NeverBetTheFett

Tournaments. New expansions only?

I was told by two good gaming sources that X-wing 2.0 tournaments will start with only allowing ships that have been released as 2.0. Can others corroborate this? If so, I'll be out for a while. I was hoping to buy the core and conversion kit only. This means I can't play in official tournaments until my favourite ships are released? Confused.

Just now, NeverBetTheFett said:

I was told by two good gaming sources that X-wing 2.0 tournaments will start with only allowing ships that have been released as 2.0. Can others corroborate this? If so, I'll be out for a while. I was hoping to buy the core and conversion kit only. This means I can't play in official tournaments until my favourite ships are released? Confused.

Haven’t heard this confirmed but wouldn’t surprise me at all. Do you really expect newbies to take people with 7 times their number in ships? I really think they will do it that way for tournaments.

5 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

FFG has said that there will be special events around release using only ships that have a dedicated 2.0 release, but this is not a new format for tournaments going forward.

3 minutes ago, Innese said:

FFG has said that there will be special events around release using only ships that have a dedicated 2.0 release, but this is not a new format for tournaments going forward.

Keep dreaming, they fractured their current user base. They need new blood, new money, new players and at the end of the day money is their goal. Pandering to people who stayed through the storm will not make them money. So while I fully believe they will have a “legacy bracket” there is no way they won’t have a 2.0 only bracket and eventually merge the 2.

1 hour ago, LordFajubi said:

Keep dreaming, they fractured their current user base. They need new blood, new money, new players and at the end of the day money is their goal. Pandering to people who stayed through the storm will not make them money. So while I fully believe they will have a “legacy bracket” there is no way they won’t have a 2.0 only bracket and eventually merge the 2.

Lets unpack this a bit.

They have stated they will do release tournaments with each wave that are new 2.0 content only (no conversion legacy) but i believe all other tournaments are full stuff. (unfortunately i do not have a quote or source for this... so it really could be wrong but i do remember something along those lines).

"fractured their current user base" is a bit of a stretch i am not sure but at least locally we will have a substantial if not 100% change over to 2.0 (hardly fractured)

" Pandering to people who stayed through the storm will not make them money." Ya i am pretty sure that making the people who dump several hundred dollars on every wave happy will indeed make them money, you are pretty out to lunch here.

Edited by Icelom

3 minutes ago, Icelom said:

" Pandering to people who stayed through the storm will not make them money." Ya i am pretty sure that making the people who dump several hundred dollars on every wave happy will indeed make them money, you are pretty out to lunch here.

They already have our money and it is, regardless of the panic, waaaaay cheaper to get a conversion kit than buy new models. Sorry but they are not making money off the converters, they past tense MADE money off us. They want people to get into the game and buy the new models. Come on man this business 101 stuff. But we’ll all see come fall.

Keep dreaming, they fractured their current user base. They need new blood, new money, new players and at the end of the day money is their goal. Pandering to people who stayed through the storm will not make them money.

what a great way to not sell Conversion Kits

8 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

what a great way to not sell Conversion Kits

I haven’t seen sales numbers have you? They may very well take a bath on these conversions we’ll see. They are an olive branch to retain customers but they will not be everything you need and I gurantee they’ll level the playing field. Would you want to be the new guy when everyone has way more than you. These are starter packs with the intention you’ll be buying more. Anyone that doesn’t accept that is going to be sorely disappointed.

7 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

Would you want to be the new guy when everyone has way more than you.

That's kind of how it goes when starting out though, isn't it? I know I didn't drop $2000 on kit before I started playing just to be able to keep up the more established players in my area.

New folks are going to start at the bottom. If they want a ship that is outside of wave 1 and are deseparate for it, they will find a way to get it.

7 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

That's kind of how it goes when starting out though, isn't it? I know I didn't drop $2000 on kit before I started playing just to be able to keep up the more established players in my area.

New folks are going to start at the bottom. If they want a ship that is outside of wave 1 and are deseparate for it, they will find a way to get it.

Not all new folks are going to start at the bottom; I have a friend who is going to get in the game he picked up two ships in waiting (the Reaper & Lancercraft) he's one of each new expansion, plus the conversion kits. about $500 total. He uses my stuff at $500he could build a Palp Aces list easy a very competitve Scum list with Assaj and Fenn (if not new Lando/Han Falcon) then he has all the Rebel needs for a list there too. He will be behind yes, with game mechanics but not options and lists

They already have our money and it is, regardless of the panic, waaaaay cheaper to get a conversion kit than buy new models. Sorry but they are not making money off the converters, they past tense MADE money off us. They want people to get into the game and buy the new models. Come on man this business 101 stuff. But we’ll all see come fall.

ok.... so new ship releases, new sculpt releases, and wave upgrade packs are nothing?

I guaranty they will extract lots more money from me and they know it. 

I think it's going to be polarised by what the player base of each FLGS wants, and what that FLGS' goals are. Older players doubtless want full availability to test out all the new toys. Relatively new players (that probably don't want to buy a conversion kit just yet, but are happy to pick up 2.0 blisters) are going to want restricted tournaments. The great thing about the app is that it's been stated that TOs can create custom formats, thus allowing any ship/upgrade combination to be fielded equally effectively.

Newer players are going to get stomped either way, because X-wing is ultimately a game of skill. I'm personally leaning, as an older player with a large collection, towards limited tournaments, just so that I can enjoy a smaller field of ships again, and see the loved ships back on tables.

6 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

Assuming you are right, every guy that converts is a guy not dumping his collection on eBay, making it possible for a new player to buy a conversion kit instead of the, much more profitable in your assertion, new wave 1 expansions. 

Retaining existing customers which have proven willingness to spend $$$ on your business is also business 101 stuff. 

5 hours ago, Astech said:

Relatively new players (that probably don't want to buy a conversion kit just yet, but are happy to pick up 2.0 blisters) are going to want restricted tournaments. The great thing about the app is that it's been stated that TOs can create custom formats, thus allowing any ship/upgrade combination to be fielded equally effectively.

In my case, and for other new guys, the conversion kits are great. They give you all the cards and cardboards so you can tests ships before buying them. That way you dont buy a ship that you end up not liking(or worse, are forced to buy a ship just for the cards. I hate thta from 1.0).

The conversion kit for me, as a new player, will serve as a way to get to tje same level (flying skills not counting) as all the vets. I have all the same equipment everyone has without having to spend hundreds of dollars. The ships can be bought later abd slowly so it doesnt hurt my wallet. In the meantime my communitty is happy to lend ships to new guys in order to foment growth in the game

Edited by RafaelNN

21 hours ago, skotothalamos said:
20 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

I haven’t seen sales numbers have you? They may very well take a bath on these conversions we’ll see. They are an olive branch to retain customers but they will not be everything you need and I gurantee they’ll level the playing field. Would you want to be the new guy when everyone has way more than you. These are starter packs with the intention you’ll be buying more. Anyone that doesn’t accept that is going to be sorely disappointed.

The word that reached our store is that there won't be enough conversion kits to go around in the initial release, so stores are likely to be strictly rationed on how many they can order.

I remember them mentioning in a livestream that there'd be events that were restricted so newer players didnt get flooded with all the stuff they cant have w/o buying old stuff and a conversion box.

I highly, highly doubt they will extend that to the major tournaments. That will alienate such a massive group of people.

Some of it will be down to the stores.  Your LGS can use a store kit for a standard tournament, league, escelation tournement or even an objectives tournament as they see fit.  It’s only once you get to the Formal tier that a particular format is mandated.  As I TO our local events I’ll be discussing with the owner of our  FLGS what the local player base wants, but there will absolutely be events where only ships and upgrades released in the waves will be allowed rather than the full spectrum.

22 hours ago, LordFajubi said:

Considering every single new guy who has ever joined xwing not at the beginning has already had to do exactly that, I think it’s perfectly reasonable for them to keep doing it in 2e.

I for one have no intention of playing in wave events with only ships released in the new format allowed - I gave them a ton of grace because of the conversion kits but they may as well have not sold the kits if they won’t let them into events.