penpenpen

Less iconic Imperial starfighters

For plot reasons, I need suggestions for a type of starfighter that is operated by imperial forces locally on an occupied world (Saleucami) roughly 5 BBY. Preferrably nothing to iconically imperial, and not hyperspace capable. Essentially something older or local that has been pressed into service as this particular local garrison hasn't completely been upgraded to TIEs yet.

And no Z-95s or Y-wings. Too rebel-y.

According to the Star Wars wiki, the non-TIE Imperial ships are:

From that List, I would suggest the Alpha-3. Its a single-pilot craft with no hyperdrive and obviously Republic in origin, yet reminicient of the newer TIE line of starfighters. The ARC-170 could work, but having three crew as well as a hyperdrive is more Rebel Alliance than Imperial. And I doubt that an imperial garrison would have enough Jedi starfighters (ETA-2) to outfit a squadron.

The no hyperdrive requirement is a bit of an issue. Most of the equipment used by Imperial garrison forces had/have Hyperdrives because of their isolation and need to be self-sufficient. No hyperdrives was a later development for a more streamlined force as a cost saving measure.

V wings are pretty much the only option. They need a hyperdrive ring to jump and that could easily be just written off as being lost.

Edited by BadMotivator

5 minutes ago, ThreeBFour said:

Why is the price tag so huge? For 10,000 more you could buy 2 Firesprays

I didn't design the ship. But it is how much they cost when the first game stats for them were created in the Dark Empire Sourcebook for the WEG D6 SW RPG. 

On 7/1/2018 at 3:26 PM, Tramp Graphics said:

There's always the I-7 Howlrunner

That... is technically an option, but it would be an odd fit.  The Howlrunner was developed after the TIE Fighter, and honestly, probably doesn't exist yet.  V-Wings are good, and if they're backwater enough, maybe even Cloakshapes.  They're pre-Clone Wars, but they were Kuat made, so I could see the Empire buying their old stock and dumping it in fringe installations while they build up new supplies.