Icosiel

Star Wars Adjacent Music

Hey everyone! Been a minute, but I'm jumping back into my EotE campaign soon and I'm looking to revamp my battle music playlist. I'm not usually the biggest fan of music from other movies in my Star Wars games, so I mostly stick to the songs from the films and the cartoons. One thing I really like, however, is finding classical music that really fits with the Star Wars feel. Obviously Mars by Holst is the big one here, but I was wondering if anyone else has any recommendations for classical music (contemporary is good!) that has that "Star Wars" vibe to it?

Well Holst has an entire "The Planets" arraignment which served as a core inspiration for Star Wars.

Two Steps from [edited by the swear filter, H-E-Double hockey sticks] has a massive collection of music that's over the top dramatic, so that's a good source.

Star Wars games provide a good block of music options, from the fully orchestrated stuff like the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack to more... eclectic options like Force Commander's beautiful and terrible techno remixes.

Using stuff from other films/games CAN work, but it requires you look a little deeper. A good source is to look at relative "Bombs" as they are less likely to be recognized.

So like the video game "Timeline" based on the Crichton novel had a pretty solid soundtrack composed by Bill Brown with music that would port over well. But Timeline was a bomb, so the odds of your players recognizing the tunes are pretty much nil, and if you haven't played Timeline either then the music is just music to you and my actually be inspiring. I once took a song Brown composed for an Incredible Hulk game (which neither me, nor my players had ever played) and added some sound effects of a helicopter doing fly-bys. When I dropped it into a Resident Evil inspired RPG campaign I was running it sounded awesome and really backed up the scene of the players on a rooftop while a light helicopter gunship tried to gun them down. Check out your favorite, and older games, and look up who did the music. In a lot of cases the composers have a website with music, that can help lead you to other works of the same style.

Edited by Ghostofman

On 7/18/2018 at 10:03 AM, Concise Locket said:

The Mass Effect soundtracks might work for you.

This x100. I use them, and it seems to work even better than actual Star Wars music, especially when you're using the Edge setting over the other two.

I've been having fun working out non-conventional soundtracks for Star Wars games I'm running. They've mostly fallen into two categories.

The first is a lot of synthwave and retrieve tracks. This can range from contemporary remixes of 80s pop with driving beats or classic John Carpenter tones.

The other more experimental has been for my EotE game. It involves looking at what music was popular in 1977 which creates a down to earth grimy feeling. A lot of funk and soul with a bit of disco and country to back it up. 

Good suggestions already.

Thanks to Cowboy Bebop, Firefly, Samurai Champloo, Borderlands and other examples fusion, I find a wonderful musical archipelago from delta blues to ambient to downtempo to clean-cut chillhop capturing Edge of the Empire.

I also think "Lucasfilm" as a broad concept can be more appropriate, in which John Williams' work for Indiana Jones is another big source for material.

If your players aren't intimately familiar with the Elder Scrolls series, a lot of Jeremy Soule's work fits — I think it's ironically far more mature than his compositions for KOTOR — and is extremely modular owing to its situational intent.

You'll find some very appropriate passages across Ralph Vaughan Williams' and Maurice Ravel's bodies of work, though you'll have to pick and choose to keep from getting too deep into pastoral/impressionism.