Sign in to follow this  
That Blasted Samophlange

Millenium Falcon for 2.0 (Rebel and Resistance version)

Posted (edited)

So, there are several threads about ships for second edition now pondering how they will turn out for the game.   You're probably wondering why I'm doing it for the Millenium Falcon..  well, since we know the stats we don't have to worry about it at all.   

What we can wonder about, and this is thanks to Lando’s Millenium Falcon, is the actual model.   We know the Falcon in the sequels looks pretty much the same as before to a cursary glance, save for the rectangular sensor dish.   Now this feature is the most important here.

What if the Millenium Falcon was the first multi-faction release?   Why release two expansions of the near identical model?   Previously it was to update and release cards for the movie.  But with Lando’s version coming and the physical docking, why not a replacable sensor dish?   You can charge more for the pack, and include Rebel and Resistance material.

For a new player it makes sense, less confusion for purchasing and may be a gateway to a new faction.   

For a retailer it makes sense; having more skus takes up more space.   Most shops are tight on space as it is, so helps them.   It is less for them to keep in stock

For FFG it makes sense; the pack will cost more in retail, but size wise the packaging will stay the same, and production costs will be minimal.   Reprinting the expansion will be easier to schedule as you will not have to decide which Falcon needs reprinting (except for Lando’s). Replacement parts become cheaper?  FFG’s stellar service wouldn't have to replace an entire model for a broken dish, only replace the dish.  The aforementioned gateway content  could pottntially help FFG.

1 sku equals better logistics for store and distributor, as well as manufacturer.   Seems like win for everyone to me.

BONUS reason!   Remove the dish component when you are flying Rebel Lando!

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange
Edited title for clarity

I like this idea a lot! Considering all of the current, classic Falcon pilots are in the conversion kit (as well as the Millennium Falcon title), I've wondered what they possibly could do with the rerelease - this makes sense! Swappable dishes, etc. seems like a cool idea, too.

Also, wonder if we will get more crew (Obi Wan crew?) in the rerelease. 

Posted (edited)

I don’t know if i’d assume the stats are the same. We know the cannons are different, and who knows what other “special modifications” Han made to her after it came to be in his possession. 

****, in its original release we had a wholly different pilot card and stats of the 1300 in the same pack. 

Edited by nikk whyte

22 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

I don’t know if i’d assume the stats are the same. We know the cannons are different, and who knows what other “special modifications” Han made to her after it came to be in his possession. 

****, in its original release we had a wholly different pilot card and stats of the 1300 in the same pack. 

I'm not comparing Lando’s Falcon to Han’s.   What I am doing is saying we know the stats as the cards are in the concersion kit.   Apart from a different title and pilot cards, there is very little different between the Original x-wing Falcon release and the Heroes of the Resistance release.

Releasing the two falcons at part of wave 2 will confuse people, and makes very little sense to me.

As to the different stats, there was one of the early teaser videos or interviews where the developers mentioned that and they aren't going that route again (paraphrasing).

Even if the stats between original trilogy source and sequel trilogy source changed the stats, the cards and dial can do that, but apart from minute changes, the ship looks the same - it is instantly recognizable as the Falcon, and any greebling depicted inaccurately (which is silly since it was constantly being rebuilt as a set piece for filming) will only be noticed by the most hardcore of enthusiasts.  

Selling two nearly identical models makes little sense for the iconic ship that is integral for both Rebels and Resistance.   The resistance NEED the ship (it is their only one right now 😜) and it is too iconic to not release at wave two.

so are you saying there should be Lando's Falcon. then a dual rebel/resistance falcon with swappable parts? Interesting. there is actually more different between the rebel falcon and the resistance falcon other than the dish but I like the train of thought. They should totally do that.

4 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

They're different minis, with different stats, different ship names, and different factions (and one has an escape craft).

They're going to be different SKUs.

I see that my thread title is confusing and will change it; I'm not talking about, though i did reference the scum Falcon release, but am instead referencing the original and sequel trilogy appearance of the Falcon which is nearly identical.   So much so that I don't think releasing seperare skus is necessary.

2 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I see that my thread title is confusing and will change it; I'm not talking about, though i did reference the scum Falcon release, but am instead referencing the original and sequel trilogy appearance of the Falcon which is nearly identical.   So much so that I don't think releasing seperare skus is necessary.

See previous post, minus the bit about the escape craft.

I could see them releasing together, but I doubt it.

It would be nice, but again that depends on what FFG has planed for Wave 2. We might just have the Falcon be a Resistance only ship for some time with Wave 1-2 format only where Rebel Falcon is allowed only in Legacy (Conversion kit) format. One thing for sure the YT-1300 will be coming out for Resistance since they need the ship the most. However rebel faction without the Falcon just seems wrong .

On 7/20/2018 at 10:35 AM, PanchoX1 said:

so are you saying there should be Lando's Falcon. then a dual rebel/resistance falcon with swappable parts? Interesting. there is actually more different between the rebel falcon and the resistance falcon other than the dish but I like the train of thought. They should totally do that.

Oh yes, the mini's themselves are very different especially the bottom, not to mention the colors of the OT one being a more grey color while the ST one being more sandy grey in color. Ad while some panels have been changed I do think that this would be a great idea as it would help kick start the Resistance and help eat up a slot that the Rebellion will need to add more ships to their own roster. Well at least for those starting out. 

On 7/20/2018 at 10:35 AM, PanchoX1 said:

That is exactly what I'm saying.   The differences are minimal - some slight paint variations; which is bound to happen anyways due to humans doing it,   Greebling in some of the panels, and the grated and painted engine block.   The heroes of the resistance Falcon is a newer and superior sculpt.   Most people will really only see the dish though to differentiate the two.  

54 minutes ago, Aircraft Terrier said:

I feel like they'll do what they planned for the Y-Wing and Z-95, and have separate boxes for the Falcons, one for each faction.

While that is likely, Releasing both at the same time seems confusing, unless the resistance get a new fleet starter pack akin to the old heroes of the resistance.   

The resistance need the ship, both in the game and because except for black squadron in the comics, the entire resistance is on the Falcon now.   Without the Falcon, the faction will only have two ships - unless new ones are added.

The rebels need it because it is such an iconic original trilogy ship that not having it released soon will cause uproar amongst new players.

The heroes of the resistance sculpt is like the 2.0 y-wing sculpt, benefitting from experience and technology to produce it.   Why go back to the inferior sculpt, if you have the option of the newer one?

44 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

The rebels need it because it is such an iconic original trilogy ship that not having it released soon will cause uproar amongst new players.

I doubt the uproar would be that big to have it delayed a little.  I don't think new players are likely to get upset while still learning a new game.  I also don't think it would be much of a problem to release them both at the same time.  No more confusing than any of the other ships with the same name having 2 boxes with different faction logos on them.