DelGriffen

Will you buy 2.0 ships to play in 1.0?

Just curious on how many people like myself plan to continue to buy new ships , but not convert to 2.0.  I will buy the new Falcon when it comes out and probably adjust it for 1.0. And definitely getting a new y wing. 

No, but I'm shocked at how many people are literally going to throw away 1.0 components; I'm all-in for 2.0 but all my 1.0 cards and incompatible components (tokens and such) are going to be condensed into a shoe box.

Then again, I'm a little obsessive about keeping all components; I've a "backstock" of more cardboard then I could ever hope to use, just can't bring myself to trash/recycle perfectly good components.

Which is also a pretty major flaw in the 2.0 marketing strategy. Until all the ships are converted to 2.0 you are forcing new players to purchase a conversion kit for some of the ships they will want to fly. 

1 hour ago, DelGriffen said:

Just curious on how many people like myself plan to continue to buy new ships , but not convert to 2.0.  I will buy the new Falcon when it comes out and probably adjust it for 1.0. And definitely getting a new y wing. 

I'm another.  There's nothing new in the pipes save Lando's Falcon.  I'll just peg it on top of Lando 1.0 for aesthetic reasons. . .no conversion needed.

I'll probably be playing a bit of a mish-mosh. . .for example, why not use the better T-65 dial from Saw's expac?

Right now, if I buy anything 2.0, it will be for the model (because I like the new sculpt, or I'm doing a personal repaint), so that my 1.0 table looks better.  In all likelihood, my XWM dollars will be going into 3rd party enhancements, like a space station.  I'm really finding it tough to swallow on faith a new edition that seems to be based entirely on the balancing notion of "we haven't a clue."

I'm not saying I'll never convert, but if anything I'm taking the reverse tactic--I'll do it when there is a fire sale on conversion kits, and 2.0 has proven its value.

Well, I mean for those that want to they could likely just take the cost of the ship in 2.0 and cut it in half, or even for Lando's falcon use the Outer Rim Smuggler as a base to build off of. Play 2.0, play 1.0, mix the game with a RPG, or do some fan event thing, when it comes to casual play the game however you like.

33 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I'm really finding it tough to swallow on faith a new edition that seems to be based entirely on the balancing notion of "we haven't a clue."

You say that as if they totally had a clue for 1.0.  At least they’re honest about it now, trying to fix the past mistakes, and leaving themselves room to fix future ones.

Im not trying to convince you to convert, but everything I’ve seen from 2.0 seems far and away better than 1.0 from a game design standpoint.

1 minute ago, Phelan Boots said:

You say that as if they totally had a clue for 1.0.  At least they’re honest about it now, trying to fix the past mistakes, and leaving themselves room to fix future ones.

Im not trying to convince you to convert, but everything I’ve seen from 2.0 seems far and away better than 1.0 from a game design standpoint.

Line 1:  So true.  And with the benefit of hindsight, I may have skipped the game altogether.  I got into this game because of the Star Wars IP, and let's be honest:  other than the names of the components, this game's standard format has nothing to do with SW at all.  You could change the names on everything, and play exactly the same game without pretending it has something to do with SW.

Line 2:  Maybe true.  I ain't giving any of my dollars to FFG on faith.  I want to see the app, I want to see way better balance between ship types, and (most importantly) I want to see this game be more than 3x3 Kill Kill Kill.  Then, I'll reinvest.

Until then, 2.0 provides the exact same thing as 1.0: 1/270 models of my favorite starships that I can use to play a relatively decent table top game with my bro.

2 hours ago, DelGriffen said:

Which is also a pretty major flaw in the 2.0 marketing strategy. Until all the ships are converted to 2.0 you are forcing new players to purchase a conversion kit for some of the ships they will want to fly. 

I'd much rather buy a conversion kit than re-purchase ships just for new cards and cardboard. Even if you don't have all the ships of the faction, it's still likely cheaper.

Edited by jwilliamson12

1 hour ago, Phelan Boots said:

It doesn't help that I think they had like 3 different core designers for the game that cycled out. It wasn't until Wave 5 or 6 that the current devs took over, meaning they had to work within the system already created. I sincerely hope that 2.0 will be amazing in terms of balance but we'll see, thankfully the living nature of the costs should help that.

6 hours ago, jwilliamson12 said:

I'd much rather buy a conversion kit than re-purchase ships just for new cards and cardboard. Even if you don't have all the ships of the faction, it's still likely cheaper.

I’m not arguing whether it’s cheaper for existing players. For existing players it’s awesone. For new players wanting to fly a gunboat immediately they have to buy a 15 dollar ship and 50 dollar upgrade. In the short run it will slow the growth of new players. 

12 minutes ago, DelGriffen said:

I’m not arguing whether it’s cheaper for existing players. For existing players it’s awesone. For new players wanting to fly a gunboat immediately they have to buy a 15 dollar ship and 50 dollar upgrade. In the short run it will slow the growth of new players. 

I understand frustration that new players have right now, and heck even existing players have valid frustrations.

But you need multiple ships to be competitive and to keep the game fresh. You’ll be buying new ships anyways. So you can convert your existing collection, however large or small it is, or wait for the re-releases in 2.0.

A Reaper, two TIEs, and an Advanced isn’t a bad start if you want to be a part of 2.0 without a conversion kit. Same for U-Wing, two X-Wings, and  a Y-Wing. Same for a Fang Fighter, Slave I, and Lando’s Falcon.

Personally, I’m banking on a lot of 1.0 stuff hitting the marketing cheap after 2.0 is out. That’ll make the conversion even more worth it if I can round out my ship collection on the cheap while having what is needed to play those expansions in 2.0. 

16 hours ago, stuffedskullcat said:

No, but I'm shocked at how many people are literally going to throw away 1.0 components; I'm all-in for 2.0 but all my 1.0 cards and incompatible components (tokens and such) are going to be condensed into a shoe box.

Then again, I'm a little obsessive about keeping all components; I've a "backstock" of more cardboard then I could ever hope to use, just can't bring myself to trash/recycle perfectly good components.

I am literally having a bonfire for mine, if you're in Wisconsin you're invited. For as they say tenor.gif?itemid=10525716

I likely will. Officially, our tiny group is not moving on to 2.0 (we are not the best casual players and we never were affected by all the extreme broken-meta wailing and gnashing of teeth) and we are relieved that we will no longer be explaining $300 orders from CSI to our wives. But some of the new models might be fun to table--like the new y-wing. Pew Pew Pew.

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

It will be 2.0 only for me, unless I want to play epic.

Yes. But probably a mish-mash of 2.0 with huge ships, until FFG get round to giving us some rules for the huges.

v1 for HOTAC and v2 for casual play.

I'm not a fan of multiple cards on ships that I see in v1.

I'm hoping v2 limits it to 2-4 cards and allows me to fly any ship I want.

I doubt I will buy more and have no interest in FO/Resistance ships. ( or their future conversion kits )