BrobaFett

Armada is Dead should die.

I agree overall with your post. On the other side, I do think that if newcomers are not impressed by what they see that should be a clarion call to FFG. You should not be able to expect a gaming community to trundle along or grow when you do literally nothing to support it.

If I ran an organization and we had a place for our clients to talk, and they did en masse, I would consider that a gold mine of information. The fact they seem oblivious is f***ing insane.

People should be aware that FFG does nothing for this community and much of the success of the game is due to people volunteering their time and energy. Frankly it should turn a lot of fair weather gamers away, but hopefully the real die hards see the game and community for what it is.

1 hour ago, TheBigLev said:

I agree overall with your post. On the other side, I do think that if newcomers are not impressed by what they see that should be a clarion call to FFG. You should not be able to expect a gaming community to trundle along or grow when you do literally nothing to support it.

If I ran an organization and we had a place for our clients to talk, and they did en masse, I would consider that a gold mine of information. The fact they seem oblivious is f***ing insane.

People should be aware that FFG does nothing for this community and much of the success of the game is due to people volunteering their time and energy. Frankly it should turn a lot of fair weather gamers away, but hopefully the real die hards see the game and community for what it is.

Don't disagree with you. So go post *that* topic not another inane Armada is Dead thread.

I agree.  Armada has never been dead to me and nor will it ever be.  While I agree that it would be nice for FFG to give us some articles and new expansions, they are at least still doing the OP stuff.  I have collected Armada since it came out, but never really played except with my family.  Without going into my life story, basically the OT was something that my brother and I watch with my dad over and over growing up, so it means a lot to me.  My brother now lives in LA while the rest of us live in Queensland Australia.  He would come for visits and we would have epic Armada days.  In the last year, I started playing with my Dad, getting my Brother to help him with lists, to help us all feel just a bit closer.  It works great and it is a lot of fun and it gives us something to feel connected with even though he is the other side of the world.  To me, this game will never be dead and while my Dad is able we will keep playing.

In my Brothers most recent visit, they tried to convince me to find a local group.  Through my wife's persistence I did just that and I have been having a blast ever since.  I am almost getting 1 - 2 games in a week at a store and then I have the games with my Dad.  My local store runs monthly Tournaments so that combined with the other games I am getting at least 8 games a month and that is in Queensland.  If we can do it, you can too :)

Finally, there is so much content online like YouTube, podcasts and blogs with regular content.  This is entertaining in its own right.  I have been a subscriber of Crabbok's for a long time now and always enjoy watching his videos.  MOTF are great and Aussies too, so bonus and they have great content.  For podcasts I started with Renegade Fleet Command a local group and just recently started listening to Comms Noise from the UK and have really been enjoying those.  Finally, the Cannot Get your ship out blog, entertaining read for your lunch break.

TLDR: For me Armada will never be dead even when FFG eventually releases the final expansion.  We have a wonderful worldwide community for a fantastic game, people should focus on that.

I just spent 5 days a Dice Tower Con, a convention where people spend pretty much the whole time playing board games.  

I saw a TON of out of print games being played!  Starcraft, Forbidden Stars, Queen's Gambit....   even IF a game eventually becomes unsupported--- it still never dies.  Heck people still play Decipher card games!   Armada will ALWAYS be a part of my life.  Always.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

If you have been around the forums you know the joking cries of "Armada is Dead" is just that, a joke. It's been around for just about as long as I've been on the forums. We joke that Armada is Dead because we love it, ironically, and despite the fact that we have always been somewhat of a redhead stepchild we have had such an alive community that the lack of support, articles, product, or whatever else got thrown our way just didn't matter all that much. To an outsider, or someone looking at FFG's participation bar graph, we might seem small- but the reality was that for a wargaming community we are incredibly active all across the world. Not in every city, but for most people across the world a game of Armada was way more practical to find than many of the other dozens of smaller/rarer war games.

Problem is, the joke isn't funny any more. We have been without new product for long enough that now every other time someone says Armada is Dead they aren't really joking. And worse, the fact that it can thinly veil as a joke gives a pass to people who aren't joking to post it as clickbait for their negativity. I can't particularly blame people for being upset. Or for venting on the primary conversation pit for this game about their frustration. But a community can't run on salt. And if Armada got by because of it's community before, then we can't particularly afford to lose that now- even as people who care(d) deeply about the game have already stepped away entirely or cut back on participation here because of the rampant and unavoidable negativity.

I want to suggest, that for the time being, we stop with the Armada is dead jokes. We stop saying Armada is Dead seriously too, and trying to disguise it as a joke. I think it's time we be real, and if we want to talk about the situation we are in, what it means for the future of the game, whatever, to do it without resorting to a dated and not-funny-anymore cliche. I don't want to downplay the frustration because I am there with many of you. But we do need to remember that this forum is oftentimes the first place someone interested in the game looks to check out what the community is like. If all they are clickbait rageposts then what does that say about us? What does it say to the new guy we want to get to try the game out?

I'm a dude on the internet, you don't need to listen to me. But I'm done with Armada is Dead and I hope some of you will agree.

Agreed with pretty much everything. I've definitely heard from people considering joining the forum community that they took a look, decided it was toxic, and left. Can't say I blame them. That's not to say that people can't constructively criticize FFG (and trust me, I've done so myself) but the rage posts achieve basically nothing. If FFG staff check the forums (they do) then they know we're not too happy right now. We don't need rage-out #3497 to finally convince them of that.

When someone  Armada Is Dead Sh*tposts, they're giving the forum AIDS. Don't give the forum AIDS.

Edited by Snipafist

I agree wholeheartedly.  Someone at my FLGS started telling new players that FFG posted on the forums that Armada is cancelled, and refuses to listen to reason.  Perhaps preventing these threads form being everywhere will help, and if people need topics to talk about, they can be provided.  Card of the day / week, Squadron theory crafting, and fighting about why commanders / ships are bad are all infinitely more interesting than Armada is dead threads.  so many valuable things to talk about, but most of the active threads re some variant of armada is dead right now.

I just eish they would anniunce their plans for Armada. For if there is none, I could finally invest into some Mel's models. But until there is a chance of "official" Dreadnoughts I don't want to build custom ones :)

1 hour ago, Admiral Calkins said:

Well, because of you, I switched out my Kuat for an ISD-II in my Sloane list... that's got to count for something. 😉

Ruins the comedy so I discounted it

Well, considering that my local game store doesnt have armada setup days, it IS dead to me. If I had someone to actually play with, Id go out and BUY the starter set right now. (I only collect random ships to throw on shelf currently)

9 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

the primary conversation pit for this game

That might be the best description of the current state of the forums that I've seen!

6 hours ago, webv said:

What is dead may never die...

I'm in the middle of 4 straight Saturdays with store champs in my area.

Yeah, similar! Had a Store Champ last week, got a Q2 kit this week, a Store Champ next week, missing a Q2 kit the week after and a Store Champ the week after that cos I'm away, get a week off tournaments (as far as I know), then another Store Champ, then UK Nationals. And on top of that 1-2 games during the week pretty much every week. Armada has a LOT going on!

Just to say I have managed to get in 4 games in the last week! And should get in more next week. If I was not throwing a party for some football game on Sunday I would be at the SC in Carrolton. For all the complaining I have to say I do get a lot of games in! 

Posted (edited)

If this forum comes up in conversation 8 out of 10 times its because someone complains about all the complaints here. (Insert Inception joke here)

The chorus was deafening even before I had opened my Profundity.
Like everyone had played the wave TO DEATH before I put certain cards from it on the table.
To be honest coming here some days makes me want to play Armada less, so I appreciate what you said Broba. A lot.

With regards, Doppel

Edited by Doppelganger

I broke a few weeks or months ago now  I don't know I kind of lost track.

I check for news, but am not nearly as active on the forums. I still try to make my local bi-monthly tourneys and practice with my buddy on TTS weekly but haven' done any of that in a bit. 

They lost me and its too late for me to get excited again.