Jump to content
Rodzaju

An Opportunity for the Opinionated...

Recommended Posts

That's very cool that FFG would look for client input, creating an interactive creation experience for us players.  I'm curious about it, but of course, the Twitter thing makes it a bit meh.  I know not everyone is on the boards, but they could just as easily have a poll here and post links on the News posting associated with the poll.  Of course, Twitter is a larger platform, with a possibly more diverse crowd as opposed to the rowdy bunch we represent.  Either way, it's still really cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to read this article twice.  I don't even understand what they are asking players to vote on... like they want to define each of the faction's essence by seeing what (presumably general) upgrades players think best capture the spirit of that faction? 

What's the point?  If the faction's have an essence and a strong faction identity, isn't that something the Devs should have figured out before designing the 2.0 contents? 

Have I entirely missed the point or application of this 'voting?'  Is this just some pointless fluffery to try and get the digital footprint and visibility of 2.0 a bit higher, facilitated by the Tweeting route?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lame, they’re handicapping the first new 2.0 meta defining competition by handicapping listbuilding with obligatory upgrades. I like that the public gets a vote, but this is not the right way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sarcon said:

Lame, they’re handicapping the first new 2.0 meta defining competition by handicapping listbuilding with obligatory upgrades. I like that the public gets a vote, but this is not the right way.

Agreed. As someone who's going to Coruscant, I am very annoyed that the list building is going to be so constrained. This should be a wide open event to see what people actually want to fly in 2.0 and see what works with the new systems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twitter is brief fluff and nonsense. So they can pose a 'thing', get some 'buzz' and walk away with some advertising and possibly, maybe, not fussed either way, food for thought as a free potential bonus.

If they interacted here, it would play out a little 'differently'.

So I can see why Twitter.

Pointless charade of endless ballooning guffery that it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DarkArk said:

Agreed. As someone who's going to Coruscant, I am very annoyed that the list building is going to be so constrained. This should be a wide open event to see what people actually want to fly in 2.0 and see what works with the new systems. 

It's only an upgrade this time. The last time they did this voting it was for a ship to include. That time we collectively voted for the least meta ships possible.

It may be that our effort in the past to expose the 1.0 imbalance has caused this current inability to directly influence the 2.0 vote.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My takeaway from this article is that we’ll soon be getting a Rebel Conversion Kit article.  While I don’t expect much to come of that, it sure would be nice if they dove a little further into how wave conversion kits are going to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I tried to read this article twice.  I don't even understand what they are asking players to vote on... like they want to define each of the faction's essence by seeing what (presumably general) upgrades players think best capture the spirit of that faction? 

What's the point?  If the faction's have an essence and a strong faction identity, isn't that something the Devs should have figured out before designing the 2.0 contents? 

Have I entirely missed the point or application of this 'voting?'  Is this just some pointless fluffery to try and get the digital footprint and visibility of 2.0 a bit higher, facilitated by the Tweeting route?

It says the winning upgrades will be featured in the squads for the tournament. I assume whatever gets voted in will be required in your faction of choice...kinda like I have been saying for months. Tournaments are not, in the beginning at least, going to be no cards barred matches, but structured formats that level the field for newbies. Kinda how it sounds to me it’s gonna work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LordFajubi said:

Tournaments are not, in the beginning at least, going to be no cards barred matches, but structured formats that level the field for newbies. Kinda how it sounds to me it’s gonna work. 

As an excited newbie to X-wing with no aspirations of world champion level play, this sounds like a great idea to get new players into the game more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

...kinda like I have been saying for months. Tournaments are not, in the beginning at least, going to be no cards barred matches, but structured formats that level the field for newbies. 

I don't think we can really judge that based on Coruscant 2018. They did this last time for Coruscant too (only that time it was a whole ship with upgrades that was mandated), so this isn't a new thing for 2.0.

(that said, I do think it's likely that major tournaments will be wave restricted to ships that have been 2.0 released, I just don't think this is evidence either way).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

Our time has come...

Image result for malgus smile

...Finds himself required to field the worst available upgrade. At least Fel's Wrath isn't around anymore.

It'll depend, to be fair, what the options actually are. The question:

Quote

What defines the essence of a faction in X-Wing Second Edition? That's up for you to decide. Do you gravitate toward the most recognizable characters? Do you aim for the upgrades that best reflect a faction's playstyle? Do look for game effects that no other faction can claim? Will you simply vote for the game effect you'd most like to see incorporated into the squads for your favorite faction?

Is a perfectly sensible one to be asking. Because (we are told) the way upgrade cards and pilot cards are being delivered means you only need to buy one faction, plus stuff is likely to be more expensive (on simple grounds of annual inflation), the game, much like Legion, appears to be encouraging 'faction loyalist' players to nail their colours to their mast. Which, in turn, means that FFG will be well served by trying to match their new releases of upgrades, pilots, etc, to the majority's perception of what the point of playing imperial/rebel/scum actually is.

Whether the coruscant invitational is the right place, and a mandated upgrade is the right way to do this, is more open to question.

On the other hand, "Imperials are all high-speed and have to take afterburners on something" (for the sake of argument) is hardly going to wreck many squad ideas, and it's not like the players shouldn't be good enough to cope.

Not, of course, that it's likely to be too much of an issue for most of the people who'll read this post. Given that it's an invitational, only so many people will actually be involved.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...