Doughnut

Genesys for a Hexcrawl?

8 hours ago, arMedBeta said:

Someone tried using a hexcrawl approach with the Star Wars system (which is essentially the same). Here's a forum post from over there Prepping the Next Campaign: A Quasi-Hexcrawl Approach.

Thanks! Looks good.

7 hours ago, lyinggod said:

To my mind Hexcrawls are the antithesis of the NDS system, however if you do a little searching, there has been discussion in these forums on being more tactical in Genesys such as here:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/276020-tactical-combat-in-the-narrative-system/?tab=comments#comment-3335102

Tactical combat is not a hexcrawl, not even close. Thanks for trying though.

1 hour ago, Doughnut said:

Tactical combat is not a hexcrawl,

True, a hexcrawl is a whole adventure of full of hex counting with tactics only being used to kill things. As someone fed up with the endless d20 crawls, I may be (more than just) a bit jaded. It’s possible that the differences may have become too nuanced for me.

13 hours ago, lyinggod said:

True, a hexcrawl is a whole adventure of full of hex counting with tactics only being used to kill things. As someone fed up with the endless d20 crawls, I may be (more than just) a bit jaded. It’s possible that the differences may have become too nuanced for me. 

From your comments, I'm not sure you understand what a hexcrawl is. There is a regional map that is a hex grid. Each hex represents some large area, often 20 to 36 miles across. The content of each hex is procedurally/randomly generated as they are slowly explored by the party over the course of the campaign.

I don't know how players counting the hexs would contribute to that play experience. Or why a hexcrawl would push toward tactics that kill things. Or what you mean by a d20 crawl. A hexcrawl a is high level, abstract campaign structure that can be applied to just about any system or ruleset out there.

Might be worth taking a peak at Forbidden Lands RPG on its way from kickstarter. It is based on the mutant year zeron system which I find thematically very similar to genesys. For that matter MY0 isn't a bad source either if you wanted to take a look at how they do things it is just a post-apok setting.

I’ve been working on a dungeon crawl system for a little while that could probably be easily adapted to a hexcrawl.  It’s worked fairly well for me in the few times I’ve been able to try it out - just need to get off my butt and finish typing the last bits of it up so I can share it!