Cloaker

Where are all the good X-Wing blogs?

I like reading about X-Wing. Podcasts are okay, but I like to read. Not so much people's lists, although that can be entertaining, but just the game state and tactics, strategies. etc. 

The Good; Already reading Team Covenant,  SOTL (although he really hasn't updated much lately), Hipster, Rogue Squadron, the Reddit, Fishy's, 186th squadron, and Back to Dials is doing some great stuff right now (their article on medium bases was outstanding!)

The Gone; Poor Grey Pilot went broke, That's No Moon has seen it set, Docking Bay is closed, Blair is too busy DeBunkeing the death of the Z95, Metal Bikini is all covered up, Treatise SF Tactics has been annulled,The Space Owls are not what they seem anymore, Spikey Bit has dulled and Taking the Sith is more of just a memory book of his travels. 

Anything else good out there?

4 hours ago, Cloaker said:

Treatise SF Tactics

Who was that by the way? It was my absolute favorite! Very sad to see it gone

Also echoing the reading>listening, but primarily because reading can be referenced while podcasts are hours and hours and impossible to find something again.

Well keep in mind many blogs reflect personal interests which can stray from X-wing gasp* yes I know it is true.

Joe Boss Red Seven has a blog

http://blacksixredseven.blogspot.com/

There is also the reading section for Team Covenant that some podcasters such as Theorist posts to.

https://teamcovenant.com/blog

Those are a couple but then again there is always your two best guides on the internet for you to use at your disposal, Google and Bing.

I'm in the same boat... don't like podcasts (even more because English isn't my main language) that much. But I do love reading people's thoughts on stuff (it's also easier to find it again later).

I have these 3 saved in my favorites:

https://stayontheleader.blogspot.com/

https://dialedin.blog/

https://suchanxwinghipster.wordpress.com/

But sadly, all of them take at least 1-2 weeks to post something...

2 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

Third for preferring reading to podcasts, never liked them it’s like cable access back in the day. No offense to podcasters but if I wanted to listen to nerds debate something I’d sit down with my friends.

I agree. I enjoy listening to podcasts while I am exercising or commuting. But I think they could help with some drastic editing to cut out most of the chaff.
Leave in the truly funny jokes and the main ideas, but cut out the babbling and the mumbling and, more than anything, the internal jokes.
I have listened to some tedious 2+ hours podcasts that could have been awesome edited down to 30 minutes or less.

11 hours ago, SOTL said:

I'm struggling to to get time/energy for blogging at the moment.  I don't know yet if I'm playing 2nd edition or not so in a bit of limbo.

I hope you stick around!

10 hours ago, Volkomor said:

I'm in the same boat... don't like podcasts (even more because English isn't my main language) that much. But I do love reading people's thoughts on stuff (it's also easier to find it again later).

I have these 3 saved in my favorites:

https://stayontheleader.blogspot.com/

https://dialedin.blog/

https://suchanxwinghipster.wordpress.com/

But sadly, all of them take at least 1-2 weeks to post something...

I run Dialedin.blog, thanks for reading! My goal is the get 3 pieces out a month, but I'm really waiting for the app to launch to really dig into 2.0. Without point costs, strategy discussion seems kind of pointless.  I pray we get it at gencon. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Treatise SF Tactics

Who was that by the way? It was my absolute favorite! Very sad to see it gone

Also echoing the reading>listening, but primarily because reading can be referenced while podcasts are hours and hours and impossible to find something again.

That was my blog. I stopped writing articles because I started taking breaks from X-Wing to play other games and do other stuff and felt I didn't have the same level of insight to offer since I wasn't keeping up with the game on a regular basis.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it while it was still going. 

Edited by Tvboy

22 hours ago, Azrapse said:

I agree. I enjoy listening to podcasts while I am exercising or commuting. But I think they could help with some drastic editing to cut out most of the chaff.
Leave in the truly funny jokes and the main ideas, but cut out the babbling and the mumbling and, more than anything, the internal jokes.
I have listened to some tedious 2+ hours podcasts that could have been awesome edited down to 30 minutes or less.

There was a time I was really getting upset with the podcasts, whining and complaining on how the meta sucks, talking about how they would rather play other games like L5R. Now that 2.0 has come out some of the absentee casters have returned. For most of them that is a good thing, for others... yeah um... maybe they should have stayed on hiatus. 

I really like Radio TCX as they have shorter podcasts but they keep it to the point and don't go too far off on a tangent to the point where they are talking about other games. But now I am getting off on a tangent as this is supposed to be about blogs and not podcasts.

A question to the group: what type of things would you like to see blogged about anyway?  I've probably meandered all over in my time, from big strategy bits to 'here's a squad' to community issues, to just plain cracking jokes.

What are you looking for?

Posted (edited)

I'd love to see a "beginner's guide" to each of the 2.0 Waves.

Probably easiest broken down by faction.

Which upgrades work best with which ships?

Which ships work well together?

Which are the "traps" that look great on paper but don't actually work?

Something more objective than the FFG Marketing news.

Edited by Rodzaju

56 minutes ago, Rodzaju said:

I'd love to see a "beginner's guide" to each of the 2.0 Waves.

Probably easiest broken down by faction.

Which upgrades work best with which ships?

Which ships work well together?

Which are the "traps" that look great on paper but don't actually work?

Something more objective than the FFG Marketing news.

You and me both, mate!
:-)

15 hours ago, RoockieBoy said:

I know the OP meant English blogs, but I’ll just put a shameless plug of my Spanish blog. I really love doing pic heavy batreps, though I’ve been in some kind of drought lately...

http://septimotercio.blogspot.com/?m=1

Check Rosangela Squadron on Facebook. They're a group of guys who make X-wing content in Peru, all in Spanish of course. 

Just now, GreenLantern1138 said:

Check Rosangela Squadron on Facebook. They're a group of guys who make X-wing content in Peru, all in Spanish of course. 

Cool! Thanx!

3 hours ago, Marinealver said:

There was a time I was really getting upset with the podcasts, whining and complaining on how the meta sucks, talking about how they would rather play other games like L5R. Now that 2.0 has come out some of the absentee casters have returned. For most of them that is a good thing, for others... yeah um... maybe they should have stayed on hiatus. 

I really like Radio TCX as they have shorter podcasts but they keep it to the point and don't go too far off on a tangent to the point where they are talking about other games. But now I am getting off on a tangent as this is supposed to be about blogs and not podcasts.

When I was at peak blogging I was being asked about joining or setting up a podcast, and this is exactly my complaint about the format - a two hour show with twenty minutes worth listening to.

My podcast concept was 'Attack Run' and would have specifically aimed to deliver shorter shows high on actual content.  If you want to shoot the breeze then have a short shooting the breeze podcast, but don't make everyone suffer through 90 minutes of noise every time.  Get in, hit the topic, then get out.

3 hours ago, SOTL said:

A question to the group: what type of things would you like to see blogged about anyway?  I've probably meandered all over in my time, from big strategy bits to 'here's a squad' to community issues, to just plain cracking jokes.

I'd like to see more on Turn zero: where to place obstacles and an explanation of why a particular location works for one matchup and might not for a different match.

Eg pick a squad archetype and show a good and poor obstacle layout for it vs each of several different archetypes. For people like me who don't have time to actually play many games, this sort of thing would really help.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SOTL said:

Dave, when I started playing two years ago, your blog was what helped guide me and my purchases. Loving the Bounty Hunters, and always being intrigued with Bossk since I was a kid, I started with Scum and moved into Rebels due to the Most Wanted overlap. Your analysis of what was the best ship count for the money invested gave me a lot of utility in my list building early on, and helped me set a budget to build my fleet over time. You're objective, you format your articles in interesting ways to maintain attention, and you use data when needed to validate while not losing sight of the thematic fun of the game. 

Writing takes time. I used to do alot of it both as a DM for RPGs, and short stories and such. I only average about a 60% win ratio and never have won any championships so while I would love to write a blog I never have before and wouldn't even know where to start or how to do it. I admire your technique and style of writing, it is engaging and light. One has to condense stream of consciousness ramblings and observations something comprehensible and capable of reaching a diverse audience. It helps to have a theme or rotating topic to give alignment and also to help channel inspiration when viewed through a weekly or twice a month prism. So given what 2.0 is and will bring to the masses, what I would offer as a loose format is the following; 

1) "What's Old is New Again" breakdown, focusing on a single ship and how functions differently in 2.0 vs. 1.0, with maybe ideas or approach on how to best play it as if it were your first ship in the scrum or the last ship on the board. Optimal builds for each pilot in the expac. 

2) Turn Zero, as mentioned, but expanding not only to obstacle and ship placement, but how to use Turn Zero as a counter to top Meta Builds instead of merely complimenting your own. How to play Turn Zero aggressively, or defensively. And overall ship set-up in general with maybe diagrams, using approaches for 2, 3, 4 and more ship count lists. 

3) Pilot and/or Upgrade Spotlight; Deep dive into 2.0 cards and their synergies. Looking at how a certain pilot or upgrade may function well or poorly in different builds, and assessing at what value do they become a point trap. 

4) Common player mistakes as they emerge in 2.0 that are made in the game at all phases, from list building to endgame, and how to recover from them in the midgame. Maybe even entertain a Q&A article of "Staying on The Leader" What Would The Leader Advise. You could take observations from player gripes in the forum and/or recaps sent to you of mistakes people are looking to learn from and offer perspective. 

5) Approach Vector 101;  How to split off and recover formations, set-up bullseye arcs and general Ace play, bait and switch etc. Midgame tactics in general. How to create a Beta strike in case the Alpha engagement doesn't go according to plan. 

6) Third Party Products; Maybe showing off a vendor every now and then and what they make that can add some fun "bling" to the game. 

7) App Assessment; I think widely followed (bloggers and podcasters too) are going to be be helpful in giving FFG a temperature check on 2.0 upgrade costs and ship's ratio to value. So keeping up with the App when it updates and providing some of your views there. 

Finally, variant play. How to enjoy the game beyond 200/6, Objectives, Epic, Missions, Campaigns etc. And all of the above bullet points in relation to that. I have yet to see bloggers really embrace the beyond, and 2.0 is begging for it already with threat builds and escalation etc. 

Yeah, that's all I got. Hope this provides a little something so we can keep following you faithfully!

Edited by Cloaker

Fishy Wargaming has spread its wings a bit away into other games as well as X-wing. But we plan on coming back in hard soon, especially with myself planning to hit 2.0 hard!

Based on the minimal amounts of feedback I always got I didn't think hardly anyone read mine. I never really felt like there was much special there anyway tbh but if someone had something specific they wanted I'd think about doing a write up on it.