That Blasted Samophlange

MG-100 Starfortress for 2.0

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

This bothers me as well    The Resistance Bomber seems very indiscriminate, and designed to cause as much damage as possible on a slow or static target.  And extremely inefficient at the role it was used for in the film.

In fact, the Resistance Bombers seem more suited for the role the Dreadnaught was given in the film.  i.e. glassing fortified positions (or population centers)

The Rebellion were all about repurposing civilian craft, and the StarFortress is no exception. The rows upon rows of proton bombs were originally intended for the delivery of Hot Pockets. You could feed an entire town for a week with a single payload of melty pepperoni goodness!

6 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

The Rebellion were all about repurposing civilian craft, and the StarFortress is no exception. The rows upon rows of proton bombs were originally intended for the delivery of Hot Pockets. You could feed an entire town for a week with a single payload of melty pepperoni goodness!

No, you don't get it. The Resistance was planning on developing Drone ships and the Starfortress was meant to drop large supplies of Doritos and Mountain Dew to their new pilots (gamers). And to think they could have perfected the Hyperspace Ram and taken out their foes across the galaxy, but no, they needed to be used as carpet bombers when they were built with the toughest armor out their...Aluminium!

7 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

Well, you are joking, but that is kind of how it is - they were used to decimate ice caps on mining planets to create access to any rescources under the ice and could also deliver payloads other than bombs. Makes a lot more sense then sending them into a full fledged space battle, thanks Poe!

Edited by Admiral Deathrain

39 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

Well, you are joking, but that is kind of how it is - they were used to decimate ice caps on mining planets to create access to any rescources under the ice and could also deliver payloads other than bombs. Makes a lot more sense then sending them into a full fledged space battle, thanks Poe!

Environmental destruction spinned as something harmless... Witness the rebel propaganda machine at work!

Funnily enough, when the Empire tried to clean the waters of Mon Cala, in order to help the native Quarren (living under the cruel oppression of the Mon Calamari, the engineers of the Rebellion), they accused us of the very same thing, albeit in a bit different manner. Hah! Figures. They called our Terraforming equipment World Devastators, while in fact, they were harmless machines, designed for the betterment of the Galaxy.

• Resistance - as a faction - only has 3 ships (maybe 4 if they give us the A-wing in the conversion set).
  • The Starfortress should definitely get improved.
  • The dial being bleeding awful is correct and should remain that way. This thing should be on a par with the lambda shuttle, frankly.
  • Crimson Hammer being a title card sounds good. Rather annoyingly, Deathfire has already snagged the obvious 'I'm taking you with me!' ability.
  • The Starfortress needs to stand apart from the Falcon. Rather reassuringly, thanks to Rebels =/= resistance, it no longer needs to worry about treading on the Ghost's toes.
  • I would therefore suggest making it a 16 hit/agility 0 ship, rather than a 12-hit agility 1 ship.
  • Reinforce seems justified if we're removing the ability to roll green dice.
  • Those turrets definitely need to be more than a 2-dice attack. Frankly, as heavy laser cannons, they should be a 4-dice attack, but that needs handling VERY carefully; I'm not convinced about Dash, yet.
    • There might be an argument for making it a turret slot. That would let you have a 4-dice 'heavy laser turret' but still put enough restrictions in use on it to avoid it being overpowered and mean it won't turn up on a K-wing or Y-wing:
      • Large based ship only?
      • Maybe range 2 only?
      • Normal heavy laser cannon crits-to-hits effect.
  • I would say forward arc plus single turret.
  • Needs a systems slot to employ trajectory simulator or fire control system
  • Needs a gunner slot to employ either turret gunner or skilled bombardier
  • Ordnance Silos is a thing worth looking at - with most bombs having a charge limit.
    • Ordnance Silos being a bomb upgrade makes sense
    • Either let it do an action-cheap reload, or else give it a stockpile of charge you can spend whenever instructed to spend charges from a [bomb] upgrade.
    • One thing which might make it interesting is the 'secondary explosions' - maybe whenever you take a face-up damage card, you have a chance of taking extra damage if you have ordnance silo charges left?
  • Crossfire Formation actually sounds more like something which could be an interesting talent without it being starfortress specific. Maybe something that's limited to ships with the 'rotate' action? Making it multiple ships with the rotate action in a defensive box makes more sense for what it's meant to be.

4 hours ago, Commander Kaine said:

Environmental destruction spinned as something harmless... Witness the rebel propaganda machine at work!

Funnily enough, when the Empire tried to clean the waters of Mon Cala, in order to help the native Quarren (living under the cruel oppression of the Mon Calamari, the engineers of the Rebellion), they accused us of the very same thing, albeit in a bit different manner. Hah! Figures. They called our Terraforming equipment World Devastators, while in fact, they were harmless machines, designed for the betterment of the Galaxy.

Slanderous propaganda! The heroes of the resistance liberated these craft from the hands of greedy corporations performing these operations for the benefit of the first order!

3 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:
  • Resistance - as a faction - only has 3 ships (maybe 4 if they give us the A-wing in the conversion set).
  • The Starfortress should definitely get improved.
  • The dial being bleeding awful is correct and should remain that way. This thing should be on a par with the lambda shuttle, frankly.
  • Crimson Hammer being a title card sounds good. Rather annoyingly, Deathfire has already snagged the obvious 'I'm taking you with me!' ability.
  • The Starfortress needs to stand apart from the Falcon. Rather reassuringly, thanks to Rebels =/= resistance, it no longer needs to worry about treading on the Ghost's toes.
  • I would therefore suggest making it a 16 hit/agility 0 ship, rather than a 12-hit agility 1 ship.
  • Reinforce seems justified if we're removing the ability to roll green dice.
  • Those turrets definitely need to be more than a 2-dice attack. Frankly, as heavy laser cannons, they should be a 4-dice attack, but that needs handling VERY carefully; I'm not convinced about Dash, yet.
    • There might be an argument for making it a turret slot. That would let you have a 4-dice 'heavy laser turret' but still put enough restrictions in use on it to avoid it being overpowered and mean it won't turn up on a K-wing or Y-wing:
      • Large based ship only?
      • Maybe range 2 only?
      • Normal heavy laser cannon crits-to-hits effect.
  • I would say forward arc plus single turret.
  • Needs a systems slot to employ trajectory simulator or fire control system
  • Needs a gunner slot to employ either turret gunner or skilled bombardier
  • Ordnance Silos is a thing worth looking at - with most bombs having a charge limit.
    • Ordnance Silos being a bomb upgrade makes sense
    • Either let it do an action-cheap reload, or else give it a stockpile of charge you can spend whenever instructed to spend charges from a [bomb] upgrade.
    • One thing which might make it interesting is the 'secondary explosions' - maybe whenever you take a face-up damage card, you have a chance of taking extra damage if you have ordnance silo charges left?
  • Crossfire Formation actually sounds more like something which could be an interesting talent without it being starfortress specific. Maybe something that's limited to ships with the 'rotate' action? Making it multiple ships with the rotate action in a defensive box makes more sense for what it's meant to be.

I certainly see Ordnance Silos as the ship ability of the Starfortress - the model has them built in after all.  

I don't think I would give the turrets more than three dice.   They are more rapidfire than heavy if I recall.   With the two of them, I think the ship warrants a double arc, and maybe a two attack forward.   

I maintain that both a crew and gunner are necessary and thematic.  

For more info, there is this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cobalt_Squadron_(Resistance)

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I certainly see Ordnance Silos as the ship ability of the Starfortress - the model has them built in after all.  

I don't think I would give the turrets more than three dice.   They are more rapidfire than heavy if I recall.   With the two of them, I think the ship warrants a double arc, and maybe a two attack forward.   

I maintain that both a crew and gunner are necessary and thematic.  

For more info, there is this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cobalt_Squadron_(Resistance)

I'd not go too overboard, forward arc+double mobile is a whole lot of covered are. If you want to represent the forward facing guns, maybe a bullseye only primary could be an option.

Just now, Admiral Deathrain said:

I'd not go too overboard, forward arc+double mobile is a whole lot of covered are. If you want to represent the forward facing guns, maybe a bullseye only primary could be an option.

Make it bullseye four dice with no range bonus at range one and this could be a very nice ship.

20 minutes ago, Admiral Deathrain said:

I would be fine with a bullseye arc.   Really my desire for the coverage is due to the guns fore, aft, and the turrets that the ship actually has in canon.

I would even be fine with a 1 attack forward.  

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

Since FFG seems to be trying to get rid of defensive mods, I could see the Crossfire Formation being turned into an offensive mod. Perhaps one that allows an extra attack die (on a 2 die turret) for each Starfortress that also has the target in its firing arc. If that proves too overpowering, as it would be possible to throw 5 die in one attack, without range limitations in place. You could instead up the damage of the turret to 3 dice, and then allow dice mods (eyeball to hit) for each Starfortress in range.

anyway, just some thoughts.

8 hours ago, acesandeights said:

Since FFG seems to be trying to get rid of defensive mods, I could see the Crossfire Formation being turned into an offensive mod. Perhaps one that allows an extra attack die (on a 2 die turret) for each Starfortress that also has the target in its firing arc. If that proves too overpowering, as it would be possible to throw 5 die in one attack, without range limitations in place. You could instead up the damage of the turret to 3 dice, and then allow dice mods (eyeball to hit) for each Starfortress in range.

anyway, just some thoughts.

Hmm...

Making it an offensive boost instead does sort of make sense too. I guess that crossfire is primarily making it harder to dodge, so maybe something to mess with green dice if you've got multiple ships with Crossfire Formation lined up on you (with the new bases, you could even specify the shots have to be coming in from different facings).

After all, with Resistance, X-wings don't have Evade, and the MG-100 Star fortress and the Falcon are both large ships, so at the moment the faction has no access to anything with a similar effect to Juke. Knocking down green dice to focus results is nasty but not that nasty if you have a focus token.....but if you have a second attacker....and you've had to spend your focus token evading them....

....which is, of course, pretty much the point of a crossfire.

On 7/14/2018 at 3:48 PM, Odanan said:

Are Paige Tico and the bomb release box also magnetically guided?

yes. and everyone on the Dreadnaught is magnetically guided to the floor. And everyone on the Millennium Falcon. And the entire Rebel fleet. Hmm... wait. Maybe they have artificial gravity in Star Wars? And maybe an object that is accelerated "downward" will continue in that direction until some other force acts on it, so the bombs don't need any special technology to do exactly what they did, but a bunch of Star Wars nerds who think they're way cleverer than they actually are decided to make a ruckus over one of the more emotionally satisfying scenes in the whole ******* movie. God I hate this fandom sometimes.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:53 AM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Resistance - as a faction - only has 3 ships (maybe 4 if they give us the A-wing in the conversion set).

They really only have two: the T-70 and the Bomber.

Edit: meant to quote @Magnus Grendel.  Not sure what happened there.

Edited by papy72

18 minutes ago, Commander Kaine said:

I remember Rey being quite a threat. Any reason she is not included? After all, she and the falcon carries literally all of the resistance.

LOL - I totally forgot about that one!  And I even went back through the 1.0 releases looking for Resistance stuff.

OMG and I just realized I even OWN Heroes of the Resistance...

9 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

yes. and everyone on the Dreadnaught is magnetically guided to the floor. And everyone on the Millennium Falcon. And the entire Rebel fleet. Hmm... wait. Maybe they have artificial gravity in Star Wars? And maybe an object that is accelerated "downward" will continue in that direction until some other force acts on it, so the bombs don't need any special technology to do exactly what they did, but a bunch of Star Wars nerds who think they're way cleverer than they actually are decided to make a ruckus over one of the more emotionally satisfying scenes in the whole ******* movie. God I hate this fandom sometimes.

If being delusional is your way to love Star Wars, good for you. 

I suppose if people try hard, they will find explanation for every thing WRONG in Star Wars about physics and space. For me, it's easier to accept it as "Science Fantasy".

10 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

If they were propelled by gravity alone, then the ones at the top would run into the ones underneath as they would have more time to accelerate.

On 7/18/2018 at 5:32 PM, FTS Gecko said:

This bothers me as well    The Resistance Bomber seems very indiscriminate, and designed to cause as much damage as possible on a slow or static target.  And extremely inefficient at the role it was used for in the film.

In fact, the Resistance Bombers seem more suited for the role the Dreadnaught was given in the film.  i.e. glassing fortified positions (or population centers)

Admittedly, it's pretty strange, but we have to remember one thing: The Resistance isn't a major force in the galaxy. I doubt the Rebels used Clone Wars ere vessels by choice. It was probably the one intact assault craft they could get their hands on. It'd be like someone actually using an early jet bomber as an assault craft (SU-27, A-10) Personally, I would have tried to scrounge one or two B-Wing MKIIs instead on creating Uglies, but I also don't know what they had.