Bhelliom

Multiplayer Deployments

It was pointed out to me recently that the initiative system would make Runewars unusually good at handling multiplayer games, which I can only agree with. Going throughout the round gets away from the issues of player engagement, double turns, and long waits. I've mocked up a 4-player free-for-all or 2v2 and a 1v3 deployment:

imL54Xa.png

Pretty basic. You're slightly closer to the enemy on your flank than in front of you, but it's also harder to leverage force on them. Lacks interaction between corners, but that's tough to address on the long table. Designed with 100 point armies in mind for speed of play and board crowding, but it could certainly support a bit more. 

gZ373ln.png

Uneven team fights can be pretty fun, so this is a 1v3. Balance is probably terrible, but the idea is 300 points per side.

Has anyone fiddled around with multiplayer games? How have you handled terrain deployment? Any custom scenarios? The next thing I want to work up is a siege.

Wow that's a great idea. Love the consept of three vs one and the free for all. If we get some interesting objectives it woul be great too. Like a king of the hill if you hold the area over three rounds you winn? Score twenty points for each ennemy unit diagonaly opposed from you in the settup.

Firstplayer (round token) would rotate clockvise i guess same as the turn-order. 

The ennemy of my ennemy settup was quite ineresting. Could do a 250 point army instead and have a objective: Choose one hero figure the player that kills this figure winns. Not just cooperiation... could also include if the choosen hero figure reaches the back edge of one of the opposing deploymentsones that player winns...

I imagine this could be a great way to set up a demo... 1. A larger amonts of players wold govern morr attention i guess, and 2. Playing a free for all could be less inntimidating as such a multiplayer game would make the game phunnishing for the one in lead and give a possibility for a gennuine victory to a new player.  Want to jump inn and take controll of this army? 

Thanks for putting those cards together!

You're right that multiplayer Runewars works really well. In the Minneapolis area, this spring we did a large multiple player game where the forces of evil raided the forces of good. It was something like 4 on each side, for a total of 8. I thought I had a blog post with the event but looks like I didn't. Definitely need to go back and fix this! We used I want to say like 5 mats all total in what was a rather massive match. It worked amazingly well and over the course of an afternoon we managed I want to say ~12 turns. 

1 hour ago, tgall said:

Thanks for putting those cards together!

You're right that multiplayer Runewars works really well. In the Minneapolis area, this spring we did a large multiple player game where the forces of evil raided the forces of good. It was something like 4 on each side, for a total of 8. I thought I had a blog post with the event but looks like I didn't. Definitely need to go back and fix this! We used I want to say like 5 mats all total in what was a rather massive match. It worked amazingly well and over the course of an afternoon we managed I want to say ~12 turns. 

10 turns I believe.  With the first 3 turns deploying roughly 33% of each players forces at a time so it wasn't too clustered.

My group played a 3 player king of the hill game that was a blast.  We had deployments in the middle of one side and the corners of the other with the Stone Terrace placed roughly in the middle.  We gave 20 points at the end of the round to the player occupying the terrace.  The player in the middle deployment got to place two spike terrain to protect their flanks.  It was a blast!  It involved one player (me) getting a hold of the Terrace early and holding it for a while, thus jumping way ahead in points. This of course triggered an alliance from the other two players to unseat me from the "hill".  Eventually there was a double-cross, which ultimately resulted in victory for the double-crosser.  It was awesome and actually turned out to be a very close game in the end.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:43 AM, QuickWhit said:

My group played a 3 player king of the hill game that was a blast.  We had deployments in the middle of one side and the corners of the other with the Stone Terrace placed roughly in the middle.  We gave 20 points at the end of the round to the player occupying the terrace.  The player in the middle deployment got to place two spike terrain to protect their flanks.  It was a blast!  It involved one player (me) getting a hold of the Terrace early and holding it for a while, thus jumping way ahead in points. This of course triggered an alliance from the other two players to unseat me from the "hill".  Eventually there was a double-cross, which ultimately resulted in victory for the double-crosser.  It was awesome and actually turned out to be a very close game in the end.

Okay, I really like the idea of giving the middle player terrain to protect immediate flank charges.