Boom Owl

What Was The Most Broken Thing In 1.0?

17 hours ago, BVRCH said:

latest?cb=20170815191103

I up-voted the original post of this, but it wasn't enough for me. I really hate everything about harpoons.

·       They are under-costed for their value

·       The accuracy (don’t have to spend the lock) is insanely good

·       They not only provide extra damage to the intended target, but also SPLASH damage to surrounding targets

·       (Because of the above points)They make most every other ordinance obsolete

·       They are so good that they are a “must have” upgrade for squads that can equip them

I’ll stop writing before I apply “morally repugnant” as a descriptor to a card for a fun game that I play…

The Contracted Scout, without a doubt, was the strongest piece ever introduced into the game.

The Twin Laser Turret, in conjunction with VI and strong high PS repositioning, was responsible for turning the game into a dice-off, since skill was no longer required.

Harpoons were responsible for turning the dice-off into a one turn dice-off, which again in conjunction with VI made the first person to roll dice the winner.

On 6/28/2018 at 1:38 AM, Keffisch said:

You are absolutely right, Han Solo (+ Engine Upgrade & the plethora of passive modifiers).
Han started it all.

Han Solo was in wave 2 never got big until all the reposistioning at pilot skill 9 became a thing. Once Whisper hit the table dials didn't matter because you could always move out of arc after all dials been revealed. The only firing arc that could catch them, was well no firing arc.

You forget Han Solo and C-3PO were out and got stomped by the TIE Swarm. You have to go back to the root of the problem an that is what removed the uncertainty in the game (movement after reviled dials, auto hit/evade, chose your own damage card).

14 hours ago, Astech said:

The Contracted Scout, without a doubt, was the strongest piece ever introduced into the game.

Really?  Not Manaroo -- with an unbelievably powerful non-range-restricted ability -- for only 2 points more?

The Twin Laser Turret, in conjunction with VI and strong high PS repositioning, was responsible for turning the game into a dice-off, since skill was no longer required.

TLT is fine on most platforms.  It's only one pilot and one other platform that makes it broken.  (Both caveats break the OP's rules.)

Harpoons were responsible for turning the dice-off into a one turn dice-off, which again in conjunction with VI made the first person to roll dice the winner.

Harpoons are 1 point under-costed and surrealistically stupid and complicated.  It's reasonable to despise them for those reasons.  But they're not b0rken.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

4 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but the TIE/ln swarm in all it’s varieties has to be up for consideration.

I don't agree, but I respect where you are coming from with this one. You are just spamming out ships with this build, but it's also super thematic. I'd half-counter this by saying the crack swarm was the real offender.  You usually had 2 less ships in that and ended up doing waaaay more damage. 

Whisper never won Worlds, Han did how many times? Paul built his last World winning Han to beat all the other Hans. Whisper was tough, but I never saw the OP of her compared to the Fat Hans of the time, especially Fat Han with regen Corran.

7 minutes ago, RynoZero said:

Original cloaking/decloaking, an entire game mechanic they had to nerf and then never reuse as a ship ability. 

Cloaking was never that broken. All the whining from Rebel players was broken. Cloak was not on the same level of Triple scouts, Miranda- TLT, Dengaroo, etc. Yes it was good and semi-popular, but it was not Fat Han, Miranda, Triple Scout easy to fly. I never saw one battle report of a SC, Regional, National or Worlds where Tie Phantom made up more than 1-2 of the top 10. 

34 minutes ago, Cusm said:

[Cloak/Decloak] was good and semi-popular, but it was not Fat Han, Miranda, Triple Scout easy to fly. I never saw one battle report of a SC, Regional, National or Worlds where Tie Phantom made up more than 1-2 of the top 10. 

Something doesn't have to dominate to be broken.  Black holes don't dominate the universe, but God help anything that crosses their event horizons.  Cloak/Decloak caused Fat Han, and indirectly nearly everything broken that's followed.

It's even more indirect than most people realize, because it wasn't even Whisper that was the initial catalyst, but rather Echo.  In a game against a skilled Echo player, you simply had zero chance in a game without PS9+ ships ... usually turrets.  Echo was simply too maneuverable.

So people started bringing PS 9.

So Echo was phased out in favor of Whisper.

So people started bringing PS 10+ ... and things went downhill from there.  We're still seeing ripples from Echo.

So if pre-nerf Cloak/Decloak counts, under the OP's rules, I'll change my response to that.  Otherwise I'm still good saying Manaroo.

Edited by Jeff Wilder

As a group - turrets.

No idea what FFG was thinking in adding a whole class weapon type which didn't care about maneuvering - to a game based around maneuvering.

Specifically - Dash.

Can go anywhere and shoot almost anywhere and in any direction with one of the hardest hitting attacks in the game. Worst NPE in 1.0.

11 hours ago, Cusm said:

Whisper never won Worlds, Han did how many times? Paul built his last World winning Han to beat all the other Hans. Whisper was tough, but I never saw the OP of her compared to the Fat Hans of the time, especially Fat Han with regen Corran.

Neither did Atanni mindlink yet the calls for that to get nerfed was through the roof, and Whisper was higher as it was in the final table. Mindlink didn't get past the top 4.

On 6/28/2018 at 3:28 AM, Warlon said:

PWTs.

Let us not forget that token stacking was a means to counter these. Then when even token stacking was not enough, palp and autothrusters. Then when those even weren't enough on a large enough scale (especially after the much needed palp nerf), tlt to weed out fat hans and the like. And after that, in a desperate yet successful bid to make arcs relevant to people who were not B-tier or higher and after the bomb-pocalypse designed to autodamage past the silly defenses of soontirs and x 7s came harpoons, Quickdraw, Rey, and Kylo--all amidst a release schedule that became more absurd in power and cheapness. Flying bombs! Infinite flying bonbs! For a combined cost of a cluster mine! Could any of these mechanics be outplayed? Certainly. But if we lived in a world where an automatic infinite time on target did not exist, then we wouldn't need the bandaids that proved themselves problematic on their own. And then there are things like engine upgrade or bomber generator, which seem cool and fair on strictly arc-locked ships. But once a ship that doesn't do any work for a shot gets them, disaster strikes. The problem gets even more exasperated when VI is introduced.

1.0, as fun as it is, was not designed to get as big as it did. Thus, its faulty foundation of the PWT helped build a broken game that did not comfortably go from casual to competitive. 2.0 should fix that in many ways, but the most touted thing is arc-dodging turrets, and there must be a reason for that.

As an aside, the Falcon expansion includes veteran instincts, engine upgrade, a means for a 1 agi ship to take a 1.0 evade, and basically gunner.

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

Neither did Atanni mindlink yet the calls for that to get nerfed was through the roof, and Whisper was higher as it was in the final table. Mindlink didn't get past the top 4.

There was only one difference between pre-nerf phantoms and Fat Han at the time - Fat Han was good against everything, and Whisper was only good against things PS 9 or lower. Whisper was ridiculously strong - stronger even than Han - but unreliable in high PS matchups, hence why Han won out. Han was great, but a lot of things worked against him. Whisper was amazing, and only Han worked against her. Her effect on the meta was enormous in comparison.

In terms of effect on the meta, Mindlink was above either. It provided hands down the best squad efficiency in the game, with the best reliability, at one of the lowest costs, to more frames than anything else. It had no weaknesses, and was full of strengths. The same goes for the JM5K - the only ship to win worlds twice.