Sign in to follow this  
Taki

Usaa anyone else unhappy with which creatures go with what clan?

Can the Kitsu NOT be a thing? PLEASE!? The Art and the abilities of the Lion Shugenja translate SO much better in this game since you don't have to build a dedicated shugs deck just to include 3 or 4 choice spells.

Honestly I do not even care what we get as long as we get some historical revisionism on that "the whole kitsu family are closeted furries" thing

3 hours ago, Foxtrot Four said:

Can the Kitsu NOT be a thing? PLEASE!? The Art and the abilities of the Lion Shugenja translate SO much better in this game since you don't have to build a dedicated shugs deck just to include 3 or 4 choice spells.

Honestly I do not even care what we get as long as we get some historical revisionism on that "the whole kitsu family are closeted furries" thing

So you want a tanuki?

4 hours ago, Foxtrot Four said:

The what now?

On 7/12/2018 at 3:09 PM, Schmoozies said:

On of the things you have to remember is that Mantis are always the butt of you don't belong jokes from the other clans in the old game and have had to live through having our clan eliminated 3 times (during the transition from Wizards to AEG where we we didn't make the cut during the first faction culling and were eventually brought back mid cycle, than again when they were transitioning to the Obsidian Empire arc and despite apparently being one of the principle powers in the colonies, and lastly when the game transitioned over to FFG) and when we are brought back to be playable, we were normally left on the back foot in terms of playable decks for key chunks of those arcs while the missing card pool that being left out of the core set meant we didn't have.

Add that every time we seemed to see story traction it was met with the rest of the clans complaining about how Mary Sue we were treated and not deserving of what we got (Yoritomo attaining Kami status) and the ridiculousness like the $1,000 bounty offered by the Crane to the winner of the last AEG Gencon to use the story prize to negate the work that the Mantis players had put into legitimizing our place as one of the great clans by having Yoritomo ripped from his place in the celestial court.

There is good reason why we as the loyal fans of the faction get triggered by others trying to downplay our position in the game.

Qft. But your pain is a trifle to me, I was a naga player.  We got robbed of our clan often

On 7/12/2018 at 11:09 AM, Schmoozies said:

On of the things you have to remember is that Mantis are always the butt of you don't belong jokes from the other clans in the old game

No wonder you guys got so chummy with the Spider. ;)

On 7/12/2018 at 11:09 AM, Schmoozies said:

Add that every time we seemed to see story traction it was met with the rest of the clans complaining about how Mary Sue we were treated and not deserving of what we got

Let's be realistic here-

When the Mantis showed up and did things with the rest of Rokugan (which was painfully seldom- as a Phoenix fan, believe me, I sympathize), their teflon coating was generally absolutely absurd.

When were the Mantis ever chumped in inter-clan conflict? Now, some of that was a lack of real estate- the other clans could all lose castles, have strongholds burned down (repeatedly... *hard side-eye at Kyuden Isawa, possibly the most frequently destroyed stronghold in the Empire*), and lose towns... while the Mantis' mainland holdings often seemed to not exist- not the fault of the Mantis playerbase by any means, but it definitely stuck in the craw.

Their narrative "weaknesses" were inevitably things they were never shown to actually mind-
"Nobody likes us, we don't care."
"We don't have as many samurai as other clans, but we always have enough for the stories they bother to tell with us."
"We have almost no mainland holdings... but since nobody ever messes with them, no worries!"
And so on.

Meanwhile, everyone else could count on being chumped in their area of specialty from time to time (some.... more often than others- between the Lion losing military fights- and Champions!- and the Phoenix getting punked magically or having their magic simply not work on whatever they were facing, it got pretty silly there. The Worf Effect was alive and well in L5R.), while the Mantis, having arrived late, got to be the best navy that nobody else ever bothered to seriously challenge (and when they did- the Crane in the Colonies near the very end- it... wasn't pretty), have the best archers, and so forth.

Hopefully FFG doesn't make the same mistakes- so far, signs are good- they've been shown opportunistically raiding the physically weakest Great Clan, cutting deals for greater recognition from a Great Clan they can trust to make a scuzzy carp-slimed bargain, and otherwise earning the "pirate" tag that the Yoritomo occasionally try to disavow. Nobody in any story has been shown to be utterly dominant in any one arena- even the Scorpion political stranglehold is not complete. So let's hope FFG keeps up the good work to obviate the legitimate beefs with Mantis presentation in the AEG days.

And gives the Mantis Orochi for their nonhumans. ?

On 7/12/2018 at 12:43 PM, Saibot said:
  • (Volcanic) Trolls live in the mountains. Dragons live in the mountains. (Volcanic Trolls) have an association with fire. Dragons have an association with fire. Checks out to me.
  • With Zokujin in Scorpion I had to immediately think of lizard people conspiracy theories. Fitting that the Scorpion is allied with them.
  • Ningyo are tied to the Phoenix through Ofushikai's history.

If I might point out something.

The Scorpion in the old game held an ancient zokujin artifact.

The Oni's Eye.

On 7/14/2018 at 12:10 PM, Taki said:

Qft. But your pain is a trifle to me, I was a naga player.  We got robbed of our clan often

Just wished to say, that the only reason I do not fully consider myself a Naga player is because the closest I had to playing Naga was playing Dark Naga stuff. So, I suppose I could say that I was robbed of my clan before I evens tarted playing! lol.

But more on topic, I think the distribution makes perfect sense. They are doing the ancient civilizations. The only other creature I could see would be Ogres, but then they'd kind of have to get rid of Naga [Nezumi already had enough story time to be pretty locked in for Crab, and the 5 elemental races kinda are a package deal], so I am happy with how it went. As for the specifics of the spread, Crab, Uni, Crane, Lion [presuming Kitsu, but ya] all fit perfect. Phoenix works really well. I kinda think Dragon and Scorpion should have been swapped [dragons need the miners, scropion throwing big dumb derps as distactions fits], but it still works fine to me.

9 hours ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

Correct.
Past tense 'held'. ?

The Scorpion hold the Oni's Eye (as of the end of AEG's story line).

It was only temporarily in the possession of the Scorpion. It would have inevitably returned to its rightful owners.

Regardless, we're now back in the time period when all is right with the world and nobody's even aware the Kolat exist.

12 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

...and nobody's even aware the Kolat exist.

That goes for both LCG players and citizens of Rokugan. ?

With regard to volume of story, and assuming FFG never produce the amount of regular stories that AEG did, FFG need to trim a lot of fat from the Expanded Universe stories.
While I have no love for the Kolat, I did enjoy their stories. And I can appreciate their place in the old stories.
However, now with the reduced story-telling, I'd firmly place them in the 'No' pile when looking at 'From the old stories, is <insert theme here> critical to the telling of samurai drama in the new setting?'

14 minutes ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

That goes for both LCG players and citizens of Rokugan. ?

With regard to volume of story, and assuming FFG never produce the amount of regular stories that AEG did, FFG need to trim a lot of fat from the Expanded Universe stories.
While I have no love for the Kolat, I did enjoy their stories. And I can appreciate their place in the old stories.
However, now with the reduced story-telling, I'd firmly place them in the 'No' pile when looking at 'From the old stories, is <insert theme here> critical to the telling of samurai drama in the new setting?'

For me Kolat always worked better in the RPG where they made a great arching conspiracy that my Magistrate group could run afoul of and never be sure how far ranging their influence was.  

The Kolat agenda also makes a great secondary story that can be in the pocket for when the main story gets resolved or at least reaches a simmering point and needs to be left to stand for while so I'd hate to see them completely ignored.  But then I was always partial to them and am still disappointed that my fellow Mantis didn't turn full into the Kolat story when the opportunity was presented to us.