 years before the Imps and Rebels get new stuff.

Would people want to stop supporting factions they put hundreds if not possibly thousands into?  Would people want to support a new, under supported faction with limited options against larger more fleshed out factions?  Would people be turned off by having to buy a 3rd or 4th faction to get new rare cards?

This problem not only applies to the prequels but to any new faction for armada, it just doesn't seem feasible unless they completely change how they are going to do releases.

Don't release them as separate factions then!!!  That has issues also.  How do you blend the prequel factions to the OT factions?  It doesn't go smoothly.  The republic forces are the good guys for Ep 1, 2, and part of 3, yet they are the base designs for the OT empire.  They did a very good job of creating a believable evolution of design philosophy in that way.  So do you make the Republic forces (the good guys for most of the prequel) part of the Empire as the ship designs match, and that's who they eventually became.  Or do you make the Republic factors part of the Rebels?  The seperatists design elements don't match either OT faction, and their personnel match better to the OT Empire than the Rebels.  It would be odd seeing Grevious and Dokuu as part of the Rebels wouldn't it?  The Republic personnel on the other hand split factions as some stuck with the Empire, and others went to the Rebels.  If the Republic was tied to the Rebels, you could conceivably have Tarkin for the Rebels vs Tarkin for the Empire.  Beyond that, what do you do with a character like Anakin?  Is he a good guy or a bad guy?  Does he show up in both factions?

The prequels open up a HUGE can of worms for FFG when it comes to armada.  I could see a small smattering of ships being brought in.  Acclamator for the empire, naboo fighter for the rebles, or something like that, but I don't see them doing a deep dive into that realm.

The new trilogy however opens up a lot of opportunities.  New ships, new fighters, and an obvious continuation of the current factions.

5 hours ago, LostFleet said:

I think the only thing Armada needs at the moment,

maxresdefault.jpg

Everyone always says they want a chess clock, but the nature of the game makes this very hard and annoying to implement (and ends up favoring certain archetypes almost exclusively).  Personally, I don't think slow play is enough of a problem that we need one, and if you have a certain person locally that slow plays, handle it on a case by case basis.

I did hear along the grape vine that play testing on new waves had started again.

No idea what an never asked but it tells me the game continues. FFG PR is terrible but our game continues 

8 minutes ago, Radaeon said:

I did hear along the grape vine that play testing on new waves had started again.

No idea what an never asked but it tells me the game continues. FFG PR is terrible but our game continues 

Can you be any more specific on "grape vine?"

1 minute ago, Crabbok said:

I would easily buy a space station expansion.  

Though to be perfectly fair, what I REALLY want is Deep Space 9.   Trying to find that old Wiz Kids version isn't easy though. 

The last DS9 I bought was about 18” in diameter and I ran some 5500 fibre optic strands through it...