Jump to content
ViscerothSWG

Why is the k-turn all or nothing?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Lace Jetstreamer said:

This is very rude behaviour.  I have clearly stated many facts that support the argument of inconsistency.  Reported

You keep stating reasons that you want the maneuvers to act differently, but you haven't actually shown the current way to be illogical.  Wanting to change things is fine, but even if what you want to change it to makes sense, that doesn't automatically mean that the current way doesn't make sense.  I don't really see how pointing this out is any ruder than you essentially saying, "anyone who disagrees with me is irrational."

1 hour ago, ViscerothSWG said:

The direction of all blue, white, and most red non-straight maneuvers is always altered mid-stride on a bump. The only direction-changing maneuvers that are not directionally affected by a bump are k-turns, s-loops, and t-rolls (am I forgetting any? ...basically the turn-arounds).

Well, S-Loops and T-Rolls are affected the same way banks and turns are, and K-Turns are affected the same way straights are.

Regarding K-Turns, it really boils down to what is the maneuver that's being depicted.  You appear to view it as a drifting sort of maneuver, where the craft is continuously rotating the entire length of the maneuver.  I and the others countering this tend to view it as a straight lead-up ending in a 180 maneuver.  S-Loops, I view as just K-turns with a banked lead-up.

With T-Rolls, I could see the drift theory fitting a bit better, but the drifting, along with the turn, would make calculating the bump a bit more complex.  Personally, for the sake of gameplay, I think it's better to keep the rules simple than to add a complex formula for a single special case of a single maneuver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFG  want to reward good flying? Both for you and your opponent, if they guess your move and block it, kudos to them.

Your way still makes you get the 180 turn around no matter what you do. I like it the way it is, as too a lot of other players going by the comments. 

People using real life examples for a space miniatures game is funny to me. If you could explain to me how Twin Ion Engines work in space and how then that impacts manoeuvring, I am all ears.
If FFG say the you cant do a 180 degree turn because a Space Genie stops you...then that's why you cant do a 180 degree turn.

This is a game, not a real life representation of aerial/space combat.  
 

Edited by Archangelspiv
Because I read backwards and I couldn't believe what I was reading...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2018 at 1:06 PM, Lace Jetstreamer said:

Good flying is choosing a move that you can complete.  Bad flying is where you bump.  That is the entire point of this discussion.

Bad flying is not where you bump... There have been a multitude of fortressing lists where bumping has the exact outcome a player wants. It can also be where a player bumps their own ship to ensure they get shots on a target, not over fly it. I do not think you have considered all the options of bumping.

Am I going to be reported because I disagree with you?

Edited by Archangelspiv
forgot a word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

Bad flying is not where you bump... There have been a multitude of fortressing lists where bumping has the exact outcome a player wants. It can also be where a player bumps their own ship to ensure they get shots on a target, not over fly it. I do not think you have considered all the options of bumping.

This is one thing I have never liked about x wing. Bumping your own ship is not only risk free but an encouraged strategy. They need to change the rules so your own ships obstruct shots because if we are playing a 2d arena simulating 3d, but not really, why are your ships immune to friendly fire?  Or maybe you roll normal dice on attacker and the ship inbetween rolls against all hits too but not crits. Bumping is one thing in this game that is not treated equally depending on the ship you bump.

Appoligies if there is a rule like I described I won’t get into the rules until they drop the real rule book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

This is one thing I have never liked about x wing. Bumping your own ship is not only risk free but an encouraged strategy. They need to change the rules so your own ships obstruct shots because if we are playing a 2d arena simulating 3d, but not really, why are your ships immune to friendly fire?  Or maybe you roll normal dice on attacker and the ship inbetween rolls against all hits too but not crits. Bumping is one thing in this game that is not treated equally depending on the ship you bump.

Appoligies if there is a rule like I described I won’t get into the rules until they drop the real rule book.

You lose your action, which in a world with fewer passive mods can be critical.  If the not obstructing thing bugs you, just think of it as the two pilots coordinating their actions to avoid each other's shots.  The self-bump is a strategy that can help you greatly, but if you fail (or do it at a poor time) can ruin your day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jike said:

Bumping your own ship is not risk free - you lose your actions so if an enemy predicts your move it leaves you in a bad spot.

No idea if there are many mods in 2.0 yet but 1.0 had plenty of passer mods off another ship. There are also passive mods that don’t require actions. Spare me I lose my action so it’s risky. For one bumping is an advanced tactic so if you do it out in the open yeah you’re toast. A smart player, an experienced player, won’t be caught that easy. And like I said a mod passer or passive mod does negate the ONLY drawback to self bumping. It is basically a forced controllable micro move laterally. You adjust your bumping ship by degrees one way or the other, unless bumping off a straight then I do feel you goofed on that one. So losing actions again is a minimal loss if you want to reposition, if not you shouldn’t be bumping.

20 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

If the not obstructing thing bugs you, just think of it as the two pilots coordinating their actions to avoid each other's shots.  The self-bump is a strategy that can help you greatly, but if you fail (or do it at a poor time) can ruin your day.

Meh I can kinda see that I guess, still think friendly fire should be a thing. How many soldiers die anually from friendly fire? I can tell you the answer isn’t 0.

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...