Sign in to follow this  
BenBot

AT-RT Tactics

Has anyone been able to effectively screen an advancing group of troopers with an AT-RT? In theory it's mobile light cover right?

I've only played a couple games but I've yet to charge in with an AT-RT like I'd like to. I get a little scared at the table I guess... ?

Are these walkers better for hanging back with Laser Cannons and shooting or have you found other strategies that work? 

I do kinda want to paint up a mad max type flamer AT-RT... ???

I've only played casually yet but I have had some success against my friends with 3 Flamer AT-RTs with 3 squads of Fleet Troopers with Scatter guns behind them.

So in theory my enemy has to choose between shooting the AT-RTs to not get burned to ashes or shooting the Fleets, which have light cover to not get riddled with bullet/blaster holes.

55 minutes ago, BenBot said:

Has anyone been able to effectively screen an advancing group of troopers with an AT-RT? In theory it's mobile light cover right?

I've only played a couple games but I've yet to charge in with an AT-RT like I'd like to. I get a little scared at the table I guess... ?

Are these walkers better for hanging back with Laser Cannons and shooting or have you found other strategies that work? 

I do kinda want to paint up a mad max type flamer AT-RT... ???

The AT-RT screen is going to be a lot better strategy with Han and Rebel Commandos. They get HEAVY cover due to Low Profile and Sharpshooter 1 means your opponent doesn’t benefit from the light cover provided by the AT-RTs. 

The main issue I find is that AT-RTs are not great cover because the minis cannot be in base contact with each other, so if you try to fire from behind an AT-RT, the light cover would likely apply to your own shot

14 minutes ago, WillKill said:

The main issue I find is that AT-RTs are not great cover because the minis cannot be in base contact with each other, so if you try to fire from behind an AT-RT, the light cover would likely apply to your own shot

There is no rule preventing you to move into base contact with friendly units.

As an Imperial player who plays a lot of troopers, I am not scared of a sniping ATRT laser cannon. Get that thing forward (away from my bikes if you can) and cause havoc with my stormie units. Flamer or rotary, take your pick, but it’s way better pushing the issue and allowing your troopers to advance behind or around terrain flanking. 

49 minutes ago, Bdolfos said:

There is no rule preventing you to move into base contact with friendly units.

The RRG explicitly says you can’t, actually. The guys with sharpshooter can take advantage, though, as pointed out above.

For reference, page 16 under Base Contact: “Friendly minis from different units cannot be in base contact with each other.”

Edited by nashjaee
Page reference

4 minutes ago, nashjaee said:

The RRG explicitly says you can’t actually.

Can you tell me where it says that in the rules reference? The only rule I can find regarding base contact and movement is this one(pg. 34):

"A mini can move into base contact with an enemy mini only if the unit performing the move has a melee weapon and is entering into a melee with that enemy unit."

Edit: Nevermind I just found it(pg. 16):

"Friendly minis from different units cannot be in base contact with each other."

Edited by Bdolfos

2 minutes ago, Bdolfos said:

Can you tell me where it says that in the rules reference? The only rule I can find regarding base contact and movement is this one(pg. 34):

"A mini can move into base contact with an enemy mini only if the unit performing the move has a melee weapon and is entering into a melee with that enemy unit."

Edit: Nevermind I just found it(pg. 16):

"Friendly minis from different units cannot be in base contact with each other."

Yeah, you must have replied while I was in the middle of editing with the reference, haha.

Edited by nashjaee

9 hours ago, WAC47 said:

The AT-RT screen is going to be a lot better strategy with Han and Rebel Commandos. They get HEAVY cover due to Low Profile and Sharpshooter 1 means your opponent doesn’t benefit from the light cover provided by the AT-RTs. 

Wow Han and Commandos does sound like fun! ?

Im kinda excited about the commandos in general.

When using an AT-RT for screening regular troopers; both friendly and enemy troopers would get the light cover. But it might still be worth it!

Note that, with the revised cover rules, the ATRT has to actually hide from sight some part of the trooper model/base for it to count as obscured. With the spindly little legs getting this on the majority of your squad is not a trivial task, unless you are close enough to be shadowed by the base.

I like to push forward with a rotary and Z6 trailing. It throws a lot of dice which makes it effective against everything. In theory, a rotary or flamer would pair better with fleet troopers, but I find the lack of long range weapons to hamstring the army. Laser cannons pair better with fleet troopers, but you can't advance with that composition. 

On 7/8/2018 at 6:39 AM, colki said:

Note that, with the revised cover rules, the ATRT has to actually hide from sight some part of the trooper model/base for it to count as obscured. With the spindly little legs getting this on the majority of your squad is not a trivial task, unless you are close enough to be shadowed by the base.

Modeling the gun lower and at an angle might help. Hooray for magnets! 

On 7/8/2018 at 3:39 AM, colki said:

My understanding is that Ground Vehicles count as little Area Terrain at the height of the mini. So it's not really "true LOS" at that point.

That and/or the base of the Ground Vehicle is obstructing the base of the Troopers giving them cover.

13 hours ago, Undeadguy said:

I like to push forward with a rotary and Z6 trailing. It throws a lot of dice which makes it effective against everything. In theory, a rotary or flamer would pair better with fleet troopers, but I find the lack of long range weapons to hamstring the army. Laser cannons pair better with fleet troopers, but you can't advance with that composition. 

I like it! I gotta try Tieren's trick of keeping the leader to the side for clear LOS on the attack!

I also need to figure out how to activate my AT-RT's and Troopers in the right order. I'm running the Wonder Twins with a Rotary AT-RT and a Laser AT-RT and 5 groups of Troopers,+1,Z-6.

Gotta get used to the command cards and giving out orders...

So much to learn in this game!

I'm liking it. ?

8 hours ago, BenBot said:

My understanding is that Ground Vehicles count as little Area Terrain at the height of the mini. So it's not really "true LOS" at that point.

That's how all terrain *used* to work before they made the change in the Official Rules thread that added a requirement that at least part of the model is blocked from view.

Even "Area Terrain" forests don't work that way any more.

The only things that provide cover without blocking the view of the model are holes, trenches and craters.

3 hours ago, colki said:

Even "Area Terrain" forests don't work that way any more.

According to Alex’s email (the same one where the new cover rule were revealed), area terrain is exempt from the true LOS system. You only check base-to-base line. Which is good, since the 3D elements are just representative and you’re explicitly allowed to move them around to accommodate movement.

On 7/8/2018 at 4:44 AM, tieren said:

Put your leader to the side of the atrt and the rest of ur troopers behind the atrt. You get cover while they don’t :)

Nice play

Edited by WillKill

15 hours ago, nashjaee said:

According to Alex’s email (the same one where the new cover rule were revealed), area terrain is exempt from the true LOS system. You only check base-to-base line. Which is good, since the 3D elements are just representative and you’re explicitly allowed to move them around to accommodate movement.

I think that is good - hopefully when the RRG is updated that will be clear!

On 7/7/2018 at 5:11 PM, Bdolfos said:

I've only played casually yet but I have had some success against my friends with 3 Flamer AT-RTs with 3 squads of Fleet Troopers with Scatter guns behind them.

So in theory my enemy has to choose between shooting the AT-RTs to not get burned to ashes or shooting the Fleets, which have light cover to not get riddled with bullet/blaster holes.

What happens when you deal with a couple of AT-ST?

1 hour ago, xerpo said:

What happens when you deal with a couple of AT-ST?

I didn't face a list with two AT-STs yet so I don't know. If my opponent has one AT-ST I mostly ignore it or try to get some Ion Tokens on it.