Vector

If the Galactic Republic were to be a faction, should we have both pre and post-Ruusan Reformation ships under one?

Posted (edited)

Really not a fan of adding more factions to the game purely for gameplay reasons (i.e, we've got the sequel trilogy factions in dire need of fleshing out so let's let them catch up first, yeah?)

Now while the prequel movies were junk but for the god-choir-worthy glory of memes they have doth blessed us with, the prequel-era itself isn't necessarily beholden to those movies. All the ancillary material, such as books/comics/games/cartoons etc., aren't bound to the same quality of writing as the movies that spawned them. The Clone Wars cartoon (though stumbling hard in the beginning) is good proof of that, as is the popularity of Battlefront 2 which is still cited in contrast to EA.

So, in terms of what the content itself, who cares what era it's from? Long as it looks cool and, more importantly, plays well the game will grow as a result.

Also, any chance to quote the prequel movies is a welcome one

Edited by ficklegreendice

22 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Really not a fan of adding more factions to the game purely for gameplay reasons (i.e, we've got the sequel trilogy factions in dire need of fleshing out so let's let them catch up first, yeah?)

- - -

So, in terms of what the content itself, who cares what era it's from? Long as it looks cool and, more importantly, plays well the game will grow as a result.

What's actually out there to add for the First Order and the Resistance? The only ship worth mentioning is the Res. A-Wing, which should be easy. They might have the Falcon (which I would find mostly irritating since it would then be in 3 different factions). Otherwise there are no combat ships of note left in the sequels to add until the Resistance TV show comes out, which I'm sure will net both factions at least a couple waves worth of new ships. Likely, we won't see anything from the show until December-ish, maybe even until next year.

- - -

This. I think the variety of ships we have from the Clone Wars era create tons of design space to use and many of those ships look really cool.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

There's not really much from Rebels anyhow. Rebels is responsible for bringing in the Fangs, Ghost, both Phantom I & II, TIE Adv. Proto, Defender (into the Canon), Shadowcaster, Auzituck, and the C-ROC. Could bring in the other not-Lambda, Mining Guild TIEs, and a smattering of others, but most of the important (and unimportant) ships from the series have already been inducted into X-Wing.

And out of that list how much of that was broken in 1.0? 😜 I throw up a little everytime I see Rebels garbage on the table (minus the defender though as it wasn’t brought in because of rebels, only justifying it)

Edited by LordFajubi

8 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

And out of that list how much of that was broken in 1.0? 😜 I throw up a little everytime I see Rebels garbage on the table (minus the defender though as it wasn’t brought in because of rebels, only justifying it)

The TIE Adv. Proto was broken the same way the E-Wing was: only 1 pilot mattered and the Inquisitor only mattered because Autothrusters existed alongside his excellent ability. The Ghost melts like crazy under concentrated fire, dual-action TLT is probably what "broke" the Ghost. The Phantom I was fine, the Phantom II is broken because Fenn Rau is at PS 9 with the option for VI to PS 11, otherwise the Coordinate on a small base seems fine to me. Fenn Rau in the Fang is pretty much the same in 2.0, so I guess he was balanced? Everyone will also know how to fly against him and he shouldn't be quite as durable anymore. Auzitucks you can have, I hate them. Shadowcaster probably just needs to be re-slotted to be a fair ship or Glitterstim just needs to be Limited.

From my experience, most of the ships were broken because of other Upgrades that were breaking the game in other places, not these Expansions. Of course, I only played against a couple of Ghosts in my time, but most of these are okay and have interesting abilities. Obviously Sabine is an exception, she MADE the Combombo-wing meta possible.

1 hour ago, WAC47 said:

This statement is a little ironic given today’s announcement and the excitement it’s generated :P 

Color me stupid. . .what announcement?

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Which is exactly why the Prequels need to start being a thing.  The OT pond has been fished dry, save for any new movies that come along.  But Solo only gave the game 2 new options: the Heavy TIE and another Falcon revisit.  That isn't enough material to keep the OT factions (and thus the game) moving forward.

41 minutes ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

Otherwise there are no combat ships of note left in the sequels to add until the Resistance TV show comes out, which I'm sure will net both factions at least a couple waves worth of new ships. Likely, we won't see anything from the show until December-ish, maybe even until next year.

This. I think the variety of ships we have from the Clone Wars era create tons of design space to use and many of those ships look really cool.

I think the Resistance TV show is exactly why they decided to break those factions out.  There will be plenty of material coming up.

18 minutes ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

The TIE Adv. Proto was broken the same way the E-Wing was: only 1 pilot mattered

Baron of the Empire is awesome in Epic.

9 hours ago, SabineKey said:

I think it’s probably the better part of valor to not go much further back then Episode 1, with some allowance for events like the Great Clan Wars within say 50 years of Ep 1.

That said, I whole heartedly agree with @The Penguin UK‘s sentiment concerning the Ebon Hawk. If that ever made it, it would become the central piece that my lists would be built around for a long time. Hmm, maybe some sort of “greatest hits” kind of packs from that kind of era?

Well, the XS-Freighter from SWTOR ended up in one of the mobile games so the class of ship the Ebon Hawk was apart of could end up being used at some point due to popularity that could allow for it being added to the game.

Image result for XS freighter

4 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Now while the prequel movies were junk but for the god-choir-worthy glory of memes they have doth blessed us with, the prequel-era itself isn't necessarily beholden to those movies. All the ancillary material, such as books/comics/games/cartoons etc., aren't bound to the same quality of writing as the movies that spawned them. The Clone Wars cartoon (though stumbling hard in the beginning) is good proof of that, as is the popularity of Battlefront 2 which is still cited in contrast to EA.

The Resistance has: Salvaged Falcon, T-70 X-Wing, Resistance Transport/Transport Pod, A-Wing Mk2, Resistance Bomber, and the Resistance transport from Disney's Star Wars land. Of which the only ones needing adding to the game currently are the Resistance Transport that people are meh over, the A-Wing Mk2, and the transport from WDW and DL that has yet to be featured anywhere else.

The FO has the TIE/FO, TIE/SF, FO Troop Transport, Upsilon Shuttle, and Tie Silencer. Of which the only one not in the game currently is the Troop transport that I think only has a small blaster on it to help clear a landing zone unlike the U-Wing's or the LAAT/i's armaments. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I suspect that the Resistance show will add more to the factions as will Episode 9, but unless concept art was given to FFG then aside from releasing the two Resistance ships shown on screen and the FO transport there isn't anything new they can add until sometime next year after they have seen Resistance or are given concept work for episode 9. On the other hand the PT era ships are more or less fixed in stone at this point and would have plenty of releases for waves to come. That said, with the timing of things unless we get one heck of a surprise come Gencon for the new factions or as some Christmas gift I think we won't see them added until 2020 or so once the new trilogy is done so as to not take away from that.  

20 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

They have dropped major SW surprises at GenCon the past several years. 

Yes, but I fully expect them to show off Wave 2 and the ST coming to the game hence why I wouldn't expect it at this Gencon, or the next when they will likely want to tease 'something' coming for Episode 9. Of course, I'm more than willing to be proved wrong, I know I'd buy a fair bit of PT era stuff. Heck, I'd just love to get the N1 Starfighter added so we could get an actual Leia pilot card. 

Posted (edited)

So if there is a Republic faction I am willing to bet it will be Clone Wars Era ships. Now would that include any KOTOR stuff well that depends. I am sure they might have some starforge antique that might do better than everything else. Just because some of the stuff came out later doesn't mean it is any better. Heck we don't have a plane that can out fly the SR-71.

Edited by Marinealver

5 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

but unless concept art was given to FFG then aside from releasing the two Resistance ships shown on screen and the FO transport there isn't anything new they can add until sometime next year after they have seen Resistance or are given concept work for episode 9.

I doubt it would get past the licensing board, but the Art Of The Force Awakens book is laden with concept drawings for First Order TIE fighters. I'd love to see some of them.

7 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

They have dropped major SW surprises at GenCon the past several years. 

Even if a “surprise” comes, I really doubt it would be clone wars stuff.   There is too much for 2.0 to reveal, wave 2 is the most likely, though more Solo content would be nice - TIE Brute.   

Also, I highly doubt that FFG was privvy to the recent clone wars announcement news, so they will not be tying any thing into that.   Down the road, very likely.

21 hours ago, Astech said:

Every new trilogy FFG takes on will take away from the sales of the others

Where's your evidence for that?  I for one buy everything.

19 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Probably no more obscure than a Jumpmaster, in fairness.

I don't disagree there. If anything, the jumpmaster is probably more obscure - at least the old republic ships come from some well known video games!

14 hours ago, WAC47 said:

Oh trust me Im planning this massive Clone Wars-era FFG rollout for all of their games in my head now. 

As with all things in the future I try to cultivate Jedi-like detachment. But this news has my imagination fired up and excited for what could be in store :) 

Republic Star Destroyers for Armada? Yes please! :)

18 hours ago, mazz0 said:

Republic Star Destroyers for Armada? Yes please! :)

Without needing to add Clone Wars to Armada, both the Acclamator and Venator-class were still used by the Empire during its early stages and both the Providence and the Recusant-class were used by the Rebels so I can't see why they can't be included already.