Ace Hansen

How to play , Star wars legion

Hi.

Now I may be stupid.

I've read the rulebook five times.

I watched several videos on YouTube, trying to grasp it, but..... they do not tell the same story. And I am left with a lot of holes.

i try to follow the instructions, but........

Just can't make it past where Darth Vader issues the order. To do what??? What does what and when????

I simply can't get my head around it.

I don't understand, when I get to move, or shoot. All I see is, Command Phase, then everything gets fuzzy.

Issuing orders????

Activation????, a lot of "snow". Can't figure out what happens, in the"snow".

I don't even get, when the end phase is.

The quick reference, only makes things worse.

Like with X-wing I find the gameplay is made for, DEVELOPERS ONLY. Only for you to understand.

We made our own rules for x-wing.

Almost giving up, even before I get started.

I haven't even put the figures together yet, and already thinking about going back to the store, hoping to find someone who will take it off my hands.

Simply give it away.. for free!!!

So far, I must say, it is the worst 110$ I've ever spent on a game.

So, someone, please explain to me how this game is played.

Best regards.

Do you have any specific questions? No one is just going to type out the rule book for you. Did you try the simplified starter rules before delving into the advanced rules?

2 minutes ago, Hadriker said:

Do you have any specific questions? No one is just going to type out the rule book for you. Did you try the simplified starter rules before delving into the advanced rules?

The simplified starter rules were the only ones in my copy. There's an advanced rulebook?

1 minute ago, TauntaunScout said:

The simplified starter rules were the only ones in my copy. There's an advanced rulebook?

Yes, check the Legion page on the FFG website.

then go to YouTube and watch someone playing.

if you still don’t like what you see, I would love a free core set and it will get put to GREAT use :)

5 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

In the learn to play booklet it got two sections. the first part  explains the basics of the game and setup .  then it has the "expanded rules"  section. There is even a big red box that says  after you read the learn to play rules and have played a game then read the expanded rules.

The first part only introduces the basic mechanics of the game.  the expanded rules goes into army building command cards, all the different actions etc. If you are a complete newb it lets you learn the basic mechanics and phases of the game before throwing all the other stuff at you.

31 minutes ago, DangerShine Designs said:

Yes, check the Legion page on the FFG website.

then go to YouTube and watch someone playing.

if you still don’t like what you see, I would love a free core set and it will get put to GREAT use :)

You seem to be conflating me with the OP.  Just making sure my box wasn't missing a book. And he's already seen youtube videos, apparently, with little good effect.

To Ace Hansen:

This game doesn't have a move phase, shoot phase, etc. like some games do. When Vader (or whoever) is ALL DONE placing tokens, you and your opponent take turns activating units. In the activation phase of units, they can either move, and/or shoot, and/or dodge, and/or aim. You usually get two actions but the only thing a unit is normally allowed to do twice in a turn is move. That is when you get to shoot or move or whatnot. In the activation phase. You "activate" a unit and move/shoot, then the opponent does, until every unit has activated.

References to "priority" are what other games would call initiative.

The best thing to do with new miniatures games is walk through a game, open rulebook in hand, not trying to win, just humoring the writer when things don't make sense (like issuing an order: "to do what" is explained if you keep going on through)  and dumbly going through the motions. Well, the BEST thing is to play a demo with someone who already knows how, but, apparently that's not an option. Put some figures on a table, get the ruler etc. out, open the book, keep an open mind, and go through the motions of exactly what it describes, in the order it describes it. If it doesn't explain what something is when you do it, keep going and don't worry about it for now.

Edited by TauntaunScout

I think you misread the learn to play booklet….also if you have not yet built your models, of course you haven't played the introductory game. 

Issuing orders, basically means you put face up order tokens next to certain units (howmany and which kind of units depend on the command card you choosed at the beginning of round)

Activation - you and your opponent alternate to avtivate units 1 at a time, starting from the player with priority. Activating a unit means that unit can take two actions out of the list mentioned on page 10<of the lear to play booklet. how to actually perform those action is explained later in the same booklet. When it is your turn to activate a unit, you can either choose to activate one of the unit to which you issued orders, or to randomly select an order token from the order pool (which is made by all the order token you didn't use in the command phase). If you go for random selection you must activate a unit of the kind depicted on the order token you took out.

So, e.g. in the introductory game, you have 2 corps unit - the triangle - a support unit - sort of 8 shaped figure - and a commander - the winged figure. If during command phase you choosed the 2 pip card, you had given face up order token to 2 units,  let's say you choosed the commander and the support unit. When it is your turn to activate a unit, you have three possible choices:

- activate the commander 

-activate the support unit

-choose randomly between the two remaining tokens (which are both corps units in this example). If you do so no matter which token you take out, you may choose which of the two corp units you want to activate.

So issuing orders to a unit just means you can choose at which point of the activation phase you will be able to activate it (instead of waiting untill you randomly selct the proper token from the order pool)

This is really important, since activations are alternated between the two players, so activating a certain unit at a certain time (not too early  or not too late) is very important. For example, your unit maybe too far from the enemy to be able to shoot them, so you move it. Still too far. You move it again. Now it is your opponent's turn. He now has one of his unit in range to shoot to the unit you just moved. So it can spend its first action taking AIM, and the second action to shoot. 

10 hours ago, Ace Hansen said:

Hi.

Now I may be stupid.

I've read the rulebook five times.

I watched several videos on YouTube, trying to grasp it, but..... they do not tell the same story. And I am left with a lot of holes.

i try to follow the instructions, but........

Just can't make it past where Darth Vader issues the order. To do what??? What does what and when????

I don't understand, when I get to move, or shoot. All I see is, Command Phase, then everything gets fuzzy.

Issuing orders????

I don't even get, when the end phase is.

The quick reference, only makes things worse.

Like with X-wing I find the gameplay is made for, DEVELOPERS ONLY. Only for you to understand.

We made our own rules for x-wing.

Almost giving up, even before I get started.

I haven't even put the figures together yet, and already thinking about going back to the store, hoping to find someone who will take it off my hands.

Simply give it away.. for free!!!

So far, I must say, it is the worst 110$ I've ever spent on a game.

So, someone, please explain to me how this game is played.

Best regards.

1) Play command card: Each player simultaneously reveals one of their command cards, whoevers card has the fewest pips in the upper left corner has “Priority” (is the first player for the round).

example: Ambush has 1 pip in the upper left, Push has 2 pips. If these two cards were played, the player who revealed Ambush would be said to have Priority.

2) Issue Orders: Starting with the Priority player (aka first player) choose a friendly commander unit (ie Vader for Empire, Luke for Rebels) to nominate. For every unit listed in the orders section of a command card, place one order token faceup by a unit of that type. All tokens associated with units go into their owners order pool (pile yours up on your side)

example: Ambush grants an order token to 1 unit, Push 2 units. Some cards are more limited in what an eligible unit is (My Ally is the Force grants tokens to 2 Trooper units, Implacable only grants a token to Darth Vader). A unit can only receive the order token if it is the nominated commander OR if it’s within range 1-3 of that commander.

3) Activate Units: Starting with the Priority player, take turns picking a unit with a Faceup Order token OR drawing a facedown Order token from their Order Pool and assigning to one of their units which then activates. For each unit when activated a) Roll to remove suppression (troopers) and check for panic, b) perform up to 2 actions and any free actions.

Example: Empire chooses to activate a unit of Stormtroopers that has a faceup token. It rallies and then the player performs 2 actions (Move, Aim, Dodge, Attack, etcetera) and any number of free actions. No action (including free actions) except Move, can be done twice in an activation. After its actions are completed, the player flips the Order Token facedown, and the other player takes their turn activating one of their units.

4) End Phase: After all units have been activated (ie all have a facedown Order token) we clean up the board for the next round. Order tokens are picked up and placed on unit cards, unspent aim and dodge tokens are returned to the supply, each trooper unit removes a suppression token. Advance the round counter and start step 1.

Really, it’s as basic a game play structure as virtually every other board game in the last 60 years, by far easier then most.

Also... What do you mean by “Snow”?

Thank you all for trying.

I am not trying to do in my head, just used the bases.

I read it out loud. But can't get past the black square on page 9.

Issuing orders.....

Nothing past that makes sense to me.

Maybe I will get it, if it comes in a version for the +50 year old. 

Best regards to you all.

1 hour ago, Derrault said:

Also... What do you mean by “Snow”?

Snow is an expression from before led-tv.

Have you ever seen "Back to the Future"

Black and White tv. If there wasn't a descent signal, all you got was "SNOW"

Well I am not getting that signal..... Sorry...

One thing I learned at Uni in a subject on Building Contracts was to create a flow chart of the process.

It helps not just understand the rule as you read it, but understand how the rules fit together.

With Orders there is a pre-game step during army building and a step at the start of each turn. If you don't figure out the pre-game step the game step will not make much sense.

If you return to the store you bought the game you may find that they do a game night or something. Most people will help a new player as it gives them more opponents, and that is never a bad thing.

22 hours ago, Ace Hansen said:

Issuing orders????

I think I see where you're hung up, I had a similar issue when starting out. Think about it like this.

Over the course of a round you take turns with your opponent Activating your units individually. An Activation consists of pulling an Order Token at random from a stack of them that you have. This stack contains one token for each of your units on the board. When a unit Activates it gets to take actions which consist of moving, shooting, aiming, dodging, etc... 

However that is quite random and sometimes means you won't pull the token for the unit you want activate at that moment. That is where the orders come in.

Your Command Cards determine what kind of Orders you issue that turn. At the start of a turn you pick a Command Card and it lists a number of units that (for example) Darth Vader can issue an Order to. Issuing an Order to a unit allows you to pick a unit that is at range 1-3 of Darth Vader and is eligible to receive one (which depends on the Command Card) place an Order Token next to it. Then when it comes to Activating a unit you may choose a unit that has been issued an Order (which means a unit that you placed a Command Token next to) or you can pull a random Order Token from your stack. The ability to choose an Ordered unit eliminates a certain amount of randomization and gives you more control over which of your units gets to activate and when.

I hope several things.

1. That I was perhaps able to help.
  2. That you go watch the Watch It Played videos that @Amanal linked. They were integral to helping me learn to play before I even got my Core Set, models, rules, etc... Rodney and Pep do a great job not just with this game but with all the games they review. There are many other examples of walkthroughs and teaching battle reports on youtube that go step by step. Follow along with your rules, pause when you don't understand, go back and re-watch a segment. Try to understand, don't expect it to be handed to you on a silver platter.
  3. That you come back to us after you do on don't make further attempts at this game and be more specific about the problem. You've initially identified an issue, the community attempted to address it. Was it helpful, yes/no? Why wasn't it helpful, what didn't you still understand? Using quotes for specific passages of a post, highlights, underlining the pertinent passages are helpful. Saying words like "fuzzy" and "snow" don't help us identify the root issue.
  4. That you're not taking advantage of the good will of this community. From what you're writing it really doesn't seem like you want help or to learn - which does require some work on your part, you will only get out of the game what you put into it.

Other than that, maybe this game isn't for you. If that's the case I'm sorry and best of luck.

12 hours ago, Ace Hansen said:

I read it out loud. But can't get past the black square on page 9.

Issuing orders

Perhaps this game is, in fact, just not for you...there are more complicated pieces of text in this game, as you can gather from the posts in this forum.

The black square says that Vader issues an order to himself and the speeder bikes. It says "issuing an order" means placing their order token next to the mini. It shows a picture of the minis with their tokens placed next to them. That is everything in the black square.

2 hours ago, Crawfskeezen said:

You've initially identified an issue, the community attempted to address it. Was it helpful, yes/no? Why wasn't it helpful, what didn't you still understand? Using quotes for specific passages of a post, highlights, underlining the pertinent passages are helpful. Saying words like "fuzzy" and "snow" don't help us identify the root issue.

This. All of this. It doesn't matter if you're 20 years old, 50 or 80 - if you can figure out how to make posts in a forum on a Web site, you can put words together to communicate clearly.

I almost thought that the original post was some sort of poem.

16 hours ago, Ace Hansen said:

Snow is an expression from before led-tv.

Have you ever seen "Back to the Future"

Black and White tv. If there wasn't a descent signal, all you got was "SNOW"

Well I am not getting that signal..... Sorry...

You mean static? 

Can I ask what other miniatures game you have played and understood that wasn't Xwing? Maybe we can relate it to that system as a foundation.

Been on a nine hour drive. So sorry, for not replying.

It may all help, when I get the time to look it all through.

I thank you all for the help so far.

To Jocke01...

If u smell troll, take a shower and brush your teeth.