Ken on Cape

Emperor Palpatine expansion announced.

18 minutes ago, AintNoPoser said:

Looks like his 1 pip command card let's him attack multiple times, but at a cost. Yet you can only have 1 attack action...

Attack vs Attack Action.  Just like Luke can double tap.  You only get one attack action, but you can have multiple attacks. 

Just now, themightyhedgehog said:

Attack vs Attack Action.  Just like Luke can double tap.  You only get one attack action, but you can have multiple attacks. 

It's the same. Luke's ability allows him to in 1 whole action. The way Palpatine's card reads makes it sound like he get's multiple attack actions. 

It's things like this that can make the game confusing. 

1 minute ago, AintNoPoser said:

Also can anyone explain the ignoring the rank for the guards? Are they in your army for free or just allows you to "add and extra?"

You can only take 2 special forces so I assume if you take palp then if you bring a royal guard it doesn't count for 1 of the 2?

2 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

You can only take 2 special forces so I assume if you take palp then if you bring a royal guard it doesn't count for 1 of the 2?

You can take 3 special forces...so maybe able to take 4? But where are you going to fit that many special forces or other units in 800 points when 1/4 of them are already spent? 

4 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

That's how I understood it on my first quick glance. Take the Emperor to the field, get 1 free bodyguard slot that doesn't count on the SF limit.

Just now, OccasionallyCorrect said:

Does it still count for the point limit?  Or are they literally a free set of guards?

If they are free, Rebel players would say that's broken. But when you look at the point cost it makes sense. I have 2 of the most expensive commanders in the game, unlike Rebels who have a bunch of cheap units. 

Just now, AintNoPoser said:

If they are free, Rebel players would say that's broken. But when you look at the point cost it makes sense. I have 2 of the most expensive commanders in the game, unlike Rebels who have a bunch of cheap units. 

It's hard to read that whole text, but I think you get a base unit for free.

3 minutes ago, OccasionallyCorrect said:

Does it still count for the point limit?  Or are they literally a free set of guards?

It just says you can ignore the rank of the unit not the point cost.

1 minute ago, OccasionallyCorrect said:

It's hard to read that whole text, but I think you get a base unit for free.

That would make sense because you can issue an order to them every round if they are range 1-2. Would make Palpatine worth the point cost

2 minutes ago, spudmonkey said:

Palpatine?  Really FFG?

Come on, he's got better **** to do than leading a few squads of stormtroopers in direct action.  

I'd go so far as to say that he's never been actually on a battlefield during combat.

I have this same feeling, I thought that Palpatine would never be in Legion (or maybe in the future when there are no other commanders to add) as it doesn't make much sense to have him in the middle of a battlefield. I'm a bit dissappointed with this, but can't say that I dislike getting more stuff for the game

2 minutes ago, spudmonkey said:

Palpatine?  Really FFG?

Come on, he's got better **** to do than leading a few squads of stormtroopers in direct action.  

I'd go so far as to say that he's never been actually on a battlefield during combat.

One of my first thoughts as well. I don't want all the big guys running around, on both sides. That's like a WW2 skirmish game with Rommel and Montgomery leading a platoon (or Stalin and Hirohito). :)

As I already want to proxy stuff I really need to talk with my fellow gamers more now. Like, proxying an Inquisitor as Vader is probably okay, but how about then stepping up and proxying the Vader figure as Palpatine... *sigh*

1 minute ago, L_A_D said:

One of my first thoughts as well. I don't want all the big guys running around, on both sides. That's like a WW2 skirmish game with Rommel and Montgomery leading a platoon (or Stalin and Hirohito). :)

As I already want to proxy stuff I really need to talk with my fellow gamers more now. Like, proxying an Inquisitor as Vader is probably okay, but how about then stepping up and proxying the Vader figure as Palpatine... *sigh*

Good comparision ... and ... Palpatine on an Endor/Forrest-Base ... : NO

13 minutes ago, spudmonkey said:

Palpatine?  Really FFG?

8 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

I have this same feeling, I thought that Palpatine would never be in Legion (or maybe in the future when there are no other commanders to add) as it doesn't make much sense to have him in the middle of a battlefield. I'm a bit dissappointed with this, but can't say that I dislike getting more stuff for the game

Well, there was this book by Kemp called Lords of the Sith where this would be really fun to play.

I won't say more than that but it fits with Palpatine and Vader "running around" together.

29 minutes ago, AintNoPoser said:

It's the same. Luke's ability allows him to in 1 whole action. The way Palpatine's card reads makes it sound like he get's multiple attack actions. 

It's things like this that can make the game confusing. 

Very very common mistake. And I agree it can be confusing because people tend to skim read and missing a single word is easy.

You are only allowed 1 attack action per activation. You can perform as many attacks (note that "action" is missing) as your abilities allow. Luke's ability is contingent on him performing an attack action (as that is currently the only way he gets and attack ) in the first place before getting that additional attack. Palpatine's ability just gives him as many attacks as he would like, up to his wound limit. Palp doesn't have to start with an attack action.

18 minutes ago, spudmonkey said:

Palpatine?  Really FFG?

Use an alt mini of Palpatine in swimming trunks and sunglasses so it looks like the Rebels just keep attacking him on his vacation day.