Sign in to follow this  
BlindSamurai13

Preview article of the L5R RPG Beginner Game

One good thing is that we've got confirmation that all seven of the Great Clans will have a pre-gen available.

Still curious to see if they'll offer a free follow-up adventure much like they've done with all four of the Star Wars beginner boxes.  I'd hope so, as each of those follow-up adventures have generally been a fun experience and is a good way to help new GMs get a better hang on running games in that system.

7 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

One good thing is that we've got confirmation that all seven of the Great Clans will have a pre-gen available.

Still curious to see if they'll offer a free follow-up adventure much like they've done with all four of the Star Wars beginner boxes.  I'd hope so, as each of those follow-up adventures have generally been a fun experience and is a good way to help new GMs get a better hang on running games in that system.

The Game Master's Kit comes with an adventure as well, Slow Tide Harbor 

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/legend-of-the-five-rings-roleplaying-game/products/legend-five-rings-roleplaying-game-gm-kit/

Beginning the RPG with a Topaz Championship in Tsuma reminds me of Robert Denton’s In Defiance of Heaven campaign. I believe he posted write ups of a bunch of his sessions on the old AEG forums. 

44 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

At the end of the article, they state there will be a free follow up adventure.

1. Dang, forcing the players to start the game by executing an incompetent peasant. That's harsh. 

<.< >.>

What?

2. I'm glad there will be additional representation for the remaining clans. Hopefully with the same excellent design and look of the four they deigned to provide with the starter box. I still think I'm interested in purchasing only the PDF of the adventure, if made available. I'm definitely in for the core rulebook and the GM kit, so other than the adventure, I don't see any value for me in the full beginner's box.

30 minutes ago, Kakita Onimaru said:

It was pointed out to me that by looking at the character sheet you can tell that the complicated "each skill gets its own ring approach" has bee scrapped, which I am happy about. 

Not necessarily. They may have not included it in the beginner game to keep it simple for new players. The Star Wars beginner games did things similar, consolidating some skills and glossing over some mechanics. The full rulebook may still have that mechanic in place.

1 hour ago, Kakita Onimaru said:

It was pointed out to me that by looking at the character sheet you can tell that the complicated "each skill gets its own ring approach" has bee scrapped, which I am happy about. 

The Approaches are still in there:

Together, you and the other players will have to figure out the best approach to solving the situation. The choice is only limited by their creativity! Based on what you decide, the Game Master then determines what kind of approach and skill your characters are using. Perhaps you volunteer to share their room in order to diffuse the situation. The Game Master decides trying to control the conversation means this is a Courtesy check, and the logical and grounded solution means an Earth approach is appropriate.

It is safe to say that the Approach/Skill system stayed the same from the Beta.

Also, LOL for the players making the courtier with Earth 1 roll a Courtesy (Earth) Skill Check. What a group of pricks ?!

Edited by AtoMaki

11 hours ago, vilainn6 said:

So who want to guest about the last 3 characters. A crab bushi, a scorpion courtier and a unicorn shugenja perhaps?

I'm hoping for a Scorpion bushi, a Unicorn shinobi, and a Crab courtier, just to keep things interesting.

13 hours ago, vilainn6 said:

So who want to guest about the last 3 characters. A crab bushi, a scorpion courtier and a unicorn shugenja perhaps?

2 hours ago, DanGers said:

I'm hoping for a Scorpion bushi, a Unicorn shinobi, and a Crab courtier, just to keep things interesting.

Crab (Hiruma) scout, Scorpion shinobi, and Unicorn Battle Maiden. 

16 hours ago, vilainn6 said:

Hoping they go a little less stereotyping, to exemplify just how different the same general school type can be.

Crab Kuni Shugenja, Unicorn Ide Courtier, Scorpion Bayushi Bushi.

In my own opinion, I'd note that the Battle-Maidens are also pretty darn iconic, and a Yogo shuggie would provide a great contrast to the straightlaced priestess.

I am certainly not noting this just because Kobo Ichi-Kai-practicing 'courtiers' are one of my favourite aspects of the Crab, if that's what you were wondering.

I think Crab would be either Kuni shuggie, or Hida/Hiruma bushi. 

Unless Kaiu is a school already in the core :D

Scorpion... either Soshi, Yogo or Bayushi.

For Unicorn, I can see any of the bushi schools show up actually, and an Ide could be an interesting courtier school perhaps?

8 hours ago, narukagami said:

For Unicorn I feel like a Shugenja character would be pretty likely considering they just had a plotline revolving around meishodo in the LCG.

I feel like meishodo is unlikely because it is too complicated for a beginners' game. Also, a Battle Maiden would fit better with FFG's "woman push". 

For the extra pre-gens, my thoughts are

Crab = Kuni Shugenja, just for the stark contrast to the more prim/proper Phoenix Shugenja.
Scorpion = Bayushi Courtier, though Shinobi is also a possible option.
Unicorn = Utaku Battle Maiden, again to contrast the Lion Bushi.

3 hours ago, Horvagab said:

Hm.... I think Scorp will be shinobi, and Unicorn might actually be Moto, for more of a contrast?

Far as I can recall, the Moto weren't part of the initial story/plot arc of L5R, being introduced later (or at least becoming prominent later) after the Shinjo clan were revealed to have been 'corrupted' by the Kolat.

Since this is meant to introduce new players to the Rokugan setting, I'm not sure they'd want to have a character type that is essentially an uncouth Mongol barbarian as one of the example characters.