That Blasted Samophlange

MG-100 Starfortress for 2.0

Posted (edited)

I've seen several what if threads for sequel ships and pilots, so I'd thought I'd make one about one of my favourite ships.

resistance-bomber_a2df9e03.jpeg?region=0

Personally, I really enjoy the ship design, and think that 2.0 will let it shine with everything it should have.

If you also like this ship, I recommend the book Cobalt Squadron - we get to see these in action, and learn a lot about Rose and her sister Paige.

So, first off, let me tell you one thing you may not know about the ship - it was modular.  The long lower part that housed the bombs was called the ‘clip’.  This could be removed and replaced for other uses.   Now, I may be mis-remembering, but, if you look at the movie model, it looks like the lower section could indeed be a seperate section.   Which would allow the main ship to land after it detached.   What with Lando’s Falcon having the escape pod detach from the model (and hopefully the Ghost and and Phantoms too) we could have a model that does this.   Note, it may not be worth it, but removing any bomb options could make s suport craft.

So, even if focusing on it being one piece, this will be an interesting craft.   We have two ball turrets, plus lots of guns.  So maybe a forward arc and the double turret?   Regardless, the ship will likely have a gunner slot.   However, canonically, it has a crew of 5; pilot, two ball gunners, bombadier, and an operations/spotter posistion.   I think this means it will likely get a  crew slot as well.  Since Sabine is another faction, we don't have to worry about synnergy.   I would be happy to have a Rose crew card as well as a Paige gunner card.

The ship we see destroy the Fulminatrix (dreadnaught) was named the Hammer, so perfect opportunity for a title.   

Going back to bombs, I think the 1.0 idea of extra tokens is still viable.  Giving bombs, or more appropriately devices, extra charges gives the ship a unique identity.  This would also go with canon as the novel mentioned above, the Hammer dropped some probe droids.

Another side note, rose made a sensor baffler for the bombers later used on the unarmed cargoships escaping the Raddus in the film.   This was a finnicky device, but in game could add to the ships defense - perhaps can only be attacked if in the bulseye arc?  In the novel, this made it so they had to avoid visual detection as their ship was blocked from sensors, but when you are found it doesn't do much.   As a one charge upgrade, this effect can be till you recieve a stress or take damage, at which point you lose a charge.   As a large base, getting it in bulseye won't be difficult.  

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

IMHO, the translation of this ship to the game was the worse of all - much of it consequence of rushing it's release before more information was available.

• model too small.
  • 2 attack dice? really?
  • generic pilot names.
  • no Paige Tico crew (or crew slots)...

This should be a super fortress ship, very slow and clumsy but armed to the teeth. 

With 2nd edition, FFG has the chance to completely redesign the ship, making it a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully with a new, enlarged, miniature.

1 hour ago, Odanan said:

IMHO, the translation of this ship to the game was the worse of all - much of it consequence of rushing it's release before more information was available.

• model too small.
  • 2 attack dice? really?
  • generic pilot names.

This should be a super fortress ship, very slow and clumsy but armed to the teeth. 

With 2nd edition, FFG has the chance to completely redesign the ship, making it a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully with a new, enlarged, miniature.

Add to that list: came with an upgrade that lets you FLING BOMBS FORWARD! :P

Very much hoping the 2.0 model is the Cobalt Blue paint scheme. 

We got a red model with both crinson and Cobalt pilots. We need a blue one. 

I specifically purchased a 1.0 model in expectation of the 2.0 being different enough to warrant having both.

Forward arc + turret

Yes, please. Anyone who's seen the cross section or model up close would agree. I would understand if the final decision is different, however, if it means a more balanced game. 

(In defense of both, the devs have already proven that they want to make ships make sense canonically, and leave the balance to costing, based on what we know of the OUTRIDER and TIE Defender.)

12 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

MY VOTE:

Only ship in the game with a 360 arc. 

But it can't equip gunner Luke..

1 hour ago, Odanan said:

• model too small.
  • 2 attack dice? really?
  • generic pilot names.

I honestly don't think the model is that bad size wise.   They are not big ships.  There is only really room for a pilot in the cockpit.  The ball turrets will fit a human sitting, and are even bigger than the ball turret in the k-wing.

It does have 6 laser cannons (4 forward and two rear) and the two turrets..  it could have 3 attack in a forward and double turret of 2 maybe?  Ignore the back lasers to give it a blindspot, or force it to rotate.   

I agree that we should get the blue painscheme to go with the Cobalt Hammer title

8 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I honestly don't think the model is that bad size wise.   They are not big ships.  There is only really room for a pilot in the cockpit.  The ball turrets will fit a human sitting, and are even bigger than the ball turret in the k-wing.

Looking it up, the models scale is 1/273 which is actually a bit less than the scale of the X-Wing at 1/275 so the model is almost exactly where it should be given the range of X-Wing scales.

11 minutes ago, Commander Kaine said:

Dial:

Red stop

Speed 1 red bank

Speed 1 green straight

Speed 2 red straight

It's rubbish, but accurate.

Sorry OP, your opinion is your own and all, and I'm not normally one to criticise taste just because you like something other than an X-Wing or TIE Fighter, but I really feel like these are the worst ships that have ever been in a Star Wars film. 

(With the possible exception of the First Order landing craft and the Resistance transport)

They're ugly, their design is boring, they're terrible at the job they were apparently designed to do, they're somehow both slow and fragile and they're demonstrably less effective than the Y-Wings we saw a year earlier (IRL) in Rogue One, a film set 34 years prior. Even their name sucks, it's literally just the name of a WW2 bomber (a criticism I will also level at the U-Wing for trying to be a space Black Hawk).

That said, they're a thing in the films so I guess they deserve a spot on the table. May as well make them functional. 

I like a lot of the ideas presented here. 

2 hours ago, Odanan said:

• model too small.
  • 2 attack dice? really?
  • generic pilot names.

With 2nd edition, FFG has the chance to completely redesign the ship, making it a force to be reckoned with.

This is probably the most succinct summary. 

The bomber was obviously rushed into X-Wing, it needs proper named pilots and crew, a turret slot (personally I prefer the idea of a customisable turret on this one, as opposed to a primary weapon turret) and probably a gunner slot to go with it. Only issue is whether you give it two gunner slots so that you can take something like bombardier, and risk potentially broken gunner combos (bearing in mind none of the Rebel gunner cards will be usable on it, so no Han + Luke shenanigans).

I have no idea how to translate the vast amount of 'dumb' bombs into a viable dogfighting mechanic, though. There is no way the bombers would ever be able to use a silo drop like we see in the films to tag something fast like an X-Wing. 

8 minutes ago, joeshmoe554 said:

Looking it up, the models scale is 1/273 which is actually a bit less than the scale of the X-Wing at 1/275 so the model is almost exactly where it should be given the range of X-Wing scales.

Good to know.   So the size difference is almost imperceptible then.   I know in the book they were cramped ships, especially with Rose’s sensor baffler.

Maybe they will come with a ship ability that grants them an extra charge on bombs, makes it so they have the ability to DROP up to two devices during the systems phase or maybe drop one then and then one after movement, and have it so that while they have have charge tokens on bomb upgrades they take damage from attacks. Give them the chance to sort of carpet bomb but at the cost of possibly lighting up like a powder keg like they did in the film.

3 hours ago, Odanan said:

All because of Sabine. Also, they aren't really all that close to the on screen model used in the film so hopefully it will be getting a resculpt. 

Model on display at Disney.

Verizon-Resistance-Bomber-Banner-800x445.jpg

From the wikia. Image result for resistance bomber

X-Wing 1.0 mini. 

SW_XWing_Resistance_Bomber.png1.png

3 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

xtra charges gives the ship a unique identity.  This would also go with canon as the novel mentioned above, the Hammer dropped some probe droids.

Actually, that bit about dropping a probe droid is pretty interesting. I wonder if that will be a device added after some time, maybe it lets you ping target locks off it, or maybe it interacts with ships that you attack within range of it. Hmmmm, looking forward to new and interesting device options. 

2 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

...Also, they aren't really all that close to the on screen model used in the film so hopefully it will be getting a resculpt. 

Model on display at Disney.

Verizon-Resistance-Bomber-Banner-800x445.jpg

From the wikia. Image result for resistance bomber

X-Wing 1.0 mini. 

SW_XWing_Resistance_Bomber.png1.png

Couldn't agree more. 

No wing guns. 

No downward angle on the wings.

Overly-simple sculpting on the forward facing guns. 

No angled antenna behind cockpit.

No barrels on the dorsal turret.

Paint scheme was better than the 3d image you have referenced above, but barely. I spent an hour adding weathering and touch-ups to the paint job after opening it. 

All around, can't complain much since the model got me most of the way there, and I'm happy I didn't have to 3d design it and manufacture it. But DEFINITELY looking forward to a re-pain and re-sculpt.

What if it has some special ability? Like, you have a forward arc with 3 dice, then if you equip a turret upgrade, equip it as a dual arc turret instead of a single arc turret? Just kind of combining ideas already mentioned, but it could be kind of cool. 

Similar to how the old Outrider title played around with how cannons worked. You can even make it a ship ability:

"Flying Fortress:

If equipped with a (turret upgrade), use a (dual arc) instead of a (single arc).

[And some ship ability about bombs]"

Guessing white reload, focus, TL. 

1 hour ago, Bucknife said:

Couldn't agree more. 

No wing guns. 

No downward angle on the wings.

Overly-simple sculpting on the forward facing guns. 

No angled antenna behind cockpit.

No barrels on the dorsal turret.

Paint scheme was better than the 3d image you have referenced above, but barely. I spent an hour adding weathering and touch-ups to the paint job after opening it. 

All around, can't complain much since the model got me most of the way there, and I'm happy I didn't have to 3d design it and manufacture it. But DEFINITELY looking forward to a re-pain and re-sculpt.

I can only imagine it was due to LFL giving early concept work to FFG to do their sculpt. The Silencer has a similar issue with its rear being different, it being far too big, and I think missing the missiles on its wings. Granted since Rian Johnson has admitted to having ILM change the model of the Silencer to more match the toy, since he liked the missile gimmick, I wouldn't be surprised if he came in last second telling the people doing the CG work to change the models at which point FFG was likely already done with their molds or the like. 

Still, I can only hope that moving forward FFG won't be pushing to have X-Wing related stuff pushed forward for the movies so that we get more accurate representations. Besides, if they dumped that load onto Destiny even if there was an error of sorts its more abstract so could likely not really end up mattering too much. 

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

...so would spontaneously exploding when overlapping a ship with 3 Hull or more, but no one's clamouring for that rule to be implemented.

The game takes some liberties from the films and TV. Ships are more fragile there than they are in this game. Vader on screen was a force who could destroy a Y-Wing with every squeeze of the trigger. He solo-killed a Pelta-class frigate on Rebels and could fly his ship in reverse. 

39 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

The game takes some liberties from the films and TV. Ships are more fragile there than they are in this game. Vader on screen was a force who could destroy a Y-Wing with every squeeze of the trigger. He solo-killed a Pelta-class frigate on Rebels and could fly his ship in reverse. 

Which just tells me that his attack stat should instead be equal to the number of hull the other ship has. :P

1 or 2 crew slots + 1 or 2 gunners. 

Imagine this thing as the only ship in the game pulling double Gunner shenanigans? I mean, could that even work?

I say, take the T.Simulator a step further... Let this thing literally drop or throw devices using ANY movement template. 

1 hour ago, Bucknife said:

1 or 2 crew slots + 1 or 2 gunners. 

Imagine this thing as the only ship in the game pulling double Gunner shenanigans? I mean, could that even work?

"Our teamwork makes ME awesome" is the Resistance theme. Slot combos, particularly crew, gunner, astromech, pilot combos, seems right up that alley.