Smoothjedi

Force Suppress opposed Discipline check

So I am considering taking Suppress, and I wanted some clarification on a few questions I have.

First off, Range upgrades should just increase the range my allies can be from me to be protected, not range of attackers affected, correct? For example a force user at extreme range should still take penalties when using powers against any of my allies at short range from me. Am I right in this?

Second of all, if an adversary wanted to use a force power against me, would they be able to roll an unhindered opposed discipline check to see if they're even affected by Suppress at all before their actual attack? Seems to lose its luster if Suppress just be completely negated by high will/discipline before it does anything, which a lot of the force users seem to have in the book.

Not sure about the first one.

For the second, no Suppress isn't a Force power affecting them, but rather you attempting to short-circuit their own Force Powers.  So when they roll to use a Force Power on you (which should be an opposed roll anyway, since you're a PC) your Suppress adds to that roll.  They don't get a chance to resist it, because it's enhancing your resistance.  Make sense?

3 hours ago, Smoothjedi said:

So I am considering taking Suppress, and I wanted some clarification on a few questions I have.

First off, Range upgrades should just increase the range my allies can be from me to be protected, not range of attackers affected, correct? For example a force user at extreme range should still take penalties when using powers against any of my allies at short range from me. Am I right in this?

Pretty sure you are wrong on this point.  My reading of that rule is that range upgrades expand the range your ally can be from you and still be protected.  So, example 1: Your ally is at engaged range from you, fighting a Sith (both of you are dual fighting a sith warrior, like in Phantom Menace),  you trigger your power of Suppress, and since he's right next to you, he's protected.  

Example 2:  You are at medium range from your ally (darn energy barrier thingy locked in place before you could run through the hallway), and that ally is now fighting the same Sith at distance from you.  You trigger your range upgrade, allowing you to effect targets at medium range from you, which still allows you to protect your ally....assuming he is attacked with the Force, and not a lightsaber to the gut.

4 hours ago, Smoothjedi said:

Second of all, if an adversary wanted to use a force power against me, would they be able to roll an unhindered opposed discipline check to see if they're even affected by Suppress at all before their actual attack? Seems to lose its luster if Suppress just be completely negated by high will/discipline before it does anything, which a lot of the force users seem to have in the book.

As ErikModi commented above, pretty sure, assuming you have set yourself as the target of protection for the Suppress effect, all negative effects it would inflict on anyone targeting you would apply as normal.  What that entails of course varies widely depending on the upgrades you are using.  It might only apply a few failures to the skill check, or you might deny them force pips entirely.  The basic version of Suppress says it applies failures to skill checks made when using Force powers targeting you or ally.  Barring unusual circumstances, that is most likely referring to the Discipline check in most cases, since those are pretty much mandatory when targeting PC's.  Which does mean that any auto-failures you have generated by Suppress, would apply to that attempt of theirs to hit you with some kind of Force whammy.  That's the whole point of the power.   

So no, it would not be unopposed, as Suppress is pretty much designed to apply specifically to that very check, in it's most basic application.

6 hours ago, Smoothjedi said:

firstly you are correct, it doesnt matter if the person targetting your ally affected by Suppress is using the power at extreme planetary range, as long as your ally was in range when you used the power and remained in range while it has been active, then they benefit from the protection , IF THEY ARE TARGETTED by an offensive force power. (caps for emphasis)

secondly no, you never targetted your opponent with Suppress the only exception beingthe upgrade which allows you to force an opponent to uncommitt force die and that in itself calls for an opposed check anyway.

Edited by syrath

8 hours ago, syrath said:

firstly you are correct, it doesnt matter if the person targetting your ally affected by Suppress is using the power at extreme planetary range, as long as your ally was in range when you used the power and remained in range while it has been active, then they benefit from the protection , IF THEY ARE TARGETTED by an offensive force power. (caps for emphasis)

secondly no, you never targetted your opponent with Suppress the only exception beingthe upgrade which allows you to force an opponent to uncommitt force die and that in itself calls for an opposed check anyway.

Do you have a page number where it mentions opposed discipline checks only if targeted by a power versus just being affected by one?

12 hours ago, Smoothjedi said:

Do you have a page number where it mentions opposed discipline checks only if targeted by a power versus just being affected by one?

There isn't one , however the opposed check boxout specifically mentions being targeted by a check requires an opposed check if the target is a PC or a key NPC., And it is this wording, for supress you target your allies (except one upgrade)

19 minutes ago, syrath said:

There isn't one , however the opposed check boxout specifically mentions being targeted by a check requires an opposed check if the target is a PC or a key NPC., And it is this wording, for supress you target your allies (except one upgrade)

That's good enough, thanks!