RockSoldier

Playing X-Wing sitting down

it's hard to reach the center of the board sitting down.  I'm 6'3" with pretty long arms and I still stand up most of the time.

You can get around this a little by having each player move each other's ships as necessary depending on what side of the board they are on, but in my experience most games tend to be more focused more in the center.  If you play more casual games you can try playing with a smaller board space than the standard 3x3, or at least make it narrower so it's easier to reach the center.  Alternately, if you play with someone who has less back issues, you can ask them to move the ships for you when needed, as the only real interaction required is for each player to set their own dials, and one person to actually move all the ships.  It could get a bit messy trying to verbally coach through boost and barrel roll actions, although second edition will solve that issue.

37 minutes ago, RockSoldier said:

I have a very bad back and can't stand very long.  Is it possible to play X-Wing sitting down?  All videos I have watched have everyone standing.

Me too. A long day of X-Wing if I have to reach over the board, kills my back.

I ask my opponent to move my pieces if they're out of reach, and frequently sit down between moves. 

yup, absolutely. I have minor nerve damage in my left leg, after a long day at work it can sometimes be unbearable to stand, and after a week if it gets really agitated I can sometimes be in excruciating pain for the whole weekend. There have been some days I've done the whole day at work, gone and played 4-5 hours of x-wing after work and then almost not make it up the stairs at home due to this godforsaken nerve pain. So I sit down as much as I can if it's irritating me. luckily I've learned some stretches and riding my bike helps the blood flow and relieve the never pain so it's been pretty minor as of late. 

Most opponents should be fine to help you move your ships if they're on the other side of the board so I'd say you should be fine. You may need to stand up every now and then to get a good luck at things like firing arcs and whether a ship's move will make it bump or go through an obstacle but for the majority of the time you should be able to stay sitting. I've found the X-Wing community, whether in tournaments or just at a local store playing casual games, to be among the most helpful crowd in all of the games I've played.

8 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Sure, so long as you wear black robes that cover your face and speak with a condescending voice like the Emperor whenever you address your opponent. 

"Good, good. Now, take the 2 bank maneuver and move my TIE Defender into range one of your pitiful K-Wing. All is proceeding as I have foreseen."

00bf97d494a72701bd0e17db90340423.gif

Fake news, everyone knows a TIE Defender doesn't have any 1 or 2 speed maneuvers.

8 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Sure, so long as you wear black robes that cover your face and speak with a condescending voice like the Emperor whenever you address your opponent. 

"Good, good. Now, take the 2 bank maneuver and move my TIE Defender into range one of your pitiful K-Wing. All is proceeding as I have foreseen."

And when you roll 4 hits with your palp mobile against the enemy Luke with one HP at Range 1

ZNaSi12.gif

12 hours ago, AngryAlbatross said:

It is!  Just ask your opponent for help if your ships are on the other side of the board!  

This. Since the dial specifies a template and the template moves you exactly from your current position to the end position, there should be no issue with your opponent moving anything you can't reach, because it's not open to interpretation in any way. Barrel roll (where you can 'slide' it back or forwards) is the only exception, but even then, the instruction 'right/left, as far forwards/back as it will go' is generally what you're telling them anyway.

Idk if this matters to anyone else, but x wing looks so much cooler from a sitting down position, getting a side view of everything 

but it’s easier to play standing so I stand most the time. But I know I would be willing to help any opponent if they needed me to

It's possible but tough.  It is much easier to judge maneuvers and range and arc when looking straight down from above.  Tough to do sitting.  Best suggestion I have is get a higher seat, like a bar stool.  It gives a little better perspective.  You can sit a lot of the time though, like when the enemy is firing or when you are setting your dials.

But like others have said, just talk to your opponent at the start.  Most people will have no problem helping you out. 

I feel like this is only going to get easier with 2.0.  The only movements that are not concrete on where you end up in 1.0 are barrel rolls and talon rolls.  This will be much easier in 2.0, just have to say middle, front or back.

Edited by imrandy85

One of my friends played in a System Open a week or two after back surgery. At the start of each game he just mentioned his lack of mobility to his opponent and showed whereabouts he was able to reach to. After that point his opponent knew he had permission to move his ships and, from what I heard, it all went fine.

On 7/11/2018 at 11:26 AM, Herowannabe said:

Surely the K-Wing will arc dodge... I mean, all of them are PS8.

10 hours ago, Lightningclaw said:

Surely the K-Wing will arc dodge... I mean, all of them are PS8.

Force Lightning inflicts ion tokens...

Someone mentioned this a while ago; I do wonder how feasible it would be to get Ian McDiarmid as a guest judge for Worlds.

On 7/11/2018 at 2:41 PM, RockSoldier said:

I have a very bad back and can't stand very long.  Is it possible to play X-Wing sitting down?  All videos I have watched have everyone standing.

@RockSoldierWhen I'm playing X-wing, I have no choice but to sit.  I'm in a wheelchair.  The only problem I have is judging maneuvers that are on the other side of the board.  My opponents are willing to assist me with moving the ships I cannot reach, and I am grateful for that.

When it comes to tournaments I play in, TOs understand my situation, and we have agreed that I am allowed to be "static" -- staying at one table throughout the tournament, having my opponents come to me.  Even when I play in the North American Championship tournament during GenCon, I just look out for the devs, Alex Davy or Frank Brooks to let them know of my situation.  They are more than willing to assist.