Sign in to follow this  

I am about to start a campaign set at the end of the Clone Wars about a squad of ARC Troopers. Most of the era weapons have been portrayed with the exception of the DC-17 (Captain Rex's pistol). Wookieepedia says it's a heavy blaster pistol and better than the DC-15c Carbine in every respect. This is due to its portrayal in BF 2004 as the commando pistol. Based on the use in The Clone Wars, I'm thinking it's more of a light blaster pistol with accurate (How much would it cost to add that trait? I don't own Special Modifications yet.) . What do you think? How would this weapon be portrayed?

I'd just use default regular blaster pistol numbers and leave it at that.

I'll never understand how people always want to list Clone Wars gear as being above and beyond everything else, to the point that some gear and vehicles essentially negate the need for anything else ever.

@Ghostofman, it's not that I think All Clone Wars gear is superior, I just find the generic weapon system to be kinda boring. I'd rather find ways of distinguishing say the A280 and E11, even if they both qualify as blaster rifles. I just want the DC-17 to be unique. 

11 hours ago, Felswrath said:

I am about to start a campaign set at the end of the Clone Wars about a squad of ARC Troopers. Most of the era weapons have been portrayed with the exception of the DC-17 (Captain Rex's pistol). Wookieepedia says it's a heavy blaster pistol and better than the DC-15c Carbine in every respect. This is due to its portrayal in BF 2004 as the commando pistol. Based on the use in The Clone Wars, I'm thinking it's more of a light blaster pistol with accurate (How much would it cost to add that trait? I don't own Special Modifications yet.) . What do you think? How would this weapon be portrayed?

Just have it as a Hvy Blaster Pistol and add the Augmented Spin Barrel attachment with the Accurate Mod. Not cheap, almost 2k Cr but where there is a will there is a way.

5 hours ago, Felswrath said:

@Ghostofman, it's not that I think All Clone Wars gear is superior, I just find the generic weapon system to be kinda boring. I'd rather find ways of distinguishing say the A280 and E11, even if they both qualify as blaster rifles. I just want the DC-17 to be unique. 

Unique Clones? :)

6 hours ago, Felswrath said:

So ditch the Battlefront BS and reinvent the weapon in a fashion that better fits the bill.

Find other less obvious ways to make it stand out that don't by default make it the best weapon ever.

Offhand I'd say use normal pistol numbers. Dual wielded they'd easily WT Battledroids. So that it a sound place to start. Now let's consider improvements.

It's compact, but also clunky, so Accurate doesn't feel right. If anything inaccurate feels better... though I don't know that we want to go that route...

It's commonly called a "Commando pistol" though... So what would a Commando want in a pistol? Well real world Special Forces are known for liking the old 1911 because it's got stopping power and it's reliable. So let's play with that...

Why not try adding the Disorient 2 quality, and environmental sealing? 

Now we need to balance it out to keep it from replacing all other pistols...

That inaccurate thing was not a totally bad idea... Why not try this: It's short barrel and heavy design makes it good for up close work, but not at distance. Add 1 setback at ranges beyond short.

That makes it still good, but not as good in general. Cap it off with only 1 available HP. That way if a player wants to invest in one, they can make it pretty good, but at the same time you can't just strap three different attachments to it and make it a supergun.

Now let's round it out.

It's old, but not horribly uncommon. So give it a price around 500, and a rarity of 6ish.

So final TLDR numbers:

Price 500

Rarity 6

HP 1

Enc 1

Ranged: Light

Damage 6

Crit 3

Range Medium

Stun Setting, Disorient 2

Is immune to taking damage from water, dust, ect. +1 Setback to attacks beyond Short Range.

Needs some playtesting to make sure it's not too much... But try it out.

21 hours ago, Felswrath said:

Much like ships, though, weapons have only a few characteristics with a very limited range of acceptable values. There's only so much variety you can accomplish. A small tweak here or there might be all that's necessary, or you can re-skin an existing design to meet your needs without trying too hard to get what you wanted (while still maintaining balance).

19 minutes ago, SFC Snuffy said:

Much like ships, though, weapons have only a few characteristics with a very limited range of acceptable values. There's only so much variety you can accomplish. A small tweak here or there might be all that's necessary, or you can re-skin an existing design to meet your needs without trying too hard to get what you wanted (while still maintaining balance).

I would have agreed with this a few years ago, but by now we have so many examples of different kinds of everything that there's no reason not to stat up anything you'd like. It may not end up being unique (since there's a fair chance something like it has already been done), but if you don't know that, then it feels unique to you.

The uniqueness is best represented by attachments and mods, in my opinion. That way the weapon isn't only unique, but the player gets to decide exactly how it is unique. By all means give it an extra quality or two, but leaving it a few free hardpoints for the player to do with as they please is often more fun that an all statted-out superweapon with no flexibility.

And just a small warning about Wookieepedia; it's an awesome, invaluable resource for anyone playing the RPG, but keep in mind that a lot of the articles there are written by people with a particular fetish love for the subject at hand. When using Wookieepedia as a source for item and ship stats you need to have your fanboy filter dialled up to the max.