4 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Alright!  I just heard about how the Mantis are finally getting a strong, long-anticipated character!  Now we're finally going to...<sees spoiler image>  Oh.  It's just some guy equipped to harvest rice twice as quickly as lesser men.  <yawn>  Call me when yumi are involved.

I'm sorry, you'd be looking for the Wasp at the moment for that.  I always preferred the Alliance of independent minor clans to the Mantis strong-arming the smaller ones into becoming vassals.

23 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

I see you haven't met my family yet? Meet the Kaito... ;)

Actually, Phoenix are my current main deck while waiting for Wasp!  ^_^

And yes, I hope Kaito Kosori is indicative of how other ranged characters will work in this edition.

Just now, Soshi Saibankan said:

Is there a Scorpion Shugenja deck that could use My Ancestor's Strength? I can see it being used as a Pol pump. Or would Phoenix be the go-to for that type of deck?

Since it's 'set', could it change Sinister Soshi's stats? 

Pretty sure even the dashes can not be changed. It says in the rules that dashes can not be modified in any manner. Though I could be wrong as this is kind of a new thing that just cropped up.

On 6/27/2018 at 4:58 PM, Schmoozies said:

Yup

Which is yet another reason why this game is inferior to the old one. Too many rickety combos and superfluous interactions only barely mask the underlying problems that make this game not fun at all. No one plays it anymore in my area and it is on a wait and see mode. Another sign of a bad game: not really playable from launch. Also locking out the community from competition by keeping kotei behind a convention pay wall, killing the old TO system, Ignoring valid criticisms and destroying the existing tournament culture will lead to an even more stagnant meta.  Pretty but impersonal, like a good looking woman writing you a parking ticket. 

11 minutes ago, Isawa Syd said:

Which is yet another reason why this game is inferior to the old one. Too many rickety combos and superfluous interactions only barely mask the underlying problems that make this game not fun at all. No one plays it anymore in my area and it is on a wait and see mode. Another sign of a bad game: not really playable from launch........

Yeah the original game was perfect from the get go.  Not being able to play cards because your opponent dropped you below the necessary honor requirements was a great gaming experience.  LSD decks dominating competitive play until the first expansion came out was way more balanced than what we have now.  Being able to move into a battle at the end and just win was nowhere near the level of jank we have in the new game.........

Sorry, my sarcasm button got stuck.  

Let me see if this fixes it......

I agree that the Organized Play structure needs quite a bit of work of its going help the growth of the game instead of hinder it.

Yep all better

1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Yeah the original game was perfect from the get go.  Not being able to play cards because your opponent dropped you below the necessary honor requirements was a great gaming experience.  LSD decks dominating competitive play until the first expansion came out was way more balanced than what we have now.  Being able to move into a battle at the end and just win was nowhere near the level of jank we have in the new game.........

Sorry, my sarcasm button got stuck.  

Let me see if this fixes it......

I agree that the Organized Play structure needs quite a bit of work of its going help the growth of the game instead of hinder it.

Yep all better

Fair. But at least it had smoother mechanics. The biggest problem is competitive and the very apparent lack of fun in this new version. And as far as movement shenanigans that was the game it was an actual war with moving armies, a beautiful and elegant dance that is now just draw cards until you happen to win accidentally because this game has very little actual strategy. We deserve better than a soulless IP cash grab

3 minutes ago, Isawa Syd said:

Fair. But at least it had smoother mechanics. The biggest problem is competitive and the very apparent lack of fun in this new version. And as far as movement shenanigans that was the game it was an actual war with moving armies, a beautiful and elegant dance that is now just draw cards until you happen to win accidentally because this game has very little actual strategy. We deserve better than a soulless IP cash grab

I'm gonna guess you haven't played very much of the new game based on your statements here.  Tell you what since you're so unhappy why not just move along to a game that will apparently scratch your itch or do you so like being edgy and contrarian that you can't stop yourself from chiming up?

6 minutes ago, Isawa Syd said:

For a while you were making thoughtful comments, but now you just seem to be talking about some imaginary game that you're playing in your head.  I'm sorry, but welcome to my ignore list.  Goodbye.

I am expressing my opinion. This is allowed. The only way things get better is if we communicate how we feel. We may not believe the same thing when it comes to this subject but we’re still fellow humans. I haven’t been on this forum in months. It’s sad to see it seems to be less about discussion of poor mechanics and more about shilling for a poorly designed game. L5r has its problems for sure but don’t forget celestial edition, that was the fairest it ever was for all clans involved. As a Phoenix player I am very disappointed at the OP nature of their various builds, especially since it looks like we’ll be getting shorter release windows just to make it a multi clan game. Right now it just feels like checkers and the game used to be chess

4 minutes ago, Isawa Syd said:

Sorry but there was nothing elegant about Traversable Terrain into an empty province.

It's clear your bias is for the old game.  I loved the old game and still consider it one of my favorite games of all time.  There is a reason that I played it for 20+ years.  

Separating all the fun times I had with my friends while flipping cards, and looking at the old game objectively, I believe it's not nearly as good of game as the LCG.

All games have flaws and the LCG is no exception to this.  If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the LCG every time.  

2 minutes ago, Isawa Syd said:

I am expressing my opinion. This is allowed. The only way things get better is if we communicate how we feel. We may not believe the same thing when it comes to this subject but we’re still fellow humans. I haven’t been on this forum in months. It’s sad to see it seems to be less about discussion of poor mechanics and more about shilling for a poorly designed game. L5r has its problems for sure but don’t forget celestial edition, that was the fairest it ever was for all clans involved. As a Phoenix player I am very disappointed at the OP nature of their various builds, especially since it looks like we’ll be getting shorter release windows just to make it a multi clan game. Right now it just feels like checkers and the game used to be chess

Remember o5r Dueling before Focus Pools? Or heck, even with them? Orochi Raiding? Crane Solitaire? Moto Chagatai Exp4? Crab negation? Lion swarm? Bushido victory? These were fun, and better design than what they've got going on now??

Just now, twinstarbmc said:

Remember o5r Dueling before Focus Pools? Or heck, even with them? Orochi Raiding? Crane Solitaire? Moto Chagatai Exp4? Crab negation? Lion swarm? Bushido victory? These were fun, and better design than what they've got going on now??

Sure there were problems but at least it was interesting most of the time. Like I said it just isn’t fun anymore but deckbuilding isn’t  still enjoyable so there’s that. 

p

5 minutes ago, Isawa Syd said:

Again I feel like you're romantacizing the good old days a bit too much.

If you want to have a discussion about old vs new mechanics then by all means start one up....... But that is not what you're doing so far.

3 minutes ago, Isawa Syd said:

Sure there were problems but at least it was interesting most of the time. Like I said it just isn’t fun anymore but deckbuilding isn’t  still enjoyable so there’s that. 

p

Had you played the AEG version since Day 1? I didn't. I played from Gold through the end of Samurai. Point is, FFG's L5R hasn't even been around for a year. With the pace of releases, they're still working out the kinks, and will be for a while now. Give it time. If deckbuilding isn't fun for you, make it fun! Make stupid decks with dumb combination. Try building a Unicorn deck that wins, that should be a fun challenge.

6 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

Had you played the AEG version since Day 1? I didn't. I played from Gold through the end of Samurai. Point is, FFG's L5R hasn't even been around for a year. With the pace of releases, they're still working out the kinks, and will be for a while now. Give it time. If deckbuilding isn't fun for you, make it fun! Make stupid decks with dumb combination. Try building a Unicorn deck that wins, that should be a fun challenge.

I have hope which is why I still check in from time to time. I actually still like the deckbuilding as that hasn’t really changed too much, and is the same for every game more or less. but the rest of the game proper feels vanilla and awkward with too many moving parts. Tokens for instance just get in the way. The honor dial system is bonkers. Too much poker not enough Rokugan. I think that fate was a decent idea but not having a real economy kind of makes it moot. 

2 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Old5R was very much a deckbuilder's game......and I think that's about all you need to say to support the claim that the new game is designed better because it's built to allow the players to determine the outcome with good and bad play instead of deckbuilding and RNG.

Fair. Which is probably tied into why I don’t enjoy this one despite its massive promise. But the game itself isn’t fun for me yet and I can’t get any old timers back because it’s just too janky and different. Dishonor and honor players have a small corner now and enlightenment, the heart of Rokugani culture, is gone. I’ve heard it said they tore out the spirit of l5r and it is hard to argue against that point. Ffg seems more interested in player’s money than their enjoyment which seems counterintuitive for longevity. There is room to grow but the box they put the mechanics in is limiting and eventually the game will be stuck against the lid of that box. Basically my favorite metaphor is this: l5r was a bonsai that got cut back to the roots and is now growing back withered and crooked. It can one day be a beautiful tree but for now it is struggling and the gardeners seem unaware of this fact.     I’m all for mechanical changes that make sense- this game feels like it was purposeful in its design limitations- a game of netrunner with an Asian skin. And if I wanted to play netrunner or thrones I would, but I don’t. But yeah going back is out of the question now but I’d like to see 2nd edition as more of the best parts of both games, giving us a fair l5r in the sense that all the cards are available to everyone, not locked behind a rarity paywall.

4 minutes ago, llamaman88 said:

Did I miss the Lion creature?
Crab- nezumi, Crane- Tengu, Dragon- Troll, Lion-???, Phoenix- Ningyo, Scorpion- Zokujin, Unicorn- Naga. 

It'll be somewhere in Elements Unbound. The preview article for that pack mentions three creatures being in it, but only showed the Kenku and Zokujin.

17 hours ago, llamaman88 said:

Did I miss the Lion creature?
Crab- nezumi, Crane- Tengu, Dragon- Troll, Lion-???, Phoenix- Ningyo, Scorpion- Zokujin, Unicorn- Naga. 

Lion will probably be Kitsu in elements unbound.