The Jabbawookie

Tales of Tilting

For educational and entertainment purposes (mostly entertainment.) If you’ve got a good one, share.  The group I play with are all “kind” and “respectful,” so I’m sorry I can’t yet contribute.

Tilting according to Wikipedia: “Tilt is a poker term for a state of mental or emotional confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a less than optimal strategy, usually resulting in the player becoming over-aggressive. This term is closely associated with "steam" and some consider the terms equivalent, although steam typically carries more anger and intensity.”

Edited by The Jabbawookie

My story of tilting is actually what brought me to the forums. I've been here ever since I raised the question:

TLDR:

I was in a CC event and had depended on my partner to win, he failed, so I had to use shady tactics to pull off a win. Opponent got pretty steamed about it. 

Mine is also why I stated on the armada forums fo rhte most part, and is here: 

In short, a guy had to play to fill out the roster, and played against me, and played exactly wrong (Think putting all of your squadrons in one arc of an OE flecette raider as second player bad) before conceding and storming out of the room.

I didn't tilt at the store championship I attended on Sunday but I did get frustrated and lose interest in my last game which was clearly a match up I was going to lose from move one.

I don't play Armada often enough to be anything other than competent at best and was playing people who play a lot more than me. I lost every game and finished last.

I got up early, travelled 100 mile round trip which in the UK is not cheap as far as petrol is concerned, paid £15 entry fee and in the last game I ended up playing my friend. 100 miles and £15 to play somebody I could play in my home city anytime!! 

Looking back I was simply outclassed by people who are better than me at the game because they play it more. I thought my fleet was reasonable; BT Avenger, Gladiator with Demolisher title, a carrier and Comms Net Gozanti. For fighter cover I had three Interceptors, Howlrunner and Zertik Strom to try and keep the fire off Howlrunner. I think the carrier was the weak point even though it had a flight controller it wasn't worth the points and it's lack of decent defence saw it fairly easily destroyed.

Also disappointing was the fact that I had to play against Imperials in every game. They were very few rebel players. I really do feel that both X-Wing and Armada are better games when Rebels play against Imperials.

In hindsight it wasn't a horrible experience but I don't think I would travel to tournaments again though I would play in our local store championship if I wasn't working on that day. After losing two games and clearly having the wrong kind of Fleet to win it, the 3rd game it was hard to smile through because I was tired, out of pocket and a little bit frustrated.

It's a long way to go, a very early start and a fair bit of money to spend to lose every game.

37 minutes ago, Soviet65 said:

I didn't tilt at the store championship I attended on Sunday but I did get frustrated and lose interest in my last game which was clearly a match up I was going to lose from move one.

I don't play Armada often enough to be anything other than competent at best and was playing people who play a lot more than me. I lost every game and finished last.

I got up early, travelled 100 mile round trip which in the UK is not cheap as far as petrol is concerned, paid £15 entry fee and in the last game I ended up playing my friend. 100 miles and £15 to play somebody I could play in my home city anytime!! 

Looking back I was simply outclassed by people who are better than me at the game because they play it more. I thought my fleet was reasonable; BT Avenger, Gladiator with Demolisher title, a carrier and Comms Net Gozanti. For fighter cover I had three Interceptors, Howlrunner and Zertik Strom to try and keep the fire off Howlrunner. I think the carrier was the weak point even though it had a flight controller it wasn't worth the points and it's lack of decent defence saw it fairly easily destroyed.

Also disappointing was the fact that I had to play against Imperials in every game. They were very few rebel players. I really do feel that both X-Wing and Armada are better games when Rebels play against Imperials.

In hindsight it wasn't a horrible experience but I don't think I would travel to tournaments again though I would play in our local store championship if I wasn't working on that day. After losing two games and clearly having the wrong kind of Fleet to win it, the 3rd game it was hard to smile through because I was tired, out of pocket and a little bit frustrated.

It's a long way to go, a very early start and a fair bit of money to spend to play every game.

?

The last store championship i was at I had someone till pretty hard at me. I'm in the regular habit of telegraphing all the things I do so an opponent knows exactly what's happening at any given time so there are no misunderstandings. as such I'll leave rulers out showing what measurements I'm doing so they see but it's against the rules so i figured if anyone ever asked or mentioned it I'd just stop, it's more for their benefit than my own. So I'm setting a fighter down in between howl and his fighter to get howls bonus and he FLIPPED that i still had the distance 1 ruler out as i measured the 4. Called the To over and started ranting about how I'd done it multi times. To was cool about it, great guy, said "don't do that again", and we continued the game. I was honestly amazed the kid freaked out that much, all he had to say was "please don't" and I would have happily stopped, felt super disruptive to the game. 

17 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

The last store championship i was at I had someone till pretty hard at me. I'm in the regular habit of telegraphing all the things I do so an opponent knows exactly what's happening at any given time so there are no misunderstandings. as such I'll leave rulers out showing what measurements I'm doing so they see but it's against the rules so i figured if anyone ever asked or mentioned it I'd just stop, it's more for their benefit than my own. So I'm setting a fighter down in between howl and his fighter to get howls bonus and he FLIPPED that i still had the distance 1 ruler out as i measured the 4. Called the To over and started ranting about how I'd done it multi times. To was cool about it, great guy, said "don't do that again", and we continued the game. I was honestly amazed the kid freaked out that much, all he had to say was "please don't" and I would have happily stopped, felt super disruptive to the game. 

I get that the first time, but honestly hat pisses me off more is when people starting doing this at turn 3-4 when things start to shake out.  It doesn't feel good at all, because if you say nothing the first few times, I presume you want it like this.  Easier that way.  I too have had people flip out at me for declaring my triggers late in the game.  Makes for a real good time.

Yesterday I rolled the pelta's front arc hoping to do decent damage and potentially kill a motti isd. I'll start by saying I'm not a big fan of the pelta.

I rolled 4 accuracies.

I was pretty tilted.

Edited by Sybreed

15 hours ago, Soviet65 said:

It's a long way to go, a very early start and a fair bit of money to spend to lose every game.

Oh man. That sounds like most of my regionals experiences. I'd driven 2-5 hours for a few of them, and ended up coming in the bottom quarter in every one. I think lifetime I'm 1-11 at regionals.

It depends on your pain threshold. Sometimes it's just good to get out and play. And I'd recommend going to one a year to at least get the alt art and see different lists, even if you get stommped. 

I was playing at the Stele Open in 2017. I lost my first match to @Stasy (fun game that was kinda of close but I caught a nasty crit on my carrier, which took it basically out of the game) and was playing my second match against @Formynder4. I misdeployed my CR90B that was my intel sweep ship and it was destroyed round 2 or 3, which made me loose the objective and put me on tilt. I had two options to go with against my opponents Liberty...AFMKll B with my bomber wing or a nice juicy Admonition shot into the Liberties Aft. I got so excited about the bomber wing I rushed and didn’t see the Admo shot at all. Probably would not have made the difference, but loosing the put 90 put me on tilt and I was rushing to try to get something back.

The lesson here is...slow down...

Even though I lost it was still a great time.

Edited by mcworrell

Today I got tilted about a situation in game that can't be fixed in game:  one again I saw Rieekan Yavaris Aces across the table,  and one again a small defensive screen intended to briefly hold up ther enemy line disappeared instantly upon enemy contact,  leaving the rest of my fleet unable to stop a pummeling even as they tried to escape.  Only a single friendly ship even made contact, and accomplished nothing of consequence before being obliterated in as single turn. 

It was my Most Wanted ISD.  gave a 9-2 in one turn without getting shot at by a single ship.

I've been avenging all my past tilts about rieekans aces during store championships with my Thrawn bomber list. I've faced two lists and it felt incredibly satisfying watching them toss all their squadrons into the front arc of my Kuat to either bomb it or kill Major Rhymer. Then obliterating all of their squadrons in one round of shooting.

5 hours ago, Karneck said:

I've been avenging all my past tilts about rieekans aces during store championships with my Thrawn bomber list. I've faced two lists and it felt incredibly satisfying watching them toss all their squadrons into the front arc of my Kuat to either bomb it or kill Major Rhymer. Then obliterating all of their squadrons in one round of shooting.

What is the list?

18 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

What is the list?

Check out this forum topic 

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/278640-cannot-get-your-ship-out-july-articles/

The article is a great read as the discussion is generated from it.

My fleet list is posted there.

Also it's not an automatic win. You gotta bait the trap very heavily.  It is an all-in build and you have to time the approach perfectly. 

Edited by Karneck

Armada's been pretty good to me so far. The worst that's really happened is that when I'm playing against new players, they tend to have PHENOMENAL luck. Quadruple natural double-hits on red dice and an accuracy from their Cymoon lucky. It's fine, because my experience let's me clean up anyway, but it frustrates me so much that they then rant about how smart their play was, justifying it by the outlier results they got.

In X-Wing though, that's another story. I've got a 3 months running bad luck streak on Vassal games, which largely makes it impossible to win a lot of match ups. I can normally take it in stride, because Vassal is a place to explore the game, rather than claw for victories at every possible opportunity. What tilts me is when I do EVERYTHING right, and still get creamed (think an opponent's MSU fleet flying straight at triple vader/gunnery team/X17 Cymoons, only to kill all three destroyers). It's worse in tournaments, because I'll drive 2 hours, spend more disposable income than I gather in a fortnight and miss the cut by some tiny MoV because a lucky player rolls natties 5 times straight. I've got a serious reputation at my FLGS as the 'lucky guy', but it drains away the moment there's any kind of real reward on the line.

Opening the door to other FFG games, I've seen people tilt really badly in Civilisation TBG (the older one) because of inconsequential card draws. I've seen players outright rage quit - just stand up and walk away from the table without a word - when I execute a move I've been telegraphing for an hour and a half. I've had players constantly - constantly - complain that everyone's ganging up on them after the slightest infraction (think moving the robber to a '4' hex bordering their village in Catan). I think it's borne out of the length of the game (nobody complains much in Uno) and the difficulty of coming as far as they have. If that's the case, I'm dreading playing Twilight Imperium.

Worst of all, I've seen players hold grudges. Not the 'you hit me last turn so I'm not giving you my trade goods' kind of grudge, but the 'remember last month when we last played this game how you used X to win? Well, I'm going to play the entire game to deny you winning - especially if you try X again!' kind of grudge. I typically play with 3 players, so as soon as this happens, the 3rd party is guaranteed a shallow victory, and the other two players rise to higher and higher levels of frustration and pettiness.

There's also a sort of anti-tilt I've seen which overcompensates for excellent luck with outlandish philanthropy. Like in Monopoly, a player who scors both dark blues (whatever you want to call them) on the first trip round the board is likely to spend the rest of the game making sub-optimal trades for one or two properties when someone walks into that awful trap, instead of outright cleaning them out. It's a nice thought, but ultimately leads to either a shallow victory for other players, or a far extended victory for the anti-tilted player, leaving everyone frustrated.

6 hours ago, Astech said:

Armada's been pretty good to me so far. The worst that's really happened is that when I'm playing against new players, they tend to have PHENOMENAL luck. Quadruple natural double-hits on red dice and an accuracy from their Cymoon lucky. It's fine, because my experience let's me clean up anyway, but it frustrates me so much that they then rant about how smart their play was, justifying it by the outlier results they got.

That's the system working as intended!

The whole point of having dice is so that, unlike a game without any randomness (eg Chess), the player with more skill won't always win. They'll tend to, yeah, and they will more often than not, but the whims of chance dramatically widen the skill variance that you could consider "evenly matched". You can play people significantly better or worse than you, and hot/cold dice can still swing the game. 

So, in your example, the more veteran player ended up winning, but the rookie still got to feel good and have fun even while losing. That's exactly how it's supposed to go!

28 minutes ago, svelok said:

That's the system working as intended!

The whole point of having dice is so that, unlike a game without any randomness (eg Chess), the player with more skill won't always win. They'll tend to, yeah, and they will more often than not, but the whims of chance dramatically widen the skill variance that you could consider "evenly matched". You can play people significantly better or worse than you, and hot/cold dice can still swing the game. 

So, in your example, the more veteran player ended up winning, but the rookie still got to feel good and have fun even while losing. That's exactly how it's supposed to go!

I totally understand the intent of the system, and agree with it to a certain degree. The problem arises when things go so well for a new player that they have no idea why they lost, or get the illusion that they were the unlucky ones due to their lack of experience. Sure, it can make some games closer, but it makes a lot of others utterly awful for new players. Big luck swings, in the long run, don't work out well for anyone unless there are prizes up for grabs, and even then 90% of players get stiffed.