Sign in to follow this  
Crit Happens

100 pt. Whisper

After about 3 years of playing in an anti-Whisper meta, TIE Phantom enthusiasts across the globe are enjoying a Renaissance. While most X wing players are yearning for 2.0 to be released, we are enjoying the glory days of the end of 1.0. This is a last hurrah for those of us that like to throw 4 (or 5) double modified red dice, followed by 4 double modified green dice.

Until the release of Krennic, phantom players had either decided to put Whisper and Echo on the shelf, or punish themselves with playing hard counters in nearly every game. But now that Krennic is here, Whisper got that little (big) buff that she needed, and those enthusiasts that punished themselves for years are being rewarded for it. 

I am one of those unabashed TIE Phantom enthusiasts who mostly never gave up the dream, and this is the squad that I have settled into post wave 14:

100 pt. Whisper

Major Vermeil — TIE Reaper 26
Adaptability 0
Emperor Palpatine 8
Lightweight Frame 2
Advanced Ailerons 0
Ship Total: 36

"Whisper" — TIE Phantom 32
Veteran Instincts 1
Advanced Sensors 3
Director Krennic 5
Advanced Cloaking Device 4
Ship Total: 45

Scimitar Squadron Pilot — TIE Bomber 16
Kylo Ren 3
Courier Droid 0
TIE Shuttle 0

Ship Total: 19

I finally have a Palp carrier that can contribute consistent offense, run away when necessary, and strip opponents actions. Whisper is immune to being blocked without actions or shots, and Kylo crew gives me a tool against higher PS. 

Most people experience a specific meta/squad that is the perfect fit for them, and this is certainly it for me. Long live wave 14!

Edited by Crit Happens

5 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

And then you run into Ghost/Fenn or Nym/Randa, Whisper melts, and you're hosed.

I handled a PS10 Nym/Assaj quite well last night, beating it twice against a world class player. Oh, and he had proton bombs...

Its pretty easy to discredit something by pointing out a super hard counter, but the game does need to be played. Those tough matchups are very winnable with a solid game plan. 

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

My point is more that 100 point anything that doesn't have regen is probably a bad idea, for the exact reason that hard counters do exist and you will run into them.

super hard counters, like Fenn/Ghost are played by mostly average or just straight up bad players. If you have a specialized list and know it in and out, come up with a solid game plan, it may be a solid battle, but you can still beat the whole range of meta and non-meta lists.

could I take a phantom and nail a fenn/ghost to the wall? nope. Could Crit? yes, absolutely.

during Kanan/Biggs days I beat my fair share using A-wings. but I know those ships better than most and have solid plans on how to deal with that kind of stuff. don't judge so quickly. 

"Echo" (30)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Director Krennic (5)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

"Quickdraw" (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced Optics (2)
Special Ops Training (0)

Total: 77

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

this is as far as I've gotten with my Echo list (that I'm not bringing tonight)... base reaper with intel is what I'm thinking to fill in the remaining points. 

Edited by Wiredin

4 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

My point is more that 100 point anything that doesn't have regen is probably a bad idea, for the exact reason that hard counters do exist and you will run into them.

I've also already mentioned two ways that I deal with hard counters:

1. teching against them (Kylo crew, palpatine, advanced sensors)

2. game plan. I do very focused training against the hard-counters. I put it on the table at home, and move through all possibilities, worst case scenarios, deployments, obstacle placement, win conditions. This isn't something that many players do, but it's how you win those games.