Sign in to follow this  
Bigocto

Medium bases

So I just got my Tie Reaper and Saw Renegades and started looking at the medium bases. Can I just say, the Firespray looks REALLY good on that medium base! I’ve got mine magnetized and although I’m 30yrs old I honestly put it under the Ghost, and made pew pew sounds and imagined Boba hunting the Rebels crew. All in all I’m really excited for 2.0.

ps the Tie Reaper is laughable on a small base...

3 hours ago, Bigocto said:

ps the Tie Reaper is laughable on a small base...

But thank the maker that it is not a large base. Else there would be no counterplay against slicers for many lists with that thing large base boosting....every turn!

1 minute ago, player3010587 said:

But thank the maker that it is not a large base. Else there would be no counterplay against slicers for many lists with that thing large base boosting....every turn!

Oh I TOTALLY agree. I just feel it’s VERY clear it was designed for medium base. I’ve got it sitting next to the U-wing on my coffee table and, I mean, it’s laughable. 

8 hours ago, nikk whyte said:

Medium bases are GOOD.

Here's something no one has really considered or discussed as far as I've seen: Medium Bases are going to be terrible formation fliers.

In 1.0, it was pretty easy to fly a large ship in formation with small ships, because the Large Ship could just dial in a straight maneuver that was 1 Speed slower than the small ships, given that it's base was an extra base-width.

Medium bases, though, won't even be able to hold a straight line formation with small or large ships.

I kinda don't like the look of the Firespray on a Medium base.  I think it crowds it a bit too much.  Add in the fact that it's one of the tallest ships, it just "feels" too big for a medium to me.  That's just, like, my opinion, man.

However, I think for balance reasons it's probably far better off on Medium, with that built-in White boost, and the 1-hard turns.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Here's something no one has really considered or discussed as far as I've seen: Medium Bases are going to be terrible formation fliers.

In 1.0, it was pretty easy to fly a large ship in formation with small ships, because the Large Ship could just dial in a straight maneuver that was 1 Speed slower than the small ships, given that it's base was an extra base-width.

Medium bases, though, won't even be able to hold a straight line formation with small or large ships.

They won't be that difficult. There is actually a pretty good video that shows all of the different ways to move around with the different size bases. 

*Not my video

Edited by AcexShadow

Yeah, medium base formation flying in mixed squads is still relatively easy. 

Large bases get to a point where they HAVE to go a certain place. I never felt restrained by the medium base. It still went where it wanted. 

17 hours ago, Vykk Draygo said:

Unfortunately you left out black.....

just like FFG!!

I see a red base and I want it painted black...  no colours any more I want them painted black..

I see the y-wings fly by dressed in their scummy clothes. I have to turn my head until the dark side goes..

I modified my bases with weights and friction studs before colored bases became available. For coloring I used Tamiya Clear green (X-25) in a 10 ml bottle.

The color is very close to FFG’s green bases. The following two croppings are from same photo: TIE/D has a painted base while TIE/SF and Lambda behind it have FFG bases.

81A1C0AC-9B68-4DDC-AE76-1347C6DC59C0.jpeg

F4B7926F-352E-4F67-A4E9-6F9C723C3E18.jpeg

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:33 PM, Vykk Draygo said:

Unfortunately you left out black.....

Only in the internet grab:

Here's one I did black:

bQ1kNLx.jpg

And here's one I did with a speckle spray.  The can only did about 4 stands, but they are great for photos:

DyvmYCu.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, PanchoX1 said:

do these dry translucent?

No, completely opaque.  I do spray the bottom of the stand just to be sure.  Here's a great shot showing blue (my "team color") and flat black:

HwdZ8Wd.jpg

How are you even supposed to use the Reaper in 2.0?  It is way too fast to fly in formation or to get behind someone to pour in fire.  Sure, it will be a good ride for palp if you just want to run away, but there is no way keep this thing in the fight.  Forget about jam, the range 1 restriction is laughable on this ship.

13 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

How are you even supposed to use the Reaper in 2.0?  It is way too fast to fly in formation or to get behind someone to pour in fire.  Sure, it will be a good ride for palp if you just want to run away, but there is no way keep this thing in the fight.  Forget about jam, the range 1 restriction is laughable on this ship.

A few options here.

1) don't fly it in formation.  fly it with 2 aces and just have the ships all over the board. bring them in and out as people turn towards them and have the reaper fly straight over the enemy or slot in behind as they face the aces.

2) fly a fast formation. You can always fly something in formation you just need to adapt for the ships and their speed.

3) make the reaper bump during its ailerons or use the ailerons to get that extra distance to fly behind someone or uses the ailerons to put the reaper somewhere the opponent didn't expect it to be thus making them bump or use actions to navigate around the reaper thus effectively making them not grab the token they wanted.

I have seen some of my squad mates fly the reaper with absolute precision and yes its on a small base now but I don't believe that putting it on the medium will change it much, if at all for them. And they very expertly kept it at range 1 of a ship for several key turns in multiple matches.

11 minutes ago, AcexShadow said:

A few options here.

1) don't fly it in formation.  fly it with 2 aces and just have the ships all over the board. bring them in and out as people turn towards them and have the reaper fly straight over the enemy or slot in behind as they face the aces.

2) fly a fast formation. You can always fly something in formation you just need to adapt for the ships and their speed.

3) make the reaper bump during its ailerons or use the ailerons to get that extra distance to fly behind someone or uses the ailerons to put the reaper somewhere the opponent didn't expect it to be thus making them bump or use actions to navigate around the reaper thus effectively making them not grab the token they wanted.

I have seen some of my squad mates fly the reaper with absolute precision and yes its on a small base now but I don't believe that putting it on the medium will change it much, if at all for them. And they very expertly kept it at range 1 of a ship for several key turns in multiple matches.

A lot of the support abilities are range restricted. The medium base means it’s minimum speed is one faster than it used to be. Also, it’s dial got a **** of a nerf in 2e. 

Add to that the “misprints” and how bad krennic is and my interest in the Reaper is very low. I’ll stick to the lambda I think. 

16 hours ago, RikuM said:

I modified my bases with weights and friction studs before colored bases became available. For coloring I used Tamiya Clear green (X-25) in a 10 ml bottle.

The color is very close to FFG’s green bases. The following two croppings are from same photo: TIE/D has a painted base while TIE/SF and Lambda behind it have FFG bases.

81A1C0AC-9B68-4DDC-AE76-1347C6DC59C0.jpeg

F4B7926F-352E-4F67-A4E9-6F9C723C3E18.jpeg

Paint is a very good match and well done, nice thin layers. I have found advice about steel washers that do fit very well for weighting, but I am not sure they are absolutely positively flush after fixing them inside. This is obviously also going to be a problem with adding friction, as that requires something like friction studs to actually make contact with the table under the base. What materials did you use for weighting and friction?

Are bases modified in this way usable in major tournaments? Above FLGS level I mean. I only ask because I can see why they would frown on modified bases. I know most wouldn't care, but some will take any chance to complain or try to troll their opponent. Honestly though, someone not as good at painting could layer on some thick rubbery layers that could possibly make maneuver templates fit into the front and back pegs differently. Friction studs or really any friction substance is going to raise the base off the table, even if only slightly. I know I can just bring an unmodified one just in case, I was just hoping to get factual experiences.

For large bases I used four glued DIN125 M10 washers. Their thickness according to charts is 2.0 mm. The cavity in base is deeper than that.

For small bases I used one DIN125 M12 washer. Inner diameter is large enough to allow stacking bases. Its thickness according to charts is 2.5 mm which is very close to the depth of the cavity. I recall selecting thinner ones from those I bought.

Friction studs were ”Anti-Slip Silencer Pads”. They were the first brand I tried and were just slightly taller than cavity. If necessary, I added a layer of two-sided tape undernearth the stud.

Nowadays there are third-party pre-cut friction pads for bases. The ones I have seen people use worked well.

Clear green is thicker than normal acrylic paint but I really don’t see it lumping so much it would prevent templates to seat properly between nubs.

In tournaments, up to nationals, I have never experienced anyone taking notice of modified bases. Also, I haven’t seen modifications that were worse than unmodified bases. I think weight is good for mousepad type mats and friction for vinyl mats and painted game boards.

Yeah, it would almost have to be intentional if someone globbed on enough to change how movement templates fit. I've just seen posts saying that these modifications make bases illegal and I had to rationalize it somehow.

Knowing that you have used them and never had a problem is some of the most solid information I have found. I figure most people who take the time to modify bases are trying to do it well. I have mostly played on mousepad type mats and am clutzy enough that some additional weight in the base just makes me feel much less nervous when playing. 

Thanks for the reply with info on your materials. I will modify a couple of my limited medium bases with less concern about using them in events.