Atromix

What's the deal with dreadnoughts?

I'll start this off by saying that I have very little knowledge of the EU and that's probably my reason for this but I see people constantly talking about dreadnoughts and I just don't see what's so great about them. I think the standard ones  look a bit meh but I quite like the fractal sponge version with the big bulky front hull. Could someone give me a bit of info on their background? It would be greatly appreciated!

They were a big deal plot-wise in the original Thrawn trilogy way back in the day and some people are really fixated on them for that reason. I'm not one of them - read the Thrawn trilogy, liked it as a kid, don't really care now.

On 7/14/2018 at 4:48 PM, Drasnighta said:

Nostalgia + The lure of the non triangle

Fool! No amount of of nostalgia amplification will ever be more powerful than the triangle!!!!! Not even the mighty sphere can compare!!!! There can only be one debate: the sublime equalateral, the flawed but ultimately relateable isosecles, or the utterly heretical scalene. CHOOSE, NOW!!!!

1 hour ago, Noosh said:

Fool! No amount of of nostalgia amplification will ever be more powerful than the triangle!!!!! Not even the mighty sphere can compare!!!! There can only be one debate: the sublime equalateral, the flawed but ultimately relateable isosecles, or the utterly heretical scalene. CHOOSE, NOW!!!!

Oh yeah, wanna see my apeirogon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apeirogon

1 hour ago, Megatronrex said:

Oh yeah, wanna see my apeirogon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apeirogon

HERESEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now I have to burn you at the 3 sided steak, with no more or less than 3 log. You may substitute the log for Ln, if you're some kind of tree hugging Naturalist. If you're like the rest of us 'Muricans, you'll use good old synthetic log while drinking beer and barbecuein an eagle (so your full of patriotic patriotism)!!!!!!!

Posted (edited)

Mostly Nostalgia (that thing that brought the whole Star Wars back two times and lead to Star Wars Armada in the first place), not only from the Thrawn trilogy but als from various games.

But its also, that the Dreanought embodies so much of the real Star Wars feeling: Crude technology that is so advanced that it hardly improves over the millenia and is mostly made from crude steel it seems and can be put under Water or into sand, back to space and then in a Nebula. Simplistic from use to form.

And thats the look of Star Wars tech embodied in a space ship:
Bildergebnis für Dreadnought star Wars

and the story doesnt end there:

Bildergebnis für Dreadnought star Wars

Edited by DScipio

^^^ 

What Dscipio said!  I never read the Thrawn series, so my fascination with it comes entirely from the SW: Rebellion game and the RPG.  

And its evolution into the AF Mk1 is definitely part of it - FFG should release them as a paired release.

I used to play Rebellion ( PC version ) and it is there I had to use the ship, it had a antique quality to it, matched the overall everyrhing is old mood of the Star Wars.

Not sure I'd say a "fascination" so much as...the number of possible sources for ships in this game is limited.  Especially if you discount one-offs that only appeared in a single medium, and/or were mentioned but never described.

The Dreadnought, as a ship, has appeared in books, comics, and video games almost exactly as much as the Victory-class Star Destroyer, and so considerably more often than the Mk 2 Assault Frigate (which is supposedly derivative of the Dreadnought anyway), Gladiator-class Star Destroyer, Quasar Fire (prior to Rebels), etc.  And, of course, the design WAS brought into 'Rebels', just like the Quasar Fire, meaning it's another of the (VERY!) few ships seen on-screen.

So...on its own?  Eh, it's fine.  But it is iconic, from the perspective of 'exists in lots and lots and lots of other media', so...sort of a no-brainer that we kind of expect to see sooner rather than later.

the dreadnough is iconic for us old timers because it's one of us!😀

it's old, discarded from first and even second rate combat unit, known more for its weaknesses (slow, weak shieds, stupidly huge crew) than for its strengh (strong hull, easy to maintain, biggest multirole ship, and history). it was outdated even before clone wars, and ship building has boomed since then.

so it's a bit of a impersonation that old fans can feel, we aren't mainstream by a long far, but we do still think we can be of use!🤣🤣

On 7/19/2018 at 6:43 PM, Noosh said:

Nee!!!!

The Imperial Support Vessel is like a pug compared to a wolf... An aberration of what it once was. I really hope thst if the Dreadnolught comes it won't be that sorry midget of a ship that Rebels made it to be.