Sign in to follow this  
FireBones

Two Rules Questions on Cheap Shot

Question 1: Would FFG consider errata to Cheap Shot that allows one to commit skill cards with agility icons to the combat skill test that arises from this event?

Question 2: If you use this against an enemy engaged to another investigator, does it break the engagement?

I used the website form to submit a version of question 1, but never got a response.

I think the Rules Reference is clear on Question 1, the fight action is a skill test against combat, so you can only commit cards with combat icons. (You can still use Streetwise to pump up, though). However, I'm wondering if a slight errata would make sense in this case.

For Question 2, the Rules Reference is mostly clear, but there is still some doubt because it is not clear that the text has in mind a case where an enemy is evaded by one investigator while being engaged to another. In particular, the reference's text presupposes that an evaded enemy is engaged to someone: "Any time an enemy is evaded ... the enemy is exhausted (if it were ready) and the engagement is broken." Since the text presupposes that evaded enemies are engaged, it makes me think the text assumes that the evasion is being done by the engaged investigator. The rest of the text repeatedly refers to a particular investigator ("the investigator... that investigator...") 

Still, I think the intention is for the engagement to be broken regardless of whom the enemy is engaged with. This matches the spirit of the wording for the massive keyword. Only ready massive enemies are considered engaged to all investigators in a room, so if one investigator evades the enemy, it will have mass disengagement as a consequence.

9 hours ago, FireBones said:

Question 1: Would FFG consider errata to Cheap Shot that allows one to commit skill cards with agility icons to the combat skill test that arises from this event?

I can’t speak for FFG but I’d be surprised if they did this. My guess is that the intention of this card is to allow evasion of high Evade enemies by targeting their Fight value instead. Thus, you are already getting two bonuses: switching the value for the skill test to a lower one and adding your Combat and Agility scores together. Being able to commit Agility icons would make this card even better, does it need it? Might be an interesting idea for a higher level version of the card though!

10 hours ago, FireBones said:

Question 2: If you use this against an enemy engaged to another investigator, does it break the engagement?

Yes, I think so. While the standard Evade action can only be used on enemies engaged with the evading investigator, this isn’t necessarily a requirement for card effects. See page 6 of the FAQ, which explicitly addresses this for Stray Cat and Cunning Distraction. The text on Cheap Shot is similar to these two cards.

18 hours ago, FireBones said:

I can't find it at the moment, but I know this has already been clarified.  You can only commit icons for the skill being tested.

On 7/15/2018 at 8:31 PM, CSerpent said:

I can't find it at the moment, but I know this has already been clarified.  You can only commit icons for the skill being tested.

It's from the context of "lockpicks", which adds the character's speed to an investigation test. Even when using lockpicks, you can only commit cards with intellect icons and additional speed icons are ignored.