Sign in to follow this  
Buhallin

Is the RtNotZ storage as awful as I think it is?

The box is sturdier/thicker than the one from Arkham Nights.

We got a flat sheet that you fold yourself (similar to when you buy the standard generic white card boxes you buy at many places).

2 hours ago, Duciris said:

I like the box, but do agree it's bigger than it needs to be.  I use my Arkham box to store the first cycle of L5R.  Admittedly an odd choice.  I can see how its size could be upsetting.  I just never expected such a strong reaction.  I'm not detracting from your outrage or trying to pacify you - I do that elsewhere, but I don't think it's warranted in this discussion.  I'm just interested in the surprising response.

I wouldn't say I'm outraged, it just seems like some really obvious design misses on a product that was truly trivial to get right.  And it's not even like it's a new product area - they've been handing out card boxes as prize support forever, which manage to be the right size for the cards.

Yes it is, seems to be three times longer than it should be.  A cube box would have been more appropriate or a better insert to store investigator cards too. What do we do with all the empty space underneath the insert? The box itself is very sturdy & good artwork though which is a plus.

I love this box, it does not just look great, but has enough room for a whole cycle like Dunwich or Carcosa in thick sleeves like FFG or dragon shield. I hope FFG will continue soon with the next cycles and boxes for player cards with motives of the classes. I'm so thankful you made the box so big. Thank you FFG
Those who do not sleeved their cards can house their deckboxes, basics weaknesses or all BGG's card-based instructions there or the tokens and the Chaosbag for the actual Campaign. 
Otherwise, the stand-alone scenarios fit in well there as well.

I just wish there would have been more dividers in it for all the card types of the starter... The box has more than enough room for all the cards. I had to fold the cardboard filler back in, as i realised that there are no separators for the remaining cards.

The more I think about it, the inch+ on the side lets you get your finger in there to grab the cards without damaging them.

46 minutes ago, Jobu said:

The more I think about it, the inch+ on the side lets you get your finger in there to grab the cards without damaging them.

Absolutely! I used to have mine and still have the other expansions in a long wooden box from Hobby Lobby, I painted it and glued pictures to it but the cards fit exactly and too tight to get a good grip on them. 

0F39A13B-BEFA-4ADB-B9F7-7228186EB6C3.jpeg

Posted (edited)

One good thing to keep in mind about wood boxes: the cards are about as tall as a wine bottle is wide. Anything that will fit a wine bottle will fit cards sideways. 

Edited by Eldan985

I'm warming to the box.  But I do still wish it was easier to open -- no thumb notches means you have to set gravity against friction to get it open, and I think it's going to wear or scratch quickly doing that.

I got the box and I now understand the complaints.

It's not bad, exactly.  It's just awkward.  I'm not sure what the intent is for the box.  It's way to big to house the Night of the Zealot campaign and related cards if you take out the insert.  Leaving in the insert feels like a waste of time.

I'm thinking that this sized box will be perfect when companies like Broken Token or Go7Gaming come out with the inevitable wooden inserts.  That's really what I'm waiting for.

17 hours ago, tsuruki said:

Heyo! Big fan of the box here, just wanted to fight the stream. Thanks FFG.

I think most people are on your side of the fence here.

I was one of the awkward folks, but am warming to it now.  I disagree with people who use terms like awful and junk to describe it.

I think the issue is that the marketing seemed like it was emphasising the box as a storage solution for cards, and the box doesn't feel like it was designed with that in mind and isn't really an ideal solution for that. Not that it's unusable for that purpose but if that was the primary design purpose it would be trivial to dimension it better. It's no skin off my back, as I already have card storage, and I'm probably going to use the RttNotZ box for storing tokens and rulesheets, but I can't help feeling that there would be far less negative blowback if the box being usable as storage was a nice little bonus rather than one of the stated selling-points.

4 hours ago, Allonym said:

the box doesn't feel like it was designed with that in mind and isn't really an ideal solution for that. Not that it's unusable for that purpose but if that was the primary design purpose it would be trivial to dimension it better.

This.

Card storage is pretty well established.  The dimensions which are common are common for a reason - they allow minimal slop on the cards, and no risk of cards getting turned and bent.  There's no extra space at the sides because you don't pick them up from the sides, and even if you were going to try, one finger doesn't work - you end up having to wedge the cards against the opposite side and turn them up.  That's why you leave enough gap to pick them up from the top.  Which, incidentally, you can easily do without risking damaging shifts.  Extra space on the side adds to that, meaning if you leave enough to pick up from the top you increase the chance of damaging cards.

The gap between "standard" and "awful" is admittedly small, but focusing on the small gap misses the point.  There is no advantage to the extra space, or the slide-top design.  If I were looking at two equal-cost card boxes side by side and had to choose one, I'd take a standard BCW over this every single time.  It is strictly worse than a standard box in every way.  It doesn't really matter at that point whether the gap is large or small - it's a bad box.

The ironic thing is that FFG knows how to design boxes.  They've been providing deck boxes as prize support for most of their games forever, even ones that don't really need them (like X-wing).  Those boxes are appropriately sized, extract from the top with minimal slop, and have tuck flaps on the top.  I'm baffled as to why they felt the need to diverge so badly.

And the dividers...  Bleagh.  I can only assume they were conceived of by someone who'd never actually tried to sort out the sets for this game.

I quite like the box. Serves my needs well. It's a bit unfortunate that standardizing the boxes for longer campaigns (I assume) means it doesn't fit Zealot quite as well, but it's a good space to keep standalones or player decks or what have you.

The complaints about width and depth seem overblown to me. My cards (sleeved) and dividers stay oriented perfectly well, including routinely tipping the thing vertically (and other angles) for transport, and I really appreciate the flexibility of being able to fit deck boxes inside, as well. Likewise, the dividers are just fine for me.

Looks great, it's sturdy. Pretty much what I was hoping for. At this price point I definitely wanted something more than just that standard OP deck/card boxes, and this fits the bill.

On 7/3/2018 at 2:26 PM, Buhallin said:

And the dividers...  Bleagh.  I can only assume they were conceived of by someone who'd never actually tried to sort out the sets for this game.

What's wrong with the dividers? They seem perfectly adequate.

49 minutes ago, jayelbird said:

What's wrong with the dividers? They seem perfectly adequate.

Most of the encounter sets have very few cards, which means the dividers end up practically on top of each other.  You can't see any of the titles.  They REALLY should have been tabbed.

I am looking at the box, and wondering if it's the Arkham Horror equivalent to the Big Geeky Box for Smash-Up.  Which would have been fine, and could have held all the encounter decks for the whole game for a while, except that there weren't dividers for anything other than this, and the Core Game.

On 7/5/2018 at 5:29 AM, Raahk said:

Speaking of Dividers, has anyone found sleeves that fit the dividers?

I've been looking, only thing I've found are Ultra Pro post card sleeves but then you'd have to cut the down to size. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Postcard-Sleeves44-Sleeves/dp/B001A3BEW4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1531006714&sr=8-4&keywords=postcard+sleeves

17 hours ago, rangerdrakeson said:

I am looking at the box, and wondering if it's the Arkham Horror equivalent to the Big Geeky Box for Smash-Up.  Which would have been fine, and could have held all the encounter decks for the whole game for a while, except that there weren't dividers for anything other than this, and the Core Game.

It cannot hold everything, especially as everything will continue to get bigger. It can hold more than it is presently designed to hold, because they used a standard box size that they can release in later Return products to hold a full campaign cycle.