acesandeights

What would you want in an X-wing campaign?

Things I need in a campaign? These:

- A solid story.
- Rebellion and Imperial view points of said story. (I'd also like to see a unique Scum campaign at some point)
- Co-op and Verses rules as well as official "A.I." rules for enemy ships.
- Options! Give us a list of ships we can use depending on mission parameters. if it's a bombing run, don't allow an A-Wing to be used in the lead role, but allow a Y-Wing, B-Wings , or a special load out X-Wing.

9 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Things I need in a campaign? These:

- A solid story.
- Rebellion and Imperial view points of said story. (I'd also like to see a unique Scum campaign at some point)
- Co-op and Verses rules as well as official "A.I." rules for enemy ships.
- Options! Give us a list of ships we can use depending on mission parameters. if it's a bombing run, don't allow an A-Wing to be used in the lead role, but allow a Y-Wing, B-Wings , or a special load out X-Wing.

I'm of a mixed mind about your last point.   Personally, I'd like there to be a hangar where the group can put ships that are being repaired, or they aren't using.    This means that the group needs to think about the whole campaign not just their ship.   Only purchase a-wings, and you can't accomplish the mission at hand.  Force people to think about the big picture.  

As much as having the same game mechanics for different viewpoints is laudable, I think having seperate campaigns is a better option, Rebels, Scum, and Imperial are all going to go about things differently.   For the Empire, if your TIE is damaged (and you survive) you will get a fresh TIE for next mission.   The rebels don't have the resources to have perfect ships all the time.

I guess to sum up, I would want the campaigns to be built around the play style of each faction.

I'm not sure a purely X-Wing campaign can give me the immersion I would want for a campaign.  Battle in the Star Wars universe is more than fighter vs fighter.  It is Capital Ship vs Capital Ship vs fighters.  Then it is strike teams infiltrating various ground facilities and either destroying or stealing enemy assets.  It is ground force vs ground force.  An X-Wing campaign cannot simulate all these things.

I would be much more interested in a campaign that weaves all the combat formats into a cohesive campaign that encompasses the battles in space and the battles on the surface of worlds.  Armada --> X-Wing --> Legion --> Imperial Assault

Of course, not everyone is going to want to play with all those components like I do, so you have to have ways to simulate the results from those games without having all of them.

Just my $0.02

On 7/16/2018 at 9:30 AM, LordFajubi said:

Coop play is huge and a major reason HOTAC took off. Even if the AI sucks playing with your mates is preferable to many people instead of trying to kill your buddy. Anything else is debatable but AI and coop play is a must. 

Well the AI algorithm is nothing more that positioning with a randomized dice roll to try and simulate human player's unpredictability although I doubt it would pass the Turing test. The AI could be improved with more variables such as when stressed a higher propensity to do green turns, or using the target lock token as a tether (not teather). I always thought of putting in the Scum and Villainy but give it a different action priority focusing on defensive measures and using the target lock token to determine their maneuver selection. Where the imperials are more discipline focusing on aggression in their assigned sector. It won't exactly match the human AI but keep in mind you don't have to keep the squadron point the same. Putting up 100 points of friends against 200 points of AI should provide for an interesting match regardless how dumb the AI is.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:27 PM, acesandeights said:

Just curious about what people would want in a x-wing campaign if FFG put one out. 

Number of players?

Iconic ships and characters, or generic / name your own ships / characters?

Combat for control of well known systems or again, generic or less know places?

Pilot development, or just generic pilots and list building?

I am honestly interested to see people's overall thoughts, and specific details people want included.

I would like a simplified HotAC (Heroes of the Aturi Cluster) AND/OR a campaign box similar to Imperial Assault.  Any of them could use a mobile app (like Mansions of Madness).

Ships = mostly Original Trilogy + Rogue One

Generic pilots (uniques ruin the immersion), but with several Elite Talent upgrades (like in HotAC).

2 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I'm of a mixed mind about your last point.   Personally, I'd like there to be a hangar where the group can put ships that are being repaired, or they aren't using.    This means that the group needs to think about the whole campaign not just their ship.   Only purchase a-wings, and you can't accomplish the mission at hand.  Force people to think about the big picture.  

As much as having the same game mechanics for different viewpoints is laudable, I think having seperate campaigns is a better option, Rebels, Scum, and Imperial are all going to go about things differently.   For the Empire, if your TIE is damaged (and you survive) you will get a fresh TIE for next mission.   The rebels don't have the resources to have perfect ships all the time.

I guess to sum up, I would want the campaigns to be built around the play style of each faction.

You know, that is something I hadn't considered! Great point.

Maybe start the campaign  as a generic we can "rank up" and grant higher initiative and pick from a pool of pilot skills picked from across all 3 factions and a few specific to the campaign format.

Here's what I'd do (literally):

RULES - Assault on Grayskull Base: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E-liiTzZNg1-cZI7YljxvEMYxBvDNoL8

BACKSTORY: https://www.xwingpodcasts.com/tydirium/shuttle-tydirium-grayskull-the-complete-series/

Narrative-based, PvP, includes squadron rosters, unique pilot drafting, unique pilot mortality, generic pilot progression (veterancy), progression through a series of missions, mission rewards that should not strongly affect mission balance (no snowballing).

Now, that's not the only way I think you can build a campaign or campaign system, but Assault on Grayskull Base is a lot of fun to play through. It breaks you out of the standard gameplay, opens up a little space for you to play strategically, and most importantly is highly thematic and tends to make players *feel* like they are playing out a Star Wars story.

Edited by Babaganoosh

Do it!

Greyskull that is ? .

I partisipated in the Greyskull Vassal Campaign in November and it was loads of fun. It has audio dramas made by the most talented nonprofessionals voice actors and Shuttle crew you can find to spice up the themeatics!

(In the silence of space you can hear only the faint Njub Njubs of the Ewok death squad...)

4 hours ago, Woobyluv said:

I'm not sure a purely X-Wing campaign can give me the immersion I would want for a campaign.  Battle in the Star Wars universe is more than fighter vs fighter.  It is Capital Ship vs Capital Ship vs fighters.  Then it is strike teams infiltrating various ground facilities and either destroying or stealing enemy assets.  It is ground force vs ground force.  An X-Wing campaign cannot simulate all these things.

I would be much more interested in a campaign that weaves all the combat formats into a cohesive campaign that encompasses the battles in space and the battles on the surface of worlds.  Armada --> X-Wing --> Legion --> Imperial Assault

Of course, not everyone is going to want to play with all those components like I do, so you have to have ways to simulate the results from those games without having all of them.

Just my $0.02

Yeah, that's waaaaaayyyyyyy more than $0.02.

I don't have those games, and I don't want those other games.  An X-Wing Campaign needs to stick with XWM or no one will buy it because no one will want to have to pick up 3 other games just to play.

I mean, it's a great DIY project, but a bad idea for an FFG product.