Ken on Cape

Emperor Palpatine expansion announced.

11 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

I have this same feeling, I thought that Palpatine would never be in Legion (or maybe in the future when there are no other commanders to add) as it doesn't make much sense to have him in the middle of a battlefield. I'm a bit dissappointed with this, but can't say that I dislike getting more stuff for the game

Yeah. Thematically i very much doubt you would find Palp  on an actual battlefield. But it was kind of a given he would be in the game imo.  I didn't think we would get him this early though. I would have expected Tarkin first.

2 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

I have this same feeling, I thought that Palpatine would never be in Legion (or maybe in the future when there are no other commanders to add) as it doesn't make much sense to have him in the middle of a battlefield. I'm a bit dissappointed with this, but can't say that I dislike getting more stuff for the game

He was included in Imperial Assault and so I assumed it was just a matter of time before they included him into Legion. Hopefully we get Obi Wan Kenobi or Yoda as another force user for the game. Although chances are we will get another out of place character and FFG will give us Ahsoka Tano instead.

Of course making him look like "old man" Palpatine is odd. He had an action type pose for Imperial Assault. He looks like he should have a card titled "Anyone Remember Where I Parked My Shuttlecraft?"

I would like to see Lando Calrissian with a small squad of wing guards or Chewbacca with a small squad of wookies.

In the core set manual they did mention Droids. I hope to see an article showing that they are coming to Legion sometime soon.

1 minute ago, The Black Man said:

Well, there was this book by Kemp called Lords of the Sith where this would be really fun to play.

I won't say more than that but it fits with Palpatine and Vader "running around" together.

I saw that book and wanted to read it but still I couldn't get it in spanish (I tried reading some books in english but that way I miss some points of the story as I'm not an expert with this language)

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The Black Man said:

Well, there was this book by Kemp called Lords of the Sith where this would be really fun to play.

I won't say more than that but it fits with Palpatine and Vader "running around" together.

I've read the book, it's been a few years so forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't recall Palpatine ever performing direct action, only directing Vader to do things from the bridge of the ship and then the escape craft.  

The idea of him leading troops in Legion is against his whole Motif, sure he's a Sith Lord and totally capable on the battlefield, but his whole thing is hiding that fact and working from the shadows, he never revealed himself to be a Sith after founding the Empire, Luke only knew about it from Obi-wan.

Edited by spudmonkey

40 minutes ago, AintNoPoser said:

You can take 3 special forces...so maybe able to take 4? But where are you going to fit that many special forces or other units in 800 points when 1/4 of them are already spent? 

My mistake. However you can easily fit max if you take 2 man heavy weapons Scouts. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, spudmonkey said:

I've read the book, it's been a few years so forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't recall Palpatine ever performing direct action, only directing Vader to do things from the bridge of the ship and then the escape craft.  

The idea of him leading troops in Legion is against his whole Motif, sure he's a Sith Lord and totally capable on the battlefield, but his whole thing is hiding that fact and working from the shadows, he never revealed himself to be a Sith after founding the Empire, Luke only knew about it from Obi-wan.

It's also been awhile for me, but...

...,iirc, they do take on a whole nest of Lyleks with some support from the Royal Guard.

Link to more information

Edited by Hellfire33

If I read it correctly “Anger” says: Dark Side only. After you suffer one or more wounds, gain one aim token. 5 points.

I think that Vader will love this. It will nicely fill his third slot, along with Lightsaber Throw and Force Reflexes. Both of these expansions help Vader, since the Royal Guard would make some nice bodyguards to keep Vader from getting focused down.

4 minutes ago, Hellfire33 said:

It's also been awhile for me, but...

Reveal hidden contents

...,iirc, they do take on a whole nest of Lyleks with some support from the Royal Guard.

Link to more information

You are right, I had forgotten about that.  However that still plays into my point, he only does that when he's isolated with Vader and his trusted Royal Guard.  The only way him deploying in Legion and displaying his force powers makes any sense is if the plan is to then execute all his surviving troops and any prisoners at the end of the battle, which sure that is possible he is a Sith Lord, but that seems a little too grimdark for Star Wars.

Excellent! I’m glad to be getting the Emperor plus his ranged attack makes his speed bearable (although will miss relentless). 

I particularly like the command card ‘An Entire Legion’ giving you the flexibility over your entire army. I don’t know if it is better than Master of Evil in terms of effects but it does give you the ability to react to different parts of the battlefield. 

I also like the crit surges on Palpatine, gives him a powerful punch against units in cover or even armour. Add this to his special ability allowing other units to attack or move for free, makes him deadly (double tapping with bikes for example).

45 minutes ago, spudmonkey said:

Palpatine?  Really FFG?

Come on, he's got better **** to do than leading a few squads of stormtroopers in direct action.  

I'd go so far as to say that he's never been actually on a battlefield during combat.

I do agree with you there but I think there are a lot of scenarios where it could work. Palpatine would make for a valuable target for the rebels should he caught out mid transit or on a Death Star style inspection tour with his Royal Guard.

It can work but like you say having him just running into battle would be a bit daft. 

3 minutes ago, Sith Lord Revan said:

Add this to his special ability allowing other units to attack or move for free, makes him deadly (double tapping with bikes for example).

Or if you really want to spend 60% of your points on two models after upgrades, Vader.

2 minutes ago, Doghouse. said:

I do agree with you there but I think there are a lot of scenarios where it could work. Palpatine would make for a valuable target for the rebels should he caught out mid transit or on a Death Star style inspection tour with his Royal Guard.

It can work but like you say having him just running into battle would be a bit daft. 

Nonsense! Why wouldn’t an old man in a dirty robe be running around in the middle of a full blown battlefield?

Frankly, I think worrying about whether Palpatine ever engaged directly in battle in the lore is just a way to lower your enjoyment of the game.

The commander checklist goes like this:

Is he from Star Wars?

chexk

Is he cool looking?

check

Does he have cool abilities that translate to gameplay?

check

Is he different than other commanders?

check

Good enough for me.  Plus fielding Palpatine and a squad of Imperial Guards will just be cool.

If you are sitting around worrying about why he would be leading such a small force then it must really upset you that Luke, Leia and Vader all fight each other every round and get killed every game...

Yeah. It doesn't really matter that much if he is likely to be on the battlefield. These arnt canon battles.

That said, if the rebels had the chance to attack him they would take it.

Does his 3 pip card + battle meditation mean every  unit gets an order Token because they are all "eligible" to receive an order at that point?

Just now, Icyobi said:

Does his 3 pip card + battle meditation mean every  unit gets an order Token because they are all "eligible" to receive an order at that point?

I would assume so . . . I would read ‘eligible’ as those units who could normally get orders except there is not limit on which ones you can activate.

1 hour ago, BigBadAndy said:

Frankly, I think worrying about whether Palpatine ever engaged directly in battle in the lore is just a way to lower your enjoyment of the game.

The commander checklist goes like this:

Is he from Star Wars?

chexk

Is he cool looking?

check

Does he have cool abilities that translate to gameplay?

check

Is he different than other commanders?

check

Good enough for me.  Plus fielding Palpatine and a squad of Imperial Guards will just be cool.

If you are sitting around worrying about why he would be leading such a small force then it must really upset you that Luke, Leia and Vader all fight each other every round and get killed every game...

They don't die. Just are heavily injured to keep fighting and flee after the battle or are captured to be rescued by farmers and angry teddies between battles.

Palp and Chewie really "complete" the game from the perspective of giving you the core of the original trilogy.  Feels very similar to Wave 3 of X-Wing to me.  I'm not at all surprised to see the Emperor.  The game sits in that same gamespace as Battlefront after all.  Once this stuff is available, I think the game will feel like the original launch is complete and we can start seeing how it will really expand.

Super excited for this stuff, but man is the time warp getting irritating.  There's almost more stuff we've been waiting months for then stuff that's been released.

What FFG hasn't spoiled is Ole Palpy comes with a 4th command card:

"4 Pips - Unlimited Pooowwwwwwaaaaahhhhh! - Emperor Palpatine

Replace Standing Orders in your command hand with this card.

When Emperor Palpatine activates, discard all wound tokens assigned to him. At the end of Empeor Palpatine's activation, make a free attack against any unit on on the board (regardless of Line of Sight).

Then, return this card to your command hand."

Haha ;)

2 hours ago, spudmonkey said:

I'd go so far as to say that he's never been actually on a battlefield during combat.

Other than the battle of Coruscant.

And the Battle of Endor.

2 hours ago, spudmonkey said:

Palpatine?  Really FFG?

Come on, he's got better **** to do than leading a few squads of stormtroopers in direct action.  

Do you really have doubts that they will squeeze in an AT-AT eventually? Iconic sells.