Sign in to follow this  
Teknikal

Potential new player - needing more info

I am in love with the Arkham Horror LCG. Always heard that the LOTR LCG was good and it helped shape what AH:LCG is.

With that AH:LCG has dramatically shelved a lot of games for me and I recently as of yesterday looked at the limited edition version and got interested.

1. What do I actually need to get started? I checked CSI Inc and they don't have core set in stock. I haven't shopped around but I will after I get some responses.

2. The Limited Edition on the site allows for 3.. Anyone know if you need multiples of this? Is one sufficient enough or do we not know?

3. How does this game play as a 4 player game? I saw it was up to 4 but mainly it was 2? I'm confused.

Thanks for your help in advance! I hope to gain some insight into this

The Collector's Edition you probably saw is a crossover between the physical tabletop game, and the digital card game based off Lord of the Rings. For $99, you get both Core Sets, essentially. If you're planning on playing the physical cards only, just look for the LOTR:LCG Core Set. They're around most game stores and online quite readily. For that price, you can get 3 copies, which is what you need for a complete playset.

That being said, you can survive on 1 Core, though that only supports 2p. You'll need a second for 4p. But every other expansion after the Core has a full set of cards and you'll only ever need one copy of each of those.

6 hours ago, Teknikal said:

How does this game play as a 4 player game? I saw it was up to 4 but mainly it was 2?

Many players play with different amounts. I play primarily solo. Many people play "two-handed" controlling two decks as if they were two people (not cheating). Three and four players games are great too, if you have a gaming group, though it might not be as easy as with two players or two-handed.

6 hours ago, Teknikal said:

I am in love with the Arkham Horror LCG. Always heard that the LOTR LCG was good and it helped shape what AH:LCG is.

With that AH:LCG has dramatically shelved a lot of games for me and I recently as of yesterday looked at the limited edition version and got interested.

1. What do I actually need to get started? I checked CSI Inc and they don't have core set in stock. I haven't shopped around but I will after I get some responses.

2. The Limited Edition on the site allows for 3.. Anyone know if you need multiples of this? Is one sufficient enough or do we not know?

3. How does this game play as a 4 player game? I saw it was up to 4 but mainly it was 2? I'm confused.

Thanks for your help in advance! I hope to gain some insight into this

1. You will need either the core set or, by all accounts, the collectors edition. It appears that the collector's edition has everything that you need to play a 2-player game.

2. 1 core set supports 2 players. With a full card pool, you can easily build decks for 4 players, but you will be missing enough cardboard to handle 4-players. (However, you don't technically need the cardboard, especially if you are willing to use custom tokens to replace the cardboard in the first place)

3. I have only played it as a 4-player game on a few occasions, but it's been quite fun. My preferred method of play is two-handed - where I control 2 decks as if I were 2 players, because I like building decks with synergy between them and experiencing that first-hand. A 4-player game is much longer, and is a completely different experience in terms of how the game feels. But I've liked every player count I've played the game with.

I believe you would need just one Collector ‘s edition.  Unsure of which cards are in there.  The coreset has a lot of really good cards so you probably want one at least.  

I had one coreset for a long time.  Just bought my second recently.  There’s so much else out there to buy, that the second core was never necessary.

from 1 to 4 players the game is excellent and scales well.  Some quests scale better then others, so some quests are better solo, some better at 4 player, but most doesn’t matter.

1&2. Limited edition will have some beautiful cards but essentially only alternate cards that you will have anyway if you follow the collection. So my advice would be to buy 1 core set. You can also add playmat, deluxe, saga and/or AP from first cycle of to follow a deluxe you order if you WANT to spend 100$ ^^. But you will have way more content this way.

3. As said you can almost play 4 players with only one core set (already 4 decks inside) and without any problem with 2 core set (that are useful to get 3 of almost each player cards anyway). But I found the 4 player game too long so I personally choose only to play 1 to 3 players game.

Come back to tell us how your firsts games happen :). And to ask about rules if something is not clear.

Thanks for all the messages! 

Learning this game through old videos with bad production but getting there. 

I have decided to get the Limited Edition, but also pick up a core set which from all accounts can support 3 players not optimally but not handicapped. I am going to Dice Tower Con, so I want to show some friends the game as stated previously we love Arkham Horror. Couple of guys played the LCG from another group but fell out of love with the game when AH:LCG came out. I like the system and the content so I shouldn't have a problem with it.

Any recommendations on videos that help learn or clear up rules would be fantastic as well.

Thanks again!