Sign in to follow this  
GamerTnT

Do you need the apothecary kit to use the apothecary talent?

That's the question...

Though, I wouldn't mind y'all's insight on a question I posted in another forum as well... specifically, what does "being under your care during a natural rest" entail?

Could the person using the apothecary talent also be resting during that time?  We generally rule that during a rest period you can't do anything else except rest.  No guard duty.  No spell research.  No skill use.... but should that apply here?

Appreciate your thoughts on both these questions

No, I don't think it does. Apothecary can very easily be called Good Bedside Manner and do the same thing.

As far as rest periods go, I'd say it depends on circumstances. Most people, in real life, still do things even when they are resting. They may read, they may do light exercise, they may tinker. Remember, though, that skill check reflect complex actions with a chance of failure. If a character is not under a time crunch and not risking catastrophic failure, then it's a casual action that simply takes time to complete. Researching complicated magical theory or upgrading a weapon all are complex actions. Helping someone change bandages is just down time activity.

I'd also say it depends on how badly someone is injured. If a character was beaten savagely and has broken bones, they obviously can't do much. Someone who got scratched or lightly bruised can generally recuperate completely in an average night's sleep.