MajorJuggler

PSA: no public MathWing / ship evaluation for X-wing 2.0

7 minutes ago, Crit Happens said:

This has been a solid read during a slow day at summer school. Thank you everyone! A special thanks goes out to all the hype men keeping this thing going. Not all heros wear capes...

I'm looking at you @Wiredin

I handed in my notice yesterday and was able to take part in the fire storm because I can openly now not GAF @ work. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

wait, wtf did I do? @LagJanson and I just kept on quoting @GreenDragoon

Edited by Wiredin

6 hours ago, JasonCole said:

I support you in this. As an architect, when I perform work for a client, the client gets to use that work *once* to construct a building, but I retain all IP, copyright and trademarks, etc. My work is my work. They're paying me for it so they can use it once. In creative and analytical fields, we aren't making a *thing* that gets sold over and over, our ideas and our brains are how we make a living. Giving that out for free is a terrible business plan. 

Yeah.  They tried to cheat him, basically.  Not only gaining ownership of his work, but of the processes of his work, for free.  Oh, I'm sorry, apparently for the privilege of getting to play X-Wing 2.0 as a tester.  If they didn't think there was a substantial dollar value attached to the work, that's one thing.  But the rights to all of his work is ridiculous.  It's the kind of thing that unscrupulous companies try to deal on young or inexperienced employees all the time. But they weren't even going to pay the guy before they stole his work, lol. 

As far as whether or not Mathwing was valuable is always going to be up for debate.   But, as anyone with experience can tell you, it's possible to be successful without data analysis.  But having more data rarely hurt anyone.

22 hours ago, emmjay said:

Do a Kickstarter or Patreon subscription for your math wing data.  You get paid, people get the data they are looking for.

You mean I could pay money to have MJ tell me my lists suck?

Awesome!

Seriously, though, there may be something there worth looking into

I dislike math, therefore I dislike mathwing, therefore I dislike all 10 pages of this thread. Booo math.

Mathwing starts and stops for me when I point Kath Scarlets fearless tail gunner in someones face. Eat my math!

Seriously though, I have been entertained. Thank you gladiators.

11 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Would that be an Outer Rim job?

Everybody polite knows that you never go a$$-to-math.

jesus dude... you win. best post in the thread by far. still laughing

I can't believe the mods have let this go on so long. 

Edited by Wiredin

4 hours ago, TheVeteranSergeant said:

Yeah.  They tried to cheat him, basically.  Not only gaining ownership of his work, but of the processes of his work, for free.  Oh, I'm sorry, apparently for the privilege of getting to play X-Wing 2.0 as a tester.  If they didn't think there was a substantial dollar value attached to the work, that's one thing.  But the rights to all of his work is ridiculous.  It's the kind of thing that unscrupulous companies try to deal on young or inexperienced employees all the time. But they weren't even going to pay the guy before they stole his work, lol. 

As far as whether or not Mathwing was valuable is always going to be up for debate.   But, as anyone with experience can tell you, it's possible to be successful without data analysis.  But having more data rarely hurt anyone.

People who are bad at design are typically bad about being able to quantify value in good design. People that are TERRIBLE at design don't realize that good design HAS value.

This, in a nutshell, is my biggest personal hiccup about the mechanics of 2.0- the instant quarterly "do over" button that basically says "we have no effing idea how to calculate points values of ships and mods, so we're just going to make it ""dynamic".  Probably said in the same meeting that somebody farted out "synergy" and "value added".

On 7/5/2018 at 11:01 PM, Boba Rick said:

That's humorously ironic because the exact same thing can be said about the religion of Darwinism (except there are plenty of glaring scientific problems with it).

Needless to say, there's far less flaws in the reasoning behind the 'religion of' Darwinism then flaws in the reasoning behind the existence of an omnipresent yet undetectable being.
In other words: The 'plenty of glaring scientific problems' are much more numerous in the Creationists worldview.
Hence: the scientific view = the Darwinist view.
 giphy.gif

On topic:
@MajorJuggler brought science to a science fiction miniatures game. If that's not (Neil Degrasse Tyson) level cool, than I don't know what is.
I welcomed MJ's sciencing, and regret his departure, although it's extremely understandable.
A 'Thank You, MJ' seems in place.
giphy.gif

Can we talk about this misleading thread title now?

I've enjoyed reading all 11 pages thus far, but I haven't seen anything that is even close to an announcement that serves the public.  PSA indeed! The closest we got was an opening "cessation of public service announcement", which seems like quite the opposite.

I feel like I've been duped, foiled, and hornswoggled.  Good day sir!

15 minutes ago, BojambaMcMamba said:

Can we talk about this misleading thread title now?

I've enjoyed reading all 11 pages thus far, but I haven't seen anything that is even close to an announcement that serves the public.  PSA indeed! The closest we got was an opening "cessation of public service announcement", which seems like quite the opposite.

I feel like I've been duped, foiled, and hornswoggled.  Good day sir!

Your mom likes a good hornswoggle.

15 hours ago, Azrapse said:

toy-train-derails-then-uses-a-wall-to-go

I rate this gif a 7/10.  While satisfying to see it get back on the rails, the inability to see a full loop breaks the illusion.  With some more time, this gif may have achieved greatness, yet that potential lies untapped in its current state.  Instead, it only serves as a testament to the truth of the flat earth, as if the earth were curved, the train would be flying but clearly that is not the case.  Instead, the train remains on the flat ground, proving the nature of the earth is not a sphere, but rather a disk (look it up).  But yet, the nature of this train also reminds me of the nature of meaning, in that I can always try to bridge the gap, but something will always be lost in translation.  I can no more convey to you how I felt about the game than I could the taste of my lunch.  Even if we have the same meaning for every word, you internal connotations differ, so the meaning will be irrevocably altered.  Furthermore, The Phantom menace is the best star wars move, is it truly shows us why they fight.  Not for rights, or for life, or freedom but taxes - the most evil of xes.

Final score: 140/200

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, player3314088 said:

FTFY