Sign in to follow this  
Coyote Walks

Elements Unbound

I am not sure what to say about Web of Lies. I am immensely concerned.

On more positives notes, seeing a Tengu is glorious. Agasha Shunsen must have a pretty swag ability with those stats. It reads like some sort of search effect.

Edit: Taryu-Jiai is way better than most duels so far because Glory values are rarely that far apart and the options to manipulate them too scarce, so you might actually have some exciting duels, where both duelists are at most 2 points apart.

Edited by Saibot

Just now, Isawa Syd said:

The whole game is intensely boring 

Why are you still here? 

Most Duels aren't great right now, but not choosing the opponent would make them worst. However I would like to see more interrupt duels. 

Something like: 
Yojimbo. Duelist
Interrupt: If a character an opponent controls triggers an ability on a Courtier you control, duel it. If that character has -, you automatically win. If you win, cancel the effect. If you lose, dishonor this character. 

This way you kinda don't choose your target and it's more reactive. Or maybe: 

Event: You and your opponent each select a ready character they control and Duel. Any Duellist gets +1 for the Duel. Honor the winner, Bow the loser. 

Taryu-Jiai is kinda limited, but flavorful. 

Both of the covert creatures look a lot of fun. That Tengu is very powerful as first player.

Web of Lies does not seem great, but will be difficult to break as a stronghold. 

Can't wait to see the rest.

1 minute ago, Saibot said:

I am not sure what to say about Web of Lies. I am immensely concerned.

On more positives notes, seeing a Tengu is glorious. Agasha Shunsen must have a pretty swag ability with those stats. It reads like some sort of search effect.

Concerned about what ? It seems like a really farmable province until you have to bid 1-2, where it's just plain bad. Since late game tend to bid low, it's not even good under the stronghold and I don't see what else it can replace. 

I could see it in an agressive Scorpion, preventing breaks on it's own. But Public Forum is more consistent for this. Maybe if we get a Keeper role I'll come back to it. 

Just now, HamHamJ2 said:

I think Web of Lies actually just says "10 Strength Stronghold Province", right?

And exactly that has me concerned. It is like the designers expect Scorpion to usually be defeated by being dishonored out, yet they are arguably among the hardest to.

1 minute ago, Vutall said:

I like the duel a lot, downside is that it is a dead card sometimes though, but that's not bad.

I don't know.  I think almost everyone is running Cloud The Mind, so there are shugenja out there.  Also a lot of people without attachment hate run mystics so easy targets abound.

Just now, Tomello said:

I don't know.  I think almost everyone is running Cloud The Mind, so there are shugenja out there.  Also a lot of people without attachment hate run mystics so easy targets abound.

That duel seems like a good anti-CtM meta choice ^^ Trigerring any ring is so good. 

Just now, Soshi Saibankan said:

Yeah but that late game I rarely can afford to bid 5. Honestly unless paired with Duty I don't think it's any good. 

I suppose a difference of experience. It may be dependent on the exact clans involved too.

Just now, Soshi Saibankan said:

Yeah but that late game I rarely can afford to bid 5. Honestly unless paired with Duty I don't think it's any good. 

I wouldn't tilt at that windmill....I tried talking about an adjacent issue in another thread.  People seem to think that Scorpion can always bid 5 and have enough fate to win four conflicts per turn (breaking two provinces) AND dishonor their opponent out on the first turn. :P jk

I think the holding is clever but farmable in a non-stronghold province and late game maybe 2.  It makes playing Maze of Illusion (or a duel) a necessity which could make it better.

13 minutes ago, Saibot said:

Edit: Taryu-Jiai is way better than most duels so far because Glory values are rarely that far apart and the options to manipulate them too scarce, so you might actually have some exciting duels, where both duelists are at most 2 points apart.

I don’t know about that. Phoenix HQ will of course double the glory value, and it’ll still be part of the conflict afterwards. There’s not much stuff out there to help you catch up.

Guess I’d prefer to pick my receiver for the Duel just to make sure it’s not going to the person least able to defend themselves, but that’s an issue with duels generally.

I liked the idea of the Yojimbo intercept. Perhaps honour transfer should have been calculated on the difference in skills? So you can get some honour if you end up standing up to a big guy, and lose it if you keep picking on easy targets.

I dunno. That part of the game just feels very underdeveloped.

4 minutes ago, Ersatz Nihilist said:

I don’t know about that. Phoenix HQ will of course double the glory value, and it’ll still be part of the conflict afterwards. There’s not much stuff out there to help you catch up.

Guess I’d prefer to pick my receiver for the Duel just to make sure it’s not going to the person least able to defend themselves, but that’s an issue with duels generally.

I liked the idea of the Yojimbo intercept. Perhaps honour transfer should have been calculated on the difference in skills? So you can get some honour if you end up standing up to a big guy, and lose it if you keep picking on easy targets.

I dunno. That part of the game just feels very underdeveloped.

I think the basic idea of duels is perfectly sound. However, in its current state I agree with you. Duels are mainly relatively boring because bullying is too easy and so far we have only a bare handful of cards that interact with duels (and that is scraping the very bottom of the barrel by counting Contingency Plan and Bayushi Manipulator). Once we have more cards like Insult to Injury, things should become way more interesting. Unfortunately, the game is very broad and FFG can only develop so many themes and gameplay aspects at once.

Edited by Saibot