rasmussen81

Two Base Sets and Looking for help with a Rebel List

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to Legion and I'm trying to prepare for a game against a buddy who doesn't have the game. I have two Base Sets and an AT-ST, so I'm trying to make a Rebel list for our 800-point game.

I'm struggling. I can't seem to make a decent list with only the troops from two base games. Is it possible or do I need to pick up other expansions? Seems strange that I wouldn't be able to field an 800-point Rebel force with access to two sets.

Thanks for your help!

If you just get Leia for another $12 you can create a very respectable 800-pt Army:

800-pt Army w/ Two Base sets (+Leia) (797/800)
Rebels  - Author: Gengis Jon

Luke Skywalker (160)
 - Force Push (10)
 - Force Reflexes (15)
= 185 total points

Leia Organa (90)

Rebel Troopers (40)
 - Targeting Scopes (6)
 - Concussion Grenades (5)
 - Z-6 Trooper (22)
 - Rebel Trooper (10)
= 83 total points

Rebel Troopers (40)
 - Targeting Scopes (6)
 - Concussion Grenades (5)
 - Z-6 Trooper (22)
 - Rebel Trooper (10)
= 83 total points

Rebel Troopers (40)
 - Targeting Scopes (6)
 - Z-6 Trooper (22)
 - Rebel Trooper (10)
= 78 total points

Rebel Troopers (40)
 - Targeting Scopes (6)
 - Z-6 Trooper (22)
 - Rebel Trooper (10)
= 78 total points

AT-RT (55)
 - Long-Range Comlink (10)
 - AT-RT Laser Cannon (35)
= 100 total points

AT-RT (55)
 - Long-Range Comlink (10)
 - AT-RT Laser Cannon (35)
= 100 total points

Commands: Son of Skywalker, Coordinated Bombardment, My Ally is the Force, No Time for Sorrows, Return of the Jedi, Somebody Has to Save Our Skins, Standing Orders

Edited by Gengis Jon

The rebels would need to field both Luke's from the box to get 800 points. Whereas the Empire can field an 800 point list (albeit using lots of upgrade cards) with two core sets. If you get pretty much any Rebel expansion that tickles your paintbrush, you can probably get them to 800 points. Double check on an online list builder before purchasing them though so you aren't disappointed.

14 hours ago, Gengis Jon said:

If you just get Leia for another $12 you can create a very respectable 800-pt Army:

Thanks for the pointer and for the list! Looks like a fun list to play with. A few questions:

Why did you decide to go with Z-6 Troopers for for all the trooper groups instead of any Ion Troopers? 

And why did you stick with the Laser Cannon for both AT-RT units instead of the other options?

Is it best to specialize your forces or diversify? And why is that, for whichever you recommend? 

8 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

The rebels would need to field both Luke's from the box to get 800 points. Whereas the Empire can field an 800 point list (albeit using lots of upgrade cards) with two core sets. If you get pretty much any Rebel expansion that tickles your paintbrush, you can probably get them to 800 points. Double check on an online list builder before purchasing them though so you aren't disappointed.

Good advice! Technically I wouldn't be allowed to field two Lukes, right? Because you can only have one of each specific unit. Sounds like I need to look over the units and see what looks fun. Leia would be fun (and my daughters would love it) but I'm bummed out by the quality of the model...it doesn't look anything like their favorite princess. It looks like Helga with a blaster, whoever that is.

2 hours ago, rasmussen81 said:

Why did you decide to go with Z-6 Troopers for for all the trooper groups instead of any Ion Troopers? 

And why did you stick with the Laser Cannon for both AT-RT units instead of the other options?

Is it best to specialize your forces or diversify? And why is that, for whichever you recommend? 

Quick caveat up front: I’m still very much in early learning mode myself with this game, so take everything I’m saying that grain of salt.

More than anything I was just offering an example of a viable two-core list, and one that I can vouch for from personal use. But yeah I’m not a huge fan of the Ion-shooters (mostly bc of the recover requirement.) Certainly, tho, people have been successful in using them to neutralize the AT-ST — just not my favorite approach. And I do love the fat rolls from the Gatling gun. More of a spread load between the two might be a wiser approach, I just haven’t tried it yet. 

I like the longer standoff range that comes with the laser canons on the RT. And its three dice aren’t bad (pierce 3 makes them a viable threat against the -ST. I’ve been wanting to experiment with the flame throwers but just haven’t had the chance yet. The RT’s chaingun seems like it straddles the middle ground between the two (shoots farther than  the flames, but does less damage, and shorter than the cannon, but does more), but I guess just like that greater reach.

I hope any of that helps.

Edited by Gengis Jon

On 7/13/2018 at 5:36 PM, rasmussen81 said:

Good advice! Technically I wouldn't be allowed to field two Lukes, right? Because you can only have one of each specific unit. Sounds like I need to look over the units and see what looks fun. Leia would be fun (and my daughters would love it) but I'm bummed out by the quality of the model...it doesn't look anything like their favorite princess. It looks like Helga with a blaster, whoever that is.

Correct. Which is why the rebels can't get to 800 points with just two core sets, but the Imperials can, Vader being worth more than Luke. Two core sets and one rebel add-on being what it takes.

Leia isn't sculpted that poorly, your kids certainly won't notice. Gamers have really weird standards for sculpting nowadays. The way we actually play games, you never look close enough for realistic facial sculpting to matter. On the other hand, they did put her in a not-Hoth outfit so I won't be buying her.

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

Leia isn't sculpted that poorly, your kids certainly won't notice. Gamers have really weird standards for sculpting nowadays. The way we actually play games, you never look close enough for realistic facial sculpting to matter. On the other hand, they did put her in a not-Hoth outfit so I won't be buying her.

Great to know! My board is all Endor, so she'll be perfect for my purpose and the girls will love having her in the battle.

5 hours ago, rasmussen81 said:

Great to know! My board is all Endor, so she'll be perfect for my purpose and the girls will love having her in the battle.

And isn't that what's more important, getting your kids excited to play? Think back to the original Kenner sculpts, especially the first several waves. They were basically generic human faces that could've been anyone. As kids, did we care? No.