Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Theia

Conversion

Has anyone thought of other universes to convert this to?  I could see the Earth-minbari war, or maybe BSG (Galactica’s location instead of the rebel base) (or do the first Ceylon war with the firefly game board), or something else (SAaB? Firefly’s Civil war?)

Are those asymmetric warfare scenarios?

What I really like about this game is that it simulates just that: a war in which the two sides do not have any parity. 

It seems to me that so much of our fiction likes to represent conventional symetric warfare, but then in some science-fiction/fantasy setting. Yet, so much of our IRL war-fighting experience in many decades is anything but. As someone who thinks that art is to society what dreams are to individuals, it seems to me that this is a mistaken way for us to creatively think about warfare as a means of coming to terms with reality.

... Okay that was off topic.

To answer your question: no, I have not.

On 7/2/2018 at 2:51 PM, Mikael Hasselstein said:

Are those asymmetric warfare scenarios?

What I really like about this game is that it simulates just that: a war in which the two sides do not have any parity. 

It seems to me that so much of our fiction likes to represent conventional symetric warfare, but then in some science-fiction/fantasy setting. Yet, so much of our IRL war-fighting experience in many decades is anything but. As someone who thinks that art is to society what dreams are to individuals, it seems to me that this is a mistaken way for us to creatively think about warfare as a means of coming to terms with reality.

... Okay that was off topic.

To answer your question: no, I have not.

Yes, in a way they are.  The Earth-Minbari war was a stand up fight, but one in which one power was monumentally superior, and the losers only survived because of a spiritual/genetic revelation by the conquerors.  Perhaps the aftermath of the Narn-Centauri war would be better, as the Narn ran an active resistance.  These are both Babylon 5 references.

BSG, after the initial attack by the Cylons, was a run-away and try to live, while occasionally giving your enemy a punch in the nose.

1 hour ago, Admiral Theia said:

Yes, in a way they are.  The Earth-Minbari war was a stand up fight, but one in which one power was monumentally superior, and the losers only survived because of a spiritual/genetic revelation by the conquerors.  Perhaps the aftermath of the Narn-Centauri war would be better, as the Narn ran an active resistance.  These are both Babylon 5 references.

BSG, after the initial attack by the Cylons, was a run-away and try to live, while occasionally giving your enemy a punch in the nose.

Yes, I am aware of them. Despite my reluctance to play the B5 game with you, I'm certainly a fan. I came very late to BSG, but did binge the whole thing just last year.

You're right - the Narn-Centauri war is asymmetric. BSG is not a really a war - it is when the genocide is over and there are but a few stragglers trying to get away.

I'm just afraid that they still don't make good scenarios for conversion. Plus! I like this game in the SW setting, and I'm not sure why we'd want a conversion in the first place. I could see the case being made to non-Star Wars fans, but why would you want to deal with ilk such as that?

Battlestar Galactica is a standalone group-traitor cooperative game and is pretty good, you should give it a try.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, Admiral Theia said:

Has anyone thought of other universes to convert this to?  I could see the Earth-minbari war, or maybe BSG (Galactica’s location instead of the rebel base) (or do the first Ceylon war with the firefly game board), or something else (SAaB? Firefly’s Civil war?)

By comparison, a much less asymmetric war - using the existing map and non-universe converison - the Clone Wars.