Sign in to follow this  
Buhallin

Is the RtNotZ storage as awful as I think it is?

Posted (edited)

Box is far too wide, and tall, even for sleeved cards and dividers. The dividers themselves are pretty, but full width to separate what will often be 3 or 4 cards seems like they’ll basically block each other.

Am I missing something here?

Edited by Buhallin

Haven't seen it yet.  What do you mean by too wide and too tall?  I would think that height wouldn't matter at all if you're storing this thing horizontally.  Is the box significantly wider than a sleeved card on it's side?  The pictures I've seen make it look pretty reasonable.

I’ve got everything double sleeved in it with FF sleeves (which are traditionally always a bit taller than other brands) and it all fits I fine with the cards horizontal.

Had to chuck the insert out as it didn’t leave enough space with everything double sleeved, but it’s easy enough to “limit” the length on your own anyway.

5 hours ago, KrisWall said:

Haven't seen it yet.  What do you mean by too wide and too tall? 

I haven't measured, but it feel like it's got nearly an inch too much space to both side and top.

It's like they didn't know what size their own games was going to be, what a useless box??? The box is certainly going to end up in my kids room fill with hot wheels cuz its clearly not meant for cards?  Dear FFG next time use a ruler???

Well now I'm interested: if they make the next same style box a different size, is that acceptable?  You'd end up with matching products of different sizes.

2 hours ago, Jobu said:

I agree with you on the box.  Its a poor fit for the cards.

I like the file drawer on the one side.

File drawer??? Not sure I get what you mean?

11 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Well now I'm interested: if they make the next same style box a different size, is that acceptable?  You'd end up with matching products of different sizes.

Its kinda junk no matter how you slice it. Im using folding white cardboard card boxes from the store. Putting on campaign in a single box makes no sense cuz you use the cards in other campaigns....Just poor planning. Not sure if the guys or gals who thought that one up even play this game??? Might have been put there to make it lookalike a value added element to boost price without actually adding value???

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

I'd rather have the new ones be usefully sized.  As it is, these very pretty boxes are likely going in the trash.

5 hours ago, Bibbles said:

File drawer??? Not sure I get what you mean?

Look at the art on the side that makes it look like a file drawer.  I like that art.

I don't have it, but maybe FFG designed it that way to fit cards sleeved in FFG sleeves since I know those are taller than other premium sleeves on the market? Or is there too much space even with FFG sleeves?

I have double-sleeved everything, and there's maybe 1/3 of an inch too much room when lying them horizontally. There's also definitely not enough depth in the little space they gave you. Flip the insert and there's too much room - maybe room for an extra 50 cards. So either way not a great storage for just the cycle. But without the insert at all, you have room for the entire cycle + Return, weaknesses, and all 3 PODs.

Posted (edited)

I don't mind the space on either side of the cards.  It's the five inches of empty space, with a cardboard filler, that I'm disappointed in.  If they make these the same size for a full cycle, it's still twice as big as it needs to be.

And if I use this, now I need this whole extra box to be sure I have the core encounter sets.

Edited by CSerpent

The space to the sides of the cards: minor annoyance.

The extra length: perhaps a bit much, but appreciate it.  I'll be using the extra space to hold the latest cycles cards as they come out.  Having them in one place together with the core encounters will make set up slightly faster

If they go the route of doing "Return to" for the other cycles, I could envision most of this space getting used with the newer cards.

Regarding the OP comment about dividers obscuring small sets: this isn't  unique to these dividers - pretty much anything other than tabbed dividers will have problems if there isn't much separation.

So...  since I won't be getting mine until later today...

Is it fair to say that storing the cards horizontally in standard "grey" FFG sleeves leaves somewhere around 1/2 inch of space to the side of the cards?  Seems wider than it needs to be, but not so wide that it'll cause a problem?

Also fair to say that the box is longer than it needs to be?  Again, seems like a non-issue because I have plenty of POD cards that will need storage.

I also have a 3D printer, so it's relatively easy to add custom inserts that hold the tokens and what not.

13 hours ago, Jobu said:

Look at the art on the side that makes it look like a file drawer.  I like that art.

I see it. Thanks...Its a beautiful box. I wish it had been the zip off a standard card storage box. I would love some nicely decorated boxes in standard sizes for this game. My set takes up two double width card boxes already.

Ok so I just phoned and complained to Asmodee. I also suggested that an industry standard sized card box would of made so much more sense, and been a real treat. I was a little harsh but the guy on the phone helped me compose the complaint and make it more reasonable sounding, great guy. 855-382-8880 will get you someone you can tell about your experience of the  "premium box and eighteen divider cards to house your complete Night of the Zealot campaign, keeping your treasured cards safe as you duck into dark alleys and dodge attacks from the things that lurk in Arkham's shadowed streets." that came with the add on.  If we ran down alleys and ducked with our cards in that box it would be like having them in a rock tumbler. They would be everywhere. My current Arkham Horror LCG is in two foldable long boxes with dividers that fit the card slots. Why couldn't it have been that??? Sorry I have no idea where the grey is coming from. 

11 hours ago, ricedwlit said:

Regarding the OP comment about dividers obscuring small sets: this isn't  unique to these dividers - pretty much anything other than tabbed dividers will have problems if there isn't much separation.

Well, yes.  Which is why they should have been tabbed dividers.  Placing the set symbol on the tab would have been both attractive and functional - I'm not sure many people know the set names anyway.

I understand why rectangular dividers are standard for things like fan-done ones.  They're a pain to print.  But you'd think that professionally printed and cut ones could have managed tabs.

5 hours ago, KrisWall said:

So...  since I won't be getting mine until later today...

Is it fair to say that storing the cards horizontally in standard "grey" FFG sleeves leaves somewhere around 1/2 inch of space to the side of the cards?  Seems wider than it needs to be, but not so wide that it'll cause a problem?

Also fair to say that the box is longer than it needs to be?  Again, seems like a non-issue because I have plenty of POD cards that will need storage.

I also have a 3D printer, so it's relatively easy to add custom inserts that hold the tokens and what not.

This is all accurate.  Its not unusable.  I wouldn't even use the word awful.  I would say its a poor fit for the cards.

I’m quite happy with it. Sure it’s a bit on the wide side but it looks really good. The index file style on the box end is a great idea and it’ll look really good when they make more for future campaigns.

Yes, they could have made tabs but future campaigns will have too many sets to make tabs practical. I don’t know the set names either but the rules tell you the names of the sets to gather up which may actually be easier than trying to figure out which symbol is which.

The box had to be that big in order to fit in with future campaign boxes but they could have made the filler adjustable and included index cards for the standalone adventures to fit in the box as well. Maybe they could make thsese in the future? 

If the boxes have some spare space after putting the full campaigns in, I’d like them to include a section to put all the rule booklets in. Maybe even better, make a nice book to go with each campaign with some short stories and all the rules for the campaign 

I am not upset that there is extra room (side to side) for the cards as it isn't that much room, and I can fill it up with the bags I use for the components.

And, then with the components out, it will be easier to grab cards.

Currently, I use a standard white cardboard card box, but when it is filled up all the way, it is touch to get them out.

There could be better solutions, but for a quick $10 solution, this is pretty good for a thick box and dividers (since the cost of a 60 card expansion is usually $15 and this was $25).

I'm really interested to read how people feel about this.  I still don't have mine (it's on waiting for me after I leave work), but I've assumed it to be the same as the Arkham Nights one, which I in turn assume is the same as the L5R GenCon release box.

arkhamnights_2017_prizes_updated.pngop175v_6_layout.png

I like the box, but do agree it's bigger than it needs to be.  I use my Arkham box to store the first cycle of L5R.  Admittedly an odd choice.  I can see how its size could be upsetting.  I just never expected such a strong reaction.  I'm not detracting from your outrage or trying to pacify you - I do that elsewhere, but I don't think it's warranted in this discussion.  I'm just interested in the surprising response.

I have to say: i love it.  The box feels very sturdy and the dividers look great. Sure, Tabbed dividers would have been a tad better eben though i am not sure if whether all symbols would fit or not.

The box has defenitely a standard size that is going to be used for future campaigns.

The only thing that bothers me is that they seem to have forgotten, that encounter sets are also being used by other campaigns...