Sign in to follow this  
Avi_dreader

Potential background music for the game.

I like to fire up Flint Glass' "Nyarlathotep" CD with its associated EP "From Beyond".

Of course, there's always Richard Band's scores for "Re-Animator" and "From Beyond". Divorced from the films they were written for, they're not half-bad as mood music...well, some of the tracks anyway. 

A friend of mine also threw together a mix he titled "Infernal Gibberings" with cuts by Forma Tadre (such as Dagon, Celebrate the Cult, The Music of Erich Zann), Evil's Toy (Colours Out of Space, The Old Race) and a handful of others. **** good stuff.

Been gone a couple of weeks from here with a death in the family, and I seem to remember mentioning the Aklo CDs in here before, but in case that memory's false, that stuff is fantastic. 

www.aklo.net

I also quite enjoy his sister project Tillinghast Laboratories Incorporated, which I believe is available on the same site.

The Unquiet Void has two albums worth of ambient sound effects heavy Lovecraft inspired material, Poisoned Dreams and The Shadow-Haunted Outside.

Those more into straightforward metal - death metal in particular - would likely enjoy the Yyrkoon album Unhealthy Opera. I can't imagine playing to it, but I like the album, and it's all pretty much Lovecraft-based. 

Bjerlk said:

I usually use the soundtrack to Bram Stokers Dracula.. Fitts the mood perfectly...

Bjerlk

Heh...  I have that too...  And I keep thinking about using it, but I'm not crazy about the use of movie soundtracks or any soundtrack that can be recognized, since the associations distract from the game.

So, I'm setting the table for dinner, and wanting to have some background music, I flipped through the cable channels dedicated to various genres of music.  On my way past country, classical, and jazz/blues, I stop for a moment on one channel, entitled Soundscapes.  I haven't had a chance to do any research on this team, but here's the info:

Team: Steve Roach/Jorge Reyes; Title: "Places Inbetween"; and Album Title: Supended Memories

I thought the overall mood proved outstanding as background AH music.  I would be curious to hear otehrs' input.

The Professor

The Professor said:

So, I'm setting the table for dinner, and wanting to have some background music, I flipped through the cable channels dedicated to various genres of music.  On my way past country, classical, and jazz/blues, I stop for a moment on one channel, entitled Soundscapes.  I haven't had a chance to do any research on this team, but here's the info:

Team: Steve Roach/Jorge Reyes; Title: "Places Inbetween"; and Album Title: Supended Memories

I thought the overall mood proved outstanding as background AH music.  I would be curious to hear otehrs' input.

The Professor

Oh, I'd *definitely* use that :')  Listen to that mad piping!

Well, Steve Roach is quite a famous name in the electronic / alternative scene, being one of the most active researcher / innovator of the gendre since 30 years, more or less. I firstly met his work on a compilation tribute to Salvador Dali (which was called Dali: the endless enigma), which interested me basically for the presence of a song written by Klaus Schulze, and after then... many and many years of continuous listening.

If you liked Steve Roach's work, you could also enjoy some songs by Robert Rich (who often writes songs together with Steve) or Vidna Obmana (minimal ambient of very high level / quality; another musician who worked together with Steve; I think they collaborated on 7 or 8 albums). If you have some spare time, try to listen to something on youtube or via webradio. You'll probably enjoy them as well!

Our games always went well with the likes of Pulsefear, The Axis of Perdition and Bohren & der Club of Gore. While The Axis Of Perdition's "Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital" is just **** evil and brutal (and also very haunting at times) and Pulsefear's "Perichoresis" kind of the same (but without the "music", hehe), Bohren & der Club of Gore is more melancholic and calm... Check out their "Black Earth"-album.

The Axis Of Perdition:

Pulsefear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk72ZFPTePQ

Bohren & der Club of Gore: