Jump to content
Xargonaut

Battle cards deck building

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

I can't see any rules on building your battle cards deck in the newly updated Tournament Regulations document. Are there any? For example, could someone who bought three core boxes build a deck with three copies of the same mission cards, to make sure that he's gonna play that mission (well, supposing he's the blue player)? Did Alex Davy mentioned anything about this?

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Amanal said:

 

Man it is hidden away on p4: "In addition, players must bring 12 unique objective, deployment, and condition cards, four of each type."
 

Oh wow, it's highlighted in blue and I still missed it! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took me a while to find it in the V1.0 rules and I knew what I was looking for. The Blue Highlight was added in V1.1 and is not all that easy to find all the same.

I think a bullet list would be a better way to highlight what you expect of a player as to the various bits of kit he has to bring to a tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Thats the fun thing about Rules (and rules writing).  :D :D

Of course the rules are meant to be read and understood, but you can make it hard or easy to read and understand.

Making it harder by choice is not good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Amanal said:

Of course the rules are meant to be read and understood, but you can make it hard or easy to read and understand.

Making it harder by choice is not good.

In what way are the rules Harder to read in this instance?

That's what I'm not understanding - because, I mean, you totally can make it harder to read, by couching it in technical jargon or putting things in something other than a flow-effect or alphabetical reference order...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PLAYER MATERIALS:
Players are responsible for bringing all of the game components they need to play a game of STAR WARS: Legion. This includes their army, order tokens for each unit, command hand, sufficient dice for attack and defense rolls, movement tools, and a range ruler. In addition, players must bring 12 unique objective, deployment, and condition battle cards, four of each type. When an army list is required, players should bring a completed list or arrive at the venue early to fill one out.

I would make it easier by turning it into a shopping list.

PLAYER MATERIALS:
Players are responsible for bringing all of the game components they need to play a game of STAR WARS: Legion. This includes their:

  • Army
  • Order Tokens
  • Sufficient Status Tokens (Suppression, Damage and such)
  • Command Hand (of 7 cards)
  • Sufficient Dice for attack and defense rolls
  • Movement Tools
  • Range Ruler
  • 12 Battle Cards of their choice, consisting of:
    • 4 Objective
    • 4 Deployment
    • 4 Condition Cards
  • Completed army list or arrive at the venue with time to fill an army list out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that's a way to do it that makes it easier to see and scan. I would not agree that not choosing to do that (or not thinking of doing that), and instead writing it in regular English sentences, is making it harder by choice. English sentences are the default way to convey written information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2018 at 4:16 AM, Amanal said:

PLAYER MATERIALS:
Players are responsible for bringing all of the game components they need to play a game of STAR WARS: Legion. This includes their army, order tokens for each unit, command hand, sufficient dice for attack and defense rolls, movement tools, and a range ruler. In addition, players must bring 12 unique objective, deployment, and condition battle cards, four of each type. When an army list is required, players should bring a completed list or arrive at the venue early to fill one out.

I would make it easier by turning it into a shopping list.

PLAYER MATERIALS:
Players are responsible for bringing all of the game components they need to play a game of STAR WARS: Legion. This includes their:

  • Army
  • Order Tokens
  • Sufficient Status Tokens (Suppression, Damage and such)
  • Command Hand (of 7 cards)
  • Sufficient Dice for attack and defense rolls
  • Movement Tools
  • Range Ruler
  • 12 Battle Cards of their choice, consisting of:
    • 4 Objective
    • 4 Deployment
    • 4 Condition Cards
  • Completed army list or arrive at the venue with time to fill an army list out

Sufficient dice might not be a great one, since a squad of fleet troopers could roll 12 white attack dice (core set plus 3 dice expansions).

 

Incidentally, since we're talking about the rules document, I've had multiple situations where I've gone to look up something in the rules and had to chase through multiple parts of it to get the information I'm looking for. A good example is that the vehicle damage tokens are not shown next to the description of what they do, which means that if you haven't got them memorized, you have to look through multiple parts of the document to figure out what to do (not great when you have to scroll through it on a phone).

Edited by awesomeclaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, awesomeclaw said:

the vehicle damage tokens are not shown next to the description of what they do

It is too bad this isn't reproduced in the RRG, but page 20 of the Learn to Play book has a nice little list with the icons next to it. I made a quick rules reference sheet for myself that I have printed copies of, and that chart is on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, awesomeclaw said:

Sufficient dice might not be a great one, since a squad of fleet troopers could roll 12 white attack dice (core set plus 3 dice expansions).

 

Incidentally, since we're talking about the rules document, I've had multiple situations where I've gone to look up something in the rules and had to chase through multiple parts of it to get the information I'm looking for. A good example is that the vehicle damage tokens are not shown next to the description of what they do, which means that if you haven't got them memorized, you have to look through multiple parts of the document to figure out what to do (not great when you have to scroll through it on a phone).

Really?

It is not so difficult after all: they are an Arrow,  a Gear and a bullet.  the three damages do regard Movement, actions and weapons...So is it really so difficult? also most of the times you don't need to remember for a long time what are the damages, since once damaged the vehicle is near to die...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toffolone said:

It is not so difficult after all: they are an Arrow,  a Gear and a bullet.  the three damages do regard Movement, actions and weapons...So is it really so difficult?

Yes. Particularly since the words are not a super-clear association - "damaged" and "disabled" are grammatically similar, so unless you play the game often enough to have it memorized, you probably need to read the description of the effect to see which is which. Putting the icon next to it, as it is shown in the Learn to Play, makes that simpler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the point: you don't have to memorize the names of the damages:

you roll the red dice and see:

Shield - then it is this damage that says you may loose one action  - and oyu put the gear token

The other one is for movement - then you pur the arrow

if the weapon is gone than you take the bullet token

The actual effect you still have to check on the book. But that is not a problem opf the tokens, but on the die result.

But you really don't need to memorize which die result corresponds to which effect.

The question said that the token Icon are not clear . While to me they are more than clear once you have defined which damage you got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps some one with same Photoshop skills could whip up a set of three cards (upgrade sized) that has a shield, surge and blank with the correct symbol and text as to the effect?

Maybe FFG could do something that puts them into a prize kit in the future.

As for why they couldn't throw in a dice with the damage symbols, who knows. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2018 at 6:13 PM, Amanal said:

 

Man it is hidden away on p4: "In addition, players must bring 12 unique objective, deployment, and condition cards, four of each type."
 

I did a search in the RR and the Learn to play, and I can't find this phrase.  Is this from an older RR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Screwtape said:

I did a search in the RR and the Learn to play, and I can't find this phrase.  Is this from an older RR?

I'm pretty sure I've seen before a rule saying that you needed to choose 4 cards for each category to form the deck, but I can't find it anymore. Maybe they took it away and you have to shuffle all the 5 cards we have now for each category? I like it more that way, so the players have a little less control over the possibilities of cards for each battle and  gives more diversity of battles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen before a rule saying that you needed to choose 4 cards for each category to form the deck, but I can't find it anymore. Maybe they took it away and you have to shuffle all the 5 cards we have now for each category? I like it more that way, so the players have a little less control over the possibilities of cards for each battle and  gives more diversity of battles

And if you only have 4?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Screwtape said:

And if you only have 4?

Your question made me think a little more and found out the rule. Of course in cassual play you choose from whatever combination of battle cards you want, but if you have to bring all the cards for a tournament and you don't have the Priority Supplies expanssion, what will happen? So the rule we are looking for shouldn't be in the RRG but in the tournament rules, and there it is!!

PLAYER MATERIALS
Players are responsible for bringing all of the game components they need to play a game of STAR WARS : Legion. This includes their army, order tokens for each unit, command hand, sufficient dice for attack and defense rolls, movement tools, and a range ruler. In addition, players must bring 12 unique objective, deployment, and condition battle cards, four of each type. When an army list is required, players should bring a completed list or arrive at the venue early to fill one out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

Your question made me think a little more and found out the rule. Of course in cassual play you choose from whatever combination of battle cards you want, but if you have to bring all the cards for a tournament and you don't have the Priority Supplies expanssion, what will happen? So the rule we are looking for shouldn't be in the RRG but in the tournament rules, and there it is!!

PLAYER MATERIALS
Players are responsible for bringing all of the game components they need to play a game of STAR WARS : Legion. This includes their army, order tokens for each unit, command hand, sufficient dice for attack and defense rolls, movement tools, and a range ruler. In addition, players must bring 12 unique objective, deployment, and condition battle cards, four of each type. When an army list is required, players should bring a completed list or arrive at the venue early to fill one out.

Aha!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...