Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jedu

Bomb and shield tokens in conversion kits

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

It's not a question of price, but of space in the box 

Shield/focus/evade Token sprues take up a ridiculous amount of volume 

And since they're not actually needed, I could give a wet fart about them 

 

Yes. Because boxes come in one size only. Getting a box 1/8th of an inch taller is impossible. How would they procure such a thing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

Yes. Because boxes come in one size only. Getting a box 1/8th of an inch taller is impossible. How would they procure such a thing? 

1/8th inch taller for a single box. I would hope theyre shipping out more than one.

Start multiplying the extra height by the number of units they're shipping and the additional volume of ultimately superfluous components begins to add up

Were these bomb tokens, I'd be more inclined to agree  that they should've been included.

Edited by ficklegreendice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

Yes. Because boxes come in one size only. Getting a box 1/8th of an inch taller is impossible. How would they procure such a thing? 

Box sizes are usually set based on how many they can then fit into a case, which is the unit of size that gets sold to retailers. That 1/8th inch could be the difference between 10 kits in a case or 12.

And it also matters to those retailers, as they're the ones who have to find a way to make room for these kits to fit in stores with limited display space.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if adding one additional cardboard was out, I question the choice in distribution. If you buy a core set and one each of the three conversion kits, you end up with 4 Shield Tokens and 26 (!!) Charge tokens. I have a hard time building a list that would need 26 charge tokens, but I can easily build a list (even an imperial one) that needs more than 4 Shield tokens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

1/8th inch taller for a single box. I would hope theyre shipping out more than one.

Start multiplying the extra height by the number of units they're shipping and the additional volume of ultimately superfluous components begins to add up

Were these bomb tokens, I'd be more inclined to agree  that they should've been included.

I was talking bomb and the rest of the other tokes as well but i didn't specify.

Edited by Dabirdisdaword

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

And since they're not actually needed, I could give a wet fart about them 

Seriously.  I mean, the conversion kits are meant for existing players with big collections.

It's not as though existing players with big collections are going to be short on tokens now, is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Seriously.  I mean, the conversion kits are meant for existing players with big collections.

It's not as though existing players with big collections are going to be short on tokens now, is it?

I have a ziplock bag full of unused shield tokens. I don't need any more cardboard shield tokens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 maybe 20 Shield tokens are all you need. It was always nice to get all the cardboard required for each ship, and it was certainly good for people who didn't own the Core Set. 

My take is that FFG is making the hairy assumption that if you are buying the conversion kit, you already own the models and therefore enough tokens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Seriously.  I mean, the conversion kits are meant for existing players with big collections.

It's not as though existing players with big collections are going to be short on tokens now, is it?

I do understand this, but it still would have been nice to have a way to get more 2e versions of the shield token without having to buy ship expansions I don't need.

I know there's no functional difference, but I do really like the 'exhausted' idea. It would have been nice to be able to maintain consistency, not just with the four new shield tokens in the core set, but with the charge tokens and even across lines like the defence tokens in Armada. 

It's not the end of the world. I'll be getting an extra X-Wing, and probably eventually replacing the Y-Wing so I guess the 2e tokens will slowly build up. 

It's just hard to imagine that including even just four extra shield tokens per conversion kit would have been hard to do, even with all the arguments about 'box space' and economies of scale.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

I do understand this, but it still would have been nice to have a way to get more 2e versions of the shield token without having to buy ship expansions I don't need.

I know there's no functional difference, but I do really like the 'exhausted' idea. It would have been nice to be able to maintain consistency, not just with the four new shield tokens in the core set, but with the charge tokens and even across lines like the defence tokens in Armada. 

It's not the end of the world. I'll be getting an extra X-Wing, and probably eventually replacing the Y-Wing so I guess the 2e tokens will slowly build up. 

It's just hard to imagine that including even just four extra shield tokens per conversion kit would have been hard to do, even with all the arguments about 'box space' and economies of scale.

 

What would be the best shield investment? I think currently it’s boba but what would add the best return in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

What would be the best shield investment? I think currently it’s boba but what would add the best return in the future?

B-Wing.

It's not quite as good as the five tokens you got in 1e, but it's still the mostly heavily shielded small base (and therefore cheapest price point) ship. Not to mention there's only one ship with more shields anyway (the Falcon).

TIE Defender would be the same. 

Edited by GuacCousteau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

B-Wing.

It's not quite as good as the five tokens you got in 1e, but it's still the mostly heavily shielded small base (and therefore cheapest price point) ship. Not to mention there's only one ship with more shields anyway (the Falcon).

TIE Defender would be the same. 

I can likely use 2 bwings and defenders when they come out, only getting 1 con each. That should allow for my shield needs. More money though, getting really hard to defend you against cash grab ffg.

 

edit: speaking of conversion kits, I keep seeing flappy xwings actually have game function with the s-foils. How is that going to work using a 1.0 xwing? Making flappy a game mechanic was very stupid imo. Disrupts game state with needless figiting and makes the no moving ones break the rules.

Edited by LordFajubi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

I can likely use 2 bwings and defenders when they come out, only getting 1 con each. That should allow for my shield needs. More money though, getting really hard to defend you against cash grab ffg.

 

edit: speaking of conversion kits, I keep seeing flappy xwings actually have game function with the s-foils. How is that going to work using a 1.0 xwing? Making flappy a game mechanic was very stupid imo. Disrupts game state with needless figiting and makes the no moving ones break the rules.

There is a flappy token isn't there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dabirdisdaword said:

There is a flappy token isn't there?

The only ones I've seen are unofficial aftermarket ones. but they are out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

edit: speaking of conversion kits, I keep seeing flappy xwings actually have game function with the s-foils. How is that going to work using a 1.0 xwing? Making flappy a game mechanic was very stupid imo. Disrupts game state with needless figiting and makes the no moving ones break the rules.

You don't actually have to move the physical wings on the model, you just flip the appropriate upgrade card. 

The moveable wings are just there for cool factor (and it does double up as a handy visual indicator). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 12:55 PM, Nspace said:

Even if adding one additional cardboard was out, I question the choice in distribution. If you buy a core set and one each of the three conversion kits, you end up with 4 Shield Tokens and 26 (!!) Charge tokens. I have a hard time building a list that would need 26 charge tokens, but I can easily build a list (even an imperial one) that needs more than 4 Shield tokens.

Because you already have shield tokens from 1.0 (its a conversion) and don't have any charge tokens.

wtf is wrong with you people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 9:32 AM, LordFajubi said:

I can likely use 2 bwings and defenders when they come out, only getting 1 con each. That should allow for my shield needs. More money though, getting really hard to defend you against cash grab ffg.

 

edit: speaking of conversion kits, I keep seeing flappy xwings actually have game function with the s-foils. How is that going to work using a 1.0 xwing? Making flappy a game mechanic was very stupid imo. Disrupts game state with needless figiting and makes the no moving ones break the rules.

 

The flappy models have nothing to do with gameplay or rules, you simply flip the card for those ships. The flappy models are just new and cooler. But changing the model during the game is not part of the rules you do not have to do it.

ITS NOT A GAME MECHANIC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While unboxing the conversion kits, I kind of got the impression that they either chose a certain amount of cardboard/cards to print or where given a limitation ahead of time, and then they trimmed down from there based on what they felt people would accept.  There are some strange choices in there for sure though.

There are plenty of the various new tokens and old ones whose color/shape changed in a notable way, but a definite lack of some of the basic shield/focus/evade/TL etc that we all have a ton o already.  For now, I took a red marker and filled in the center of the back of shield tokens to match the new ones, though I still usually just toss them back in the box as they come off anyway.  I'm also still using the old target locks, or using them with a colored bead stuck on with clay tack to match the colored beads I use on ship bases instead of the number tokens.  The core set comes with like 6 TLs which is often enough but for now I'm just not messing with them yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many of us have a plastic bag full of /extra/ shield tokens?

And with new ships continuing to release how many of us are going to end up with a plastic bag full of /extra/ 2.0 shield tokens?

 

They’re saving some cardboard in the long run for something that doesn’t honestly make a functional difference right now. Relax. And whoever said that FFG is making a “hairy assumption” that we own 1st edition stuff if we’re buying conversion kits... Please explain to me why the [fill-in-the-blank] else you’d be interested in all that cardboard.

 

Also, Effenhog here makes a great point in that maybe FFG gave the X-Wing team a limit here. If they’d included everything you all wanted we’d be paying an extra $10-20 for stuff that we’re going to get with future purchases anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NerroSama said:

You also need manoeuver templates with middle line and 1 forward template with the side lines.

Also, core set pilots are exclusive to core set.

You don't really need the center line templates.  FFG said that the 1st ed ones would still be ok to use.  Though you will need to either mark the 1 straight or use the 2nd ed 1 straight for rolls.

I plan on marking all of mine rather than replace them.  I like my acrylic templates :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×