Sign in to follow this  
MattShadowlord

The Return of VADER!

4 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Now I'm just going to imagine that any hits that Vader can't deflect on his own is him using the force to drag a royal guard to be his body shield. 

You meant this, right? ;)
stormtrooper-comics-16.jpg

Also, Anger + Implacable = Fun :)

Edited by Shanturin

Biggest thing for me I think will be replacing Force Choke with Anger on my lists.

Royal Guards marching with Vader as opposed to the Snowtroopers I've been using does make a lot of sense. I might try it out!

Yeah those RG's are scary for rebels.

They counter Luke, the only reason he beats Vader's face in is the double-attack from any angle surprise-attack. He cant do that against Vader AND the RG.

At minimum they keep Vader full hp until he starts swinging. Which is honestly all he needed to be a problem. Guardian2....you better roll a lot of crits against Vader or you basically arent touching him. Nevermind Reflect too.

I guess most Rebels would shoot down the royal guard first. Their point to wound ratio is quite ok, but not good. Ranged weapons with pierce are their weak spot.

Fleet Troopers with that pierce-shotgun love themselves some Royal Guard.

In a match vs Veers/3 Bikes/6 DLT it might also proove to be difficult to get those guys to their target vs all this firepower.

I think two or three Royal Guard with Vader will really rock with "new ways to motivate them", though.

Two units move 3 times 6 for 18 imch in total and then get a free attack from their own card ability. They tie down and damage two shooty units, which reduces the pressure when Vader moves up with the third unit.

35 minutes ago, M.Mustermann said:

I guess most Rebels would shoot down the royal guard first. Their point to wound ratio is quite ok, but not good. Ranged weapons with pierce are their weak spot.

Probably worth taking the 4th guy that makes them immune to Pierce then, eh? ?

37 minutes ago, M.Mustermann said:

I think two or three Royal Guard with Vader will really rock with "new ways to motivate them", though. 

... huh. A unit that can actually use new ways to motivate them efficiently. That's nice.

1 minute ago, LunarSol said:

Probably worth taking the 4th guy that makes them immune to Pierce then, eh? ?

It looks like it only takes effect in melee, though.

Immune pierce is melee, it states when defending against a melee attack gain immune: pierce.

But the only things with ranged pierce is commanders and Fleet Trooper's shotgun, which also have short ranged weapons. Immune: Pierce in melee is literally just a middle finger to the two lightsaber guys (and Palp technically) right now, but thats huge since they are all VERY expensive and sorta depend on that pierce to guarantee the kill.

They arent any harder than troopers to mow down via guns, technically. Its the fact that you HAVE to target them before Vader is the potential threat, because unless you crit or cause a TON of hits against Vader they'll just Guardian it up anyway. This drastically improves his survival odds before he gets a dodge token.

Not to mention they will hit like a freaking truck if they reach you. A full squad is rolling 5black3red, thats a LOT of dice for not involving white dice. Even w/o surges thats a lot, and remember Aim works in melee.

Edited by Vineheart01

6 hours ago, M.Mustermann said:

I guess most Rebels would shoot down the royal guard first. Their point to wound ratio is quite ok, but not good. Ranged weapons with pierce are their weak spot

That's still okay. Whether they're using Guardian or getting the Rebel player to actually target them, if they're preventing you from using actions to hurt Vader, they're doing their job.

In terms of killing RG’s fast, It’s still better to shoot Vader and let them roll Gaurdian saves, rather than shooting the red shirts and letting them gain cover from suppression...

They have a courage value of 2 though so they wont be suppressed for the first couple of shots.

However i'd still take the cover as opposed to deal with deflect. I swear to god every time Vader or Luke has a dodge token and uses it he suddenly rolled SOLID SURGES

45 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

They have a courage value of 2 though so they wont be suppressed for the first couple of shots.

A trooper unit improves it's cover by 1 if it has one or more suppression tokens ;)

2 minutes ago, Shanturin said:

A trooper unit improves it's cover by 1 if it has one or more suppression tokens ;)

ok....that makes no sense. Suppression tokens do nothing until they hit the courage value, yet they still grant the static cover?

One Suppression token is all it takes to grant cover.   There is no additional cover granted from having suppression tokens beyond that.    The way I think about it is, they've just been shot at, they know they've been shot at and so they're all doing what they can to duck/cover/zigzag to prevent getting shot

Reread the rules nad yeah youre right.

That seriously makes me feel like Vader's courage of - is actually a negative thing. He CANT get suppression, its not that he has no max he flatout cant get them. Which means he never gets random cover+1, and that could DRASTICALLY save his butt.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:28 PM, Vineheart01 said:

Immune pierce is melee, it states when defending against a melee attack gain immune: pierce.

Aww, I wanted to see some Rebels pump a shot gun and fire only for a Royal Guard to jump out and spin his staff deflecting the shot. 

On 7/13/2018 at 10:26 AM, Vineheart01 said:

Reread the rules nad yeah youre right.

That seriously makes me feel like Vader's courage of - is actually a negative thing. He CANT get suppression, its not that he has no max he flatout cant get them. Which means he never gets random cover+1, and that could DRASTICALLY save his butt.

It is, somewhat.

Of course it shouldn't be difficult to find cover for Vader. He isn't slowed by terrain whatsoever so there isn't any penalty for hugging cover.

And there is future force upgrades to consider. I wouldn't be surprised to see a card come out that is something like "Force Barrier: Free Action: Exhaust. Gain cover 2."