AgniAvis72

Harry Potter Campaign Ideas?

Hey everyone! I know most of you don't have the Harry Potter Theme by @GM Chris yet but I feel like for those who do maybe someone can help me. Does anyone have any ideas on a Harry Potter Campaign idea? Specifically how do you or would you run a game as students in Hogwarts (which lets be real most people want to do). Like you are students how do you justify having proficiency die in anything as a first year muggle-born student at hogwarts. How would you justify increasing certain abilities/talents if the whole point is to spend a year to get 1 MAAYBE 2 ranks of proficiency in one topic after  a school year?

One Idea I had was running it as a 7 shot with each session being a year in hogwarts (to justify leveling up/getting XP) and during each session/year have a lot of time jumps in-between adventures. But again, how  do that when an investigation or even a combat would probably take one session as a whole?

Please help!

Edited by AgniAvis72

I actually really like your idea of having a campaign that takes place once the 7 years at school. Instead of limiting yourself to 1 session per year, i would break up each year into 3-4 sessions that don't reward experience. Then give the players a huge amount of experience at the"end of the year." So each year has a few adventures, they spend their experience in what they learned and move on to the next year. 

The Dice for Brains podcast is doing a "Fantastic Beasts in the Wizarding World" for their season 7 run using Genesys.  I just listened to character creation and started episode 1 this morning.  

Basically, there are 3 wizards going to northern Florida swamps looking for a beast.  Pretty kewl concept.  And they do a really good job in a unique way sometimes when spending the advantages, threats, despair, triumphs, and story points.   It's a good listen and family friendly.

Z