PanchoX1

2ND e CORE SET UNBOXING!

2 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

What? So he doesn’t lose any dice until he gets 3 then he loses 3 green dice? That seems unreasonably chunky.

Nope. Any ship with a tractor token rolls 1 less defence dice, but only 1. The agility loss doesn't stack anymore.

1 hour ago, DR4CO said:

Nope. Any ship with a tractor token rolls 1 less defence dice, but only 1. The agility loss doesn't stack anymore.

My error, I thought it required a ship to be Tractored for the malus to apply. Upon review this is not the case. 

10 hours ago, TreebeardTheEnt said:

Dyslexia. I have to memorize spellings because the rules don’t make sense to me. So if it’s not on the list I’ve memorized I spell phonically. 

Me too! If you ever want a good insight into spelling and its origins I really enjoyed "Accommodating Broccoli in the Cemetery".

and just to prove how absurd the English language is when the person at Google responsible for posting the web page for the preview of the book, couldn't even spell any of the words in the title of the book! see below link text:

https://books.google.im/books/about/Accomodating_Brocolli_in_the_Cemetary.html?id=EyRw5ZxY-_sC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

For those not averse in the art of rule mnemonics based spelling. You have to remember use things like "You have 1 collar and 2 socks to spell neCeSSary"

~EDIT I miss spoke

Edited by ghotio

9 minutes ago, ghotio said:

For those not averse in the art of rule based spelling. You have to remember things like "You have 1 collar and 2 socks to spell neCeSSary"

I think I might be using that.  it will be neccessary for me in order to not spell it with two C's (hmm.  nec-essary, not nec-cessary).

1 hour ago, ghotio said:

Me too! If you ever want a good insight into spelling and its origins I really enjoyed "Accommodating Broccoli in the Cemetery".

and just to prove how absurd the English language is when the person at Google responsible for posting the web page for the preview of the book, couldn't even spell any of the words in the title of the book! see below link text:

https://books.google.im/books/about/Accomodating_Brocolli_in_the_Cemetary.html?id=EyRw5ZxY-_sC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

For those not averse in the art of rule based spelling. You have to remember things like "You have 1 collar and 2 socks to spell neCeSSary"

This is a common misconception, English, in fact, doesn't have any spelling rules. It is a logographic system, like Chinese and Japanese, but more messy and not nearly as aesthetic, and to make things worse not only the English letters decievfuly resmble words written in alphabetic languages (with which it has nothing in common), even within this writing system very similar characters often sound completely different, off the top of my head: compare the letter"query" and the letter "queue"... and vice versa with "right" and "write".

As a child I was led to believe that English is an easy language to learn, but the more I learned the more obvious it became that I have been bamboozled. How is Chinese hard with just a few thousand characters when English has 250 000?

Edited by eMeM

2 hours ago, eMeM said:

This is a common misconception, English, in fact, doesn't have any spelling rules. It is a logographic system, like Chinese and Japanese, but more messy and not nearly as aesthetic, and to make things worse not only the English letters decievfuly resmble words written in alphabetic languages (with which it has nothing in common), even within this writing system very similar characters often sound completely different, off the top of my head: compare the letter"query" and the letter "queue"... and vice versa with "right" and "write".

As a child I was led to believe that English is an easy language to learn, but the more I learned the more obvious it became that I have been bamboozled. How is Chinese hard with just a few thousand characters when English has 250 000?

Well there's learning to read/write a language, and there's learning to speak it.  I'm a uni-lingual english speaker, so I'm not objective on this, but the languages commonly spoken in China seem very hard to speak, with intonation completely changing the meaning of words. 

It's true English spelling doesn't make that much sense.  The rules are spottily applied, and for the most part one just memorizes.  So for example, the word 'freight' vs 'frate' doesn't seem like a 'rules' mistake to me.  I don't think there's any rule that says 'freight' should be spelled like the word 'eight', but 'late' should be spelled like 'ate'.  You have to have seen and memorized that freight is spelled freight.

Anyway, isn't there a spell checker that underlines your mistakes it red?  There is on my end.  Not sure if it's a feature of the webpage or my browser...

2 hours ago, eMeM said:

This isn't necessarily true. English has rules, but they vary based on what language to word was originally derived from because english cannibalizes from other languages like Hannibal Lector. That doesn't mean it's less confusing for people who don't spend their lives studying it.

9 hours ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

Well, there were the Celts, then the Anglo-Saxons + some Norse, then the Normans with French and a stronger influx of Latin, then came Caxton and his Dutch printing press, then....

Plus some of the founders decided to change the spelling of words just to be different from England.

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

This isn't necessarily true. English has rules, but they vary based on what language to word was originally derived from because english cannibalizes from other languages like Hannibal Lector. That doesn't mean it's less confusing for people who don't spend their lives studying it.

I tell my 3rd and 1st grader all the time that the only true rule of English is that something will always break the rules of English :)

2 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

This. 

The other issue is that some of the current spellings were codified at a time that some words were actually uttered differently. “Ghost” is spelled with a “gh” because people used to say it with that back of the mouth throat clearing sound used in Yitish, German, and many other languages.

All languages change over time; due to various historical factors like England being populated/conquered by folks of various language groups, the use of Latin in the Catholic Church, and The Church’s tense relationship with scientific endeavors (which is what brought so much Greek into English), the language has become very (wonderfully) murky. 

A great thing for people who like big thesaruses!

1 hour ago, piznit said:

I tell my 3rd and 1st grader all the time that the only true rule of English is that something will always break the rules of English :)

Early each school year, I did my “The history of why English is so messed up” lesson with my upper-grade elementary students.  ? 

14 hours ago, ObiWonka said:

*unboxes second edition core set*

*only shows everything we already know and nothing more*

...sigh...

Really the main thing he could show that is not fully known is the rule-book. And this video isn't just for people that hound spoilers, it's for anyone who's interested in the new game with any level of knowledge of the game.

1 hour ago, Sciencius said:

Am I the only one who is a little sad, that the only difference between R2D2 (the one and only, and gameplaywise unique) and the generic R2 is, 3 charges versus 2 charges? 

He’s just an R2 unit with a bit of experience. What did you want him to do?  Non-R2 stuff?

Came here looking for X-Wing Second Edition rules and only found English language rules.

So, to stay on topic, I find that using words that I misspell frequently as passwords really forces me to learn them better. The first few days sucks, but then it's in there! Hurray for ever changing company passwords!

2 hours ago, Sciencius said:

Am I the only one who is a little sad, that the only difference between R2D2 (the one and only, and gameplaywise unique) and the generic R2 is, 3 charges versus 2 charges? 

I’m dissapointed as well. R2D2 is special. He saves the day. I thought he was fine in 1.0 and wouldn’t mind him being unlimited in 2.0, but costed appropriately. 

12 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

What? So he doesn’t lose any dice until he gets 3 then he loses 3 green dice? That seems unreasonably chunky.

No, not exactly. At 22:16 in the video, you can see the instructions for tractor beam tokens. A fully "Tractored" ship can be moved around using the 1 straight to boost or barrel roll the ship. 

The rules for how tractor tokens impact defense dice are found around the middle of the left page.

"During the engagement phase, a ship with at least one tractor token rolls 1 fewer defense dice."  This kinda sucks. This means you can throw up to 4 tractor tokens on to a ship, but it will roll only one fewer defense dice.  Stacking tractor tokens in 2.0 doesn't seem like a good idea unless you are trying to move a bigger ship around. 

54 minutes ago, BDrafty said:

No, not exactly. At 22:16 in the video, you can see the instructions for tractor beam tokens. A fully "Tractored" ship can be moved around using the 1 straight to boost or barrel roll the ship. 

The rules for how tractor tokens impact defense dice are found around the middle of the left page.

"During the engagement phase, a ship with at least one tractor token rolls 1 fewer defense dice."  This kinda sucks. This means you can throw up to 4 tractor tokens on to a ship, but it will roll only one fewer defense dice.  Stacking tractor tokens in 2.0 doesn't seem like a good idea unless you are trying to move a bigger ship around. 

Token stacking in almost all regards seems to be either less valuable or less possible in second edition, and that's a good thing.